jimmyh

Pin Rigs Suck!

Have you ever tried to close a rig when you don't have a pull up cord? The first one's easy, then you pop that one trying to get the second one, then you wrestle the flaps as closed as they can get, then the little closing loops play hide and seek, then you realize all the laces in every pair of shoes you own are gone, then you try rolling up strips of duct tape...
Finaly I used one of the cords from a multi bridle off another canopy (hot tip) and all that took way longer than closing the vision I used to have. I miss that rig.

I mean seriously! Yonkels!

coat hangar, Needle nose pliers, any long, small enough cord, even if it's attached to something.

You can put it through all the grommets, through the closing loop then back through the grommets and then close it.

Rolled up plastic shopping bag, hmmmm... what else? I'm not quite bored enough to experiment with every thing in reach yet.

Duct tape... very clever! It should have worked.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I always have a pull up cord tying my packing clamps togeather

so if i have my clamps i have my pull up cord. also have another pull up cord tied to my rapidlink spanner. which is in my stashbag.

but iam sure i will come across a day when i dont have one. i have used shoe laces several times on my skydiving rig =)

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

Suck indeed.

How many jumps really benefit from pins? Most don't.

How many pin rig jumpers cry about pin checks at the exit point? Most do.

Velcro is the shizzle. Only few jumps/jumpers out there need the benefits of pins. Otherwise its just more headache to deal with.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

You're quite the wuss there Abbie ;)

I've seen LOADS of velcro rig jumpers get a "Gear Check" and loads of pin rig jumpers get a "Gear Check" as well.

Using a pin rig is NOT rocket science:D
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Fuck yeah I am! Oh, and I bought your old buddy JP's PII and Mojo yesterday to add to my collection of "old technology",etc. :)
I think it may have had to do with the beers I was drinking all day long, but I'm also happy with the purchase now that I'm sober.

Pin rigs are for freeflying.:P

Seriously though, wingsuit, hardcore flippidydoos, and uber low freefalls have requirements where a pin rig can apply. Other than that its more trouble than its worth.

I wanted to draw up a list of pros and cons, but I'm lazy, and also not experienced on pins at all, so I'm biased. If you want to put one up, I'd like to analyze it with everyone.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Hey, I do that even when BASE jumping...well I have been recently at least. :D:P

Hey, I do that even when BASE jumping...well I have been recently at least. :D:P

I just want to see a BASE RW 4 way turn some points. ;)
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I just want to see a BASE RW 4 way turn some points. ;)

Have you watched the BASE RW scenes by Loic and his crew in Crosswind?

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I always have a pull up cord tying my packing clamps togeather...

I keep a pull up cord in the pocket behind the MLW on all my rigs (even the velcro ones). It's saved me twice at exit points when a friend giving me a pin check managed to pop the pin accidentally.

In general, though, I agree with Abbie. Velcro rigs are lower stress for 90% of the jumps done in the U.S. today. I'll even argue the flippydoos. With a properly closing velcro rig, subterminal aerials aren't an issue at all.

I'd say that almost all the newer jumpers I see underrate velcro without any real reasons.

So, if anyone is looking to sell a used Vision... :)
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

deleted. author eliminated my confusion by editing his post.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Jimmy,next time make the loops longer then you can close it easily:P

As Tom.. my rigs also always have a cord somewere,if i lost the 2 once in my pockets..;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Abbie,the day you get another collur than pink on your main pc,i think people would listen more to you:D:ph34r:

I soon have a pin harness for sale,would you like to buy it Abbie?,oh i guess not,you wont fit:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Tom, am I reading this right?

Yes. But I had written it wrong. I edited my original post.

It should have read either "...velcro rigs are lower stress..." or "...pin rigs are higher stress..." I think I was posting too early in the morning.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The Six P's:

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Don't blame the rig, blame the rigger.

HHHmm. Keeping a pull up cord with the rig. You guys are wicked smart. I'm gonna do that from now on, but those bastards are pretty difficult for numbskulls like to keep track of. I'm the "hey could I use that pull up cord?" guy that gets really annoying.

Velcro rigs are so damn simple, I still like 'em.

I'm down to be a four way videographer whenever a team gets put together. I've been getting dizzy filming these twisty-flippy guys lately.

Have you ever tried to close a rig when you don't have a pull up cord?

Been doing that a lot just when i was too lazy to pull a cord from the pouch. It is quick and easy, if you aren't a complete dumbass.

Maybe some pepper spray stimulation will help? Apply it to your crotch for better effect. On that note, maybe you can use your schlong as a pull-up cord? It should fit nicely through the grommets ;)

bsbd!

Yuri.

You could use one of your shoe laces as a pull up cord.

Sorry ya were without on that jump.

But this brings up a good point....

Personally, I take a fanny pack with me on all jumps keeping an assortment of goodies.

I think there is another therad that talks about what one should bring in the "pack"

I keep a couple pullup cords, a knife, a wind meter, gloves, mini LED light, rubberbands, tailgates, break cord, and a raplink. Sounds like alot but dosent take up much space at all and is invaluable if in need.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

my gargoyle has a small pocket on the inside of the harness behind the 3 rings.... I keep a pull up in one side there at all times and never use it to pack (unless I am at home alone), so I always have a pull up on my rig at all times. Also on the otherside I have a small red LED so if caught in pitch black I have a small red light that I can turn on in my mouth as I close my container with my "always there handy pullup"...

Back when I started jumping - 1970s - only girls and sissies needed pull-up cords. "Real skydivers" just routed that piece of bungee cord through the grommets and stuffed a bit of folded bridle through the loop.
They were called "cheater cords." .... usually made of gutted 550 cord. Mind you, that was long before curved pins were invented.
Hee!
Hee!
It was not until the 1980s that Florida yuppies started using binding tape to close skydiving rigs.

How many jumps really benefit from pins? Most don't.

I think you're being a bit presumptious here...not only do you not hear about the vast majority of BASE jumps made, but if the pin rig is working as it's designed there's no reason you'd ever notice if there was a benefit or not, right?

IMHO, *most* jumps benefit from pinned rigs. Personally, I'd rather have a pinned rig over velcro on my back for most every jump I do, lower or higher, especially:

terminal
wingsuit
antenna/tight space among others.

I will admit though, that there is something much more comforting in hearing that velcro peel on those <300'ers...the pins popping somehow don't strike that same nerve.

Jumps have been made safely on Velcro rigs for years, and they will continue to--but the pinned rig adds a margin of safety I, for one am not willing to give up (in terms of purchasing a rig, that is). I'd have no problem jumping a velcro closed rig for certain jumps, but all things being equal *except* the closing method, I'd choose a pin-closed rig every time.

As far as those jumpers who are "crying about pin checks," keep up the good work. Be responsible for yourself, but 2+ pair of trained eyes are usually better than one.

edit: to say that next time I'll read all the posts in a new thread before posting

jimmy,bring some soft glue,others dont want to use that,and hey if you only use a small amount of glue it should come open right:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Prior to pin closed BASE rigs we did okay with Velcro. Its user dependant and almost foolproof. We weren't doing aerials on today's level but plenty of jumpers are doing gainers, tracking hard, and going long, back in the stone age of BASE. :P
A whole generation did Yosemite with Velcro rigs and I saw one manufacturer who tested them from airplanes (no tersh and a couple of terminal back loops thrown in). The later versions of Velcro rigs that tucked the leading edge of their shrivel flaps in for tracking are even better. Yes, Velcro rigs, at high speed are essentially mono-directional but when used that way they work fine. I've seen premature Velcro container openings whilst climbing around on things, but has anyone ever heard of a properly packed and maintained Velcro closed BASE rig busting open in the later stages of a freefall?

One of the reasons (and there are a bunch) manufacturers got into pin rigs is they'd now had Velcro rigs in the field long enough it's obvious not enough people are following the rule on replacing the Velcro every 75 to a hundred jumps. Velcro closed BASE rigs, even though they work so well, had served their purpose. And that function was to carry us along for years until we figured out how to make pin rigs that worked in the BASE environment. In any event you can buy a nice new Velcro closed BASE container and still have yourself a grand BASE career, thank you very much . . .

Remember, the whole nexus for Velcro closed BASE rigs is the skydiving rigs of 1983 are too complicated for short freefalls. Simplicity has always been our guardian angel in BASE jumping. Let's be careful to not get too far away from that like I see at the drop zone sometimes. Everybody is running around looking for batteries because some gizmo is on the fritz . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

...longer than closing the vision I used to have. I miss that rig.

>>That Vision died a noble death. There still some peices of it left if you want to genuflect over them!:D