Zoter

Storing your rig....

Just been looking though some pics of peeps rigs...and I gotta stoopid question...all responses appreciated
How do your 'store' your rig when your not jumping it??
Packed, unpacked....hanging up ...in a bag...in a closet....what ?
Mines on the floor in the corner of the room, packed and under a sheet...
But i swear the I can hear the damn thing crying cause' I aint been jumping for a week !

I would definitely suggest keeping it in a bag, just found that out the hard way. Left mine out after I re-packed it and someone had to move it while I was not there. When they lifted it up, they grabbed one of the harness straps but on the other side only got the main and reserve risers in their hand. Pulled my reserve riser up out of it's part of the container, had to have my rigger open it up and put it back in. Waste of time and money that could have been avoided if it was in it's bag.

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

Depends on lenght of time.
For the winter, Put in a dark dry place, in a bag is fine. Usually both canopies are unpacked.

Between weekends, packed or unpacked doesn't matter (until you get to the DZ and you're trying to make the load that is on a 5min call). I'd suggest a gear bag or a military kit bag. Obviously still in a dark, dry place if possible.

Kit Bag

Packed and on the floor in my closet, out of the light.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Mine's on a shelf in my closet. no bag. don't have a gear bag yet.

My parents babysat my gear for a weekend (I was moving and didn't want anything to happen to it). I set it down in front of a rather out of the way cabinet that hardly anyone goes in to.

Of course, that evening, Dad decides he wants something out of that cabinet, and reaches down towards this nice and solid looking silver handle... "DAD! STOP!!! THAT'S THE RESERVE!!!" he jumped a mile.

Both mom and dad got a lesson in how a rig works before they were permitted to rig-sit. :D

Just been looking though some pics of peeps rigs...and I gotta stoopid question...all responses appreciated
How do your 'store' your rig when your not jumping it??

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet - maybe because it's bunkum? - if it's not to be jumped for a while, pull the pilot chute out of the pouch to save the boc pocket from premature bagginess.

Made sense to me, and I adhere to it; be interested to know what others think.

John

in my bed with me... we spoon every night...

I used to spoon mine at night too, but now I'm outta the closet. I spoon my rig at the DZ after every repack. Other jumpers think I'm weird, but they don't save my life on every jump, do they?

Generally, store your rig in a cool, dry, place out of the sunlight. I keep mine in the basement. If it's long term storage, I've heard of people that have had issues with mold growing on the main in really damp environments, but that's pretty rare.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

My rig is sitting safely on the floor in my closet. It has been packed for about 3 months now, is this bad for it?????:S

Not IMO. I left my rig in the closet for 6 yr's in a gear bag and before I jumped it, gave the harness container a good inspection for signs of wear or exterior damage (mice) got a fresh repack for the reserve and had to have the damn cypress checked & batteries.:(

The main worked fine with a six yr old pack job:)

After we jumped the old pack job watched a guy repacking his main after it was stored for 3 month's before jumping. so there's Lot's of different opinions on the subject, listen to you rigger and do what you feel comfortable with.

R.I.P.

I just repacked one of my rigs that has not been jumped in a while. It would have surely been a mal. This main is stuffed into a container to small for it which led to part of the problem. I had to physically unfold the canopy. Every piece of nylon had to be peeled from the nylon it was in contact with. I could yank the thing all over by the bridle and it would stay in a nice little "brick" waiting to go back in the d-bag. I have yet to jump it and find out if the permenent looking creases and wrinkles will come out.
I will never store this canopy in this rig for extended periods again. (intentionally)

Josh
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

I have seen several canopies open just fine after being in a brick state. I jumped a navigator 280 that hadn't been repacked in several years. opened just fine. DiverDriver jumped a velocity that really did look like a brick and was hard as a rock in the D bag...hooked it up to his rig jumped it...it opened fine...after a small delay...I doubt your canopy would of mal'd. the opening sequence is very very dynamic. sitting on the ground opening a canopy that is compressed for so long is very static...not the same at all. just my two pence.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Your right it may have not malfuntioned. I have jumped other rigs after a winter layoff. I have also pulled the "brick" out and put it back in the d bag and jumped it just to see what would happen.
In this case however, it took a very unusual amount of Force to seperate the nylon. It made a very clear unzipping? sound in doing so. The small nose inlets(Xaos 27) had to be individualy peeled open along with the rest of the canopy.
It is not uncommon at all for a canopy that has been packed a while to remain in its d- bag shape after it is removed. I think that is normal. This was a different situation that took me some time to pull all the panels apart so that it could even take any air in. I really doubt my tired 24" PC would have got it open clean. I think by the time/if it opened it would have substantial line twists. Mabey if I dumped above 4000 to give me time to clear everything by 1000 I would have been alright.
In regards to the Navigator you jumped: That was f111 correct? My case seemed to me to clearly have been caused by the heavy ZP coating that PA uses in combination with a very tight rig. I can not imagine an F111 canopy having this issue or even an older ZP canopy for that matter.

Josh
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.