Donk

Turkey Jump Cliff Strikes

I am not going to get into the "right and wrongs" with how these cliff strikes happened but I do think all BASE jumpers need to take into consideration that this is a "legal" site and take extra precaution to play safe and jump wisely at these precious few sites we have in the US. I'll let the detail from the incidents speak for themselves.

But I think it is paramount that "The Dude" Brian and Lee get credit for the incredible work they did on the wall rescuing both jumpers and the work done by the half a dozen of people who "first responded" and then carried Marty all the way down the talus to await life flight.

Both rescues were 100% BASE jumper operations and there were four certified (BASE jumper) first responders on sight immediately. Marty was very conscious and coherent throughout most of the rescue and extremely courageous during what was surely a painful hour long hike down the talus strapped to a back board. Had it not been for the overzealous actions of a self proclaimed lead paramedic (the uni-mog driver) who demanded air support against all other recommendation (sh!t, we could have drove Marty to Grand Junction in the amount of time it took for that helicopter to arrive) no BLM or other rescue agency would have had to be involved. Had the helicopter arrived immediately (given Marty’s age) then it might have made some sense, but considering Marty had to wait four hours for the life flight to arrive, it was ridiculous and a waste of valuable resource.

It is imperative that we not only have the skill to safely jump from an object but also have the skill to safely rescue, be prepared to administer first aid, and POLICE our legal sites when stupid things are being done.

This soap box has been jumped all over before but really needs repeating. WE only have a few legal sites in the US and we all need to do every thing possible to protect ourselves as well as preserve these sites.

Once again an outstanding job was done by all involved in both rescues: Jimmy P, Jason Bell, Kenyon, and all the other jumpers who ran up the talus to help us that I can’t recall. But again a special thanks for the skill and courage of "The dude" Brian and Lee for rigging ropes, rapping and jugging 300’ more than once, and working the wall on both rescues. YOU GUYS WERE AWESOME!!

Play safe,

Donk

It is imperative that we not only have the skill to safely jump from an object but also have the skill to safely rescue, be prepared to administer first aid, and POLICE our legal sites when stupid things are being done.

This soap box has been jumped all over before but really needs repeating. WE only have a few legal sites in the US and we all need to do every thing possible to protect ourselves as well as preserve these sites.

Once again an outstanding job was done by all involved in both rescues: Jimmy P, Jason Bell, Kenyon, and all the other jumpers who ran up the talus to help us that I can’t recall. But again a special thanks for the skill and courage of "The dude" Brian and Lee for rigging ropes, rapping and jugging 300’ more than once, and working the wall on both rescues. YOU GUYS WERE AWESOME!!

Play safe,

Donk

Stupid is as stupid does. However ACCIDENTS do happen and we should be prepared for these too. I am not arguing, just saying things happen when the smartest off us need help too.

"DUDE" is a fu*king ROCK STAR.
NOR CAL SICK BIRDS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fu*king A we take care of our own.

Amen here. Dude and Lee absolutely rock (pun intended.) I got to witness some world-class rescue from those two that day. A tip of the helmet to Dude and Lee!

Who got hurt?

Marty T. ?
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I think that we are seeing more people becoming overconfident because of their ability to survive things in Idaho. You'll have folks who have thrown something off this bridge a hundred times, and they get to Moab and think, "well, it can't be that hard, I mean, I did it in Twin a whole bunch..."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

You'll have folks who have thrown something off this bridge a hundred times, and they get to Moab and think, "well, it can't be that hard, I mean, I did it in Twin a whole bunch..."

It's not the tricks that are hard. it's the wall. I think you're right Tom--False confidence is a killer. Knowledge and experience our our saviours.
I've said it before and I'll say it again;

See Dick jump.
See DIck hit the wall
See Dick die.
Don't be a Dick.

Everyone makes mistakes. In BASE survival depends on how you deal with them. Here's hoping we all survive our mistakes.
cheers,
pope

I think there were like 5 cliff strikes with minor injuries this TDB weekend which was kind of surprising since the weather was nearly perfect all week and I dont think there was a record breaking number of jumps done. But most went unnoticed by the local community because of the great rescue work and heart of the jumpers. I recall maggot saying something like "just get me up and let everyone start jumping again...I'll hop to the fu(kin hospital" or something like that. ;)

There are some valuable lessons to be learned in this post and the other "Turkey Jumps" post. Please read, learn, and take care. Tom A's comments about the potato bridge should really hit home.

Just for clarification the two CS and resulting rescues at the Gash were from the not so surprising result of a "tard-over" off MG and then four jumps later a 90 ish left with what might have been a half line twist that very slowly turned into the wall. I could not see how many line twist or what actions the jumper took from the bottom of the Gash...but I think it is detailed in the other post from the exit point POV.

I agree, regardless of skill and experience sh!t can happen, but there is also a lot a jumper can do to minimize that risk.

In my opinion, there seems to have been a generational loss of object respect (perhaps related to Tom A's comment) and I can better appreciate the days of the IPBC, not necessarily the competition, but the camaraderie and most importantly the knowledge transfer that happened at those events. Maybe we need to add a "safety briefing" day to these "boogies" for the first time visitors to Moab or at least post something "sticky" about jumping in Moab, the risks, preparations, and BLM rules. Just a thought...but at a minimum it is each jumpers responsiblity to find a good mentor and/or learn all they can about how to safely jump from what ever object they choose.

We can be our own best allies and worst enemies...the choice is yours.

Play safe,

Donk

Maybe we need to add a "safety briefing" day to these "boogies" for the first time visitors to Moab or at least post something "sticky" about jumping in Moab, the risks, preparations, and BLM rules.

>>I second that idea. Maybe start it of with something like "This is not the same as that comfy bridge you learned off of."

It's not the tricks that are hard. it's the wall.

Nugget
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I completely agree with everything that Tom and Donk are saying. Over the years, I have seen an increasing trend that goes like this:

A person learns at the Perrine and make 50 to 100 jumps in rapid succession. During their time at the Perrine, they get bored (which is understandable) so they start hucking tricks. Then they migrate to Moab and think that after a flat and stable jump from the frozen pizza cliff, they can start throwing tricks off every cliff they find.

Each one of us is in this sport for our own reasons. Skill levels and risk tolerance vary from one person to another. Regardless, here is a piece of advice: Build your skill set slowly. Each and every object is different. Slow down and understand the risks that surround each jump you do. It takes time and experience to learn the risks that surround a particular jump (all of us are still learning each and every day, regardless of how many jumps/objects we have).

I have seen far too many people treat a BASE jump as an absolute. Example: "I've done a TARD-over off the bridge, it'll be ok here." It certain situations, it might be an appropriate move with outs if things go wrong. In certain situations it may not. Do you know the difference?

It sucks when you hit an object. For the folks on Nick's list, it sucks even more. Make no mistake about it, there's risk on every jump we do. Do you understand what you are really getting into before you leave the edge? You should. If not, you are doing a disservice to yourself and those who surround you.

Please note that my comments are not directed at those who just had accidents in Moab nor are they directed at any one individual. They are directed at the growing trends that I have observed over the last couple of years.

Adam Filippino once said: "A thinking BASE jumper is a good BASE jumper." This statement is just as much true today...

Bryan

Well put Bryan. The dilution of critical base knowledge (and a healthy fear of what we do) is going to cause more people to get hurt. Cypress Hill said it best: "when the shit goes down, you better be ready".

Cya.

Well said, I could not agree more.

Now, how do we as a community change the attitude of those jumpers? Is getting hurt the only way of learning?
Memento Audere Semper

all very good and valid points made above

and here's a weird coincidence:

the exit point is called Mari's Gash, after a jumper named Mari who got hung up on the wall following a cliffstrike..

the two guys who had clifftsrikes and got hung up on the same wall both had names (or nicknames) starting with 'M'...

which makes 3 / 3 with Mari...

cya
sam

I think that we are seeing more people becoming overconfident because of their ability to survive things in Idaho. You'll have folks who have thrown something off this bridge a hundred times, and they get to Moab and think, "well, it can't be that hard, I mean, I did it in Twin a whole bunch..."

Note to Rhonda: I am not US Bashing
In the US you have a magnificent and beautiful object, which is legal and allows anyone to learn and progress in BASE in a perfect environment. Although in your country this maybe deemed as a perfect situation to introduce BASE to people that want to enter this sport, my opinion (and I am sure others) is that this can be and is detrimental to the sport.

My first introduction to BASE was from the TF bridge, after my one jump on my FJC I went ahead and did another 6 jumps alone, and during this time met Jeb, Douggs, and 1 group of people from a DZ turn up with “these 2 BASE rigs from a friend” and huck themselves off with the training of :

One group member: “the guy who gave me the rigs taught me what I need to do”

I had a mixed feeling about what I saw at the bridge during my time there, but I was inexperienced and who was I to judge what happens at this “legal span”.

I am now more experienced (although I don’t see myself as experienced – experienced to me is a 1 in 3 object to jump ratio with over 100 jumps ( for your information I have 22 objects with around 90 jumps (and 12 months injury time)), and I review what I saw at the bridge almost 4 years ago and see that this maybe something that is becoming more and more normal.

Do you feel that having this span available to all and sundry, although is very beneficial to people who want to BASE seriously, is also opening up a world to people who want to BASE because its BASE?

At least in the countries (for example the UK) where objects are not exactly great, and if you want to BASE you really do have to run yourself through the mill, it sort of contains the people that are only in it for “I BASE”. It seems from these recent posts that the accessibility of BASE is a detriment to the sport.

I found it so hard to enter the BASE world when I first said “I want to BASE jump”, I took onboard everything I was advised….. It took me 3 years to get into it….

1 year skydiving and a FJC off a legal span seems to allow people to think they can jump anything…..

When did people getting scared jumping off a cliff suddenly become obsolete?

I could be wrong but I believe it is actually Mari's Gash. Pronounced "Mar E". Oddly enough there are 2 different jumpers named Mari.

dude,

that's what I wrote! :P

can anyone confirm if it is correct now?

What? C'mon man....you're being a BASE Nazi!

Hey I just got my "A" licence, and they won't let me jump what I want at the DZ, so fuck 'em....

I'll show them, I just got a new Credit card and signed up for a BASE FJC, and oh yeah you gotta see the bling bling rig with custom embroidery I ordered. I'm gonna be a phat ass BASE jumper.

Anyone know where I can order a "Mentor" and how much they cost? DO they come in cool colors, 'cause if I can't match it to my rig I don't want one.

How much are pack jobs anyway?

:|
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

What? C'mon man....you're being a BASE Nazi!

Hey I just got my "A" licence, and they won't let me jump what I want at the DZ, so fuck 'em....

I'll show them, I just got a new Credit card and signed up for a BASE FJC, and oh yeah you gotta see the bling bling rig with custom embroidery I ordered. I'm gonna be a phat ass BASE jumper.

Anyone know where I can order a "Mentor" and how much they cost? DO they come in cool colors, 'cause if I can't match it to my rig I don't want one.

How much are pack jobs anyway?

:|

Hey Nick,

If Russel can be a nugget, can an entire post also be a nugget?

rl

P.S. to 813: It's all good with me. You didn't write anything that wasn't true and correct.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I agree completely.

Same-same but different? NOT.

It is always different, but fortunately- similar.

So go ahead, play the game....

I know where I will put my bet.....Planet = House....HOUSE always wins.

Why not approach the puzzle like this.. I do not like to play the object strike game, there for, I will do all in my preparation not to step into that area.

All said, this is the game we play, and must prepare for the reality, which is possible every time we commit and let go.

Choices? I will always prefer to choose when things are slow, and hopefully ahead of the curve.

Take the time when you have it, because before you realize what is happening, you will be out of time and all the stuff on the inside will be on the outside.

oooh yeahhh that smarts real good.

_M

www.asylumbase.com

Choices? I will always prefer to choose when things are slow, and hopefully ahead of the curve.

Nice. Applies to much of life.

It has been just two years since my cliff strike at Moab. Some great and kindly jumpers led by Jimmy got me to Salt Lake City by helicopter. I have had three operations on my hip and I am still on a cane. I am continuing to work out daily and still do my rehab. I hope to someday start BASE jumping again. May the last two jumpers who crashed survive well enough to jump again too!
BASE 719