BrianSGermain

PD/Big Air manufacturing partnership

Just trying to get an idea of what you folks think of PD building the Big Air Sportz.com canopies? We've been doing it this way for a few years, and the quality has been great for us. We are of course, continuing to offer "Signature Series" canopies built by Brian Germain. We are simply wondering what the jumpers think of this subcontract arrangement, and if you think we should increase the capacity of our own manufacturing facilities.

Thans for the feedback!

Sincerely,

Brian Germain
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Since I know you and how you think when the time comes for me to order one of your canopies, I'm going to want you to build it. Only because I want to know that your hands touched every part of that canopy.

Hey, I'll be at Z-Hills for the 2 point 140 ways in April. Let's do dinner again.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Having PD level of quality checks on the manufactoring of the canopies is a perfect compliment to the designs that Big Air produces. I can't think of anything I'd want more then a canopy designed by Big Air, but made at PD's factory.

Everything from the fabric inspection to the laser table, the multiple levels of quality checks to the precision of the seamstresses sewing... PD has the best facilities in the world to cut and assemble a canopy.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Brian,

For me, having my Samurai made at the PD factory was a really important factor in the purchase of my canopy. I think this is a really positive aspect to your company.
I had heard alot about the Jedi and then researched the Samurai, but having PD manufacture it made my mind up. I like the idea of having an excellently designed canopy, but made with the quality control standards of PD.

Sure, the best canopy designer partnered with the highest quality factory. Makes sense to me.

On a similar note, did you know that Jump Shack (aka. Parachute Labs, aka. Racer factory) sews Classic accuracy canopies for Eiff Enterprises?
Or that Altico (Dolphin factory) is sewing d-bags for Sun Path (Javelin factory).
There is a lot of sub-contracting within the parachute industry.

I don't allow dark colors on the ribs because that sacrifices quality. If you can visualize the construction process of an airlock parachute, we are sewing two airlockes to each rib at the same time. That means that the operator must be able to see through the rib in order to quality-control the seam as she goes. By using dark ribs, it is impossible to constantly monitor what is happening on the bobbin-side of the sewing.

That's why.

Brian Germain
President
Big Air Sportz.com

Well Brian, I have a Signature series and I jumped a Jedei for a while. so Its not big deal for me. But Having PD to Build your canopies is a great idea, because they have great facilities and great quality.
So Good choice Brian
Cielos Azules
Pablito

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito

Brian, for me the decision for a Lotus was based on your design. It has the qualities I wanted in a canopy. The fact that you ended up making it is a bonus. I believe its construction is as good if not better then PDs. Its comforting to know someone who cares about the sport of skydiving built my canopy.

Thanks
Jason Erdahl

got my Sam120 in September last year. Absolutely love it!
I can't say that having it made by PD was a decisive factor for me - having it designed by Brian definitely was B|. Anyway, knowing that PD manufacturing quality control is behind was a good thing to know making the first jump on it ;) (by the way I ended up with 6 or so line twists which I managed to kick out off. Maybe my lazy body position is to blame - it never happened after and all the openings are amazingly on heading now).

One thing I didn't quite like is the "PD-style" slider. Or actually rather small SS grommets (hard to pull the slider down the risers) and really microscopic tabs on slider collapse strings - difficult to grab wearing gloves in cold weather).

..oh by the way, I always wanted to ask - why the combination of Spectra/Vectran? OK, I know it's nice to have the break lines that don't shrink, but I mean, why not the whole Vectran line set?

The trouble with making the whole lineset out of Vectran is the short life-span. Depending on the condition of the slider grommets and opening characteristics, Vectran lines can wear out in as few as 300 jumps. That concerns me. The brakes are made from higher tensile strength vectran, and braking them is not as much of a life-and-death kind of failure. We haven't broken any of them due to wear anyway.

This decision was mae following a lot of research and discussion. It seems to be working out well, and customers seem to like the different colored brakes for packing.

Sincerely,
Brian Germain
President
Bigairsportz.com

I am not happy with how mine arrived, after much waiting, it arrived without the triangles on the end cells the used half of my choice for the stabilizer on one end and ignored the selections on the other.
But, since it had taken so long to get the canopy I just kept it as is, even though I think it looks stupid, with all turquoise on one end and a turquoise end cell with a lemon stabilizer on the other end. It does fly nicely, although openings get interesting if I don't steer through them. It tends to want to spiral to the left just after inflating.

the tendensy to try to turn after opening is on every airlock that i jumped at the moment, I use to let them dive and after a 360 they will come out, but I met a packer that my Vengance didn't want to do that, so i ask what he did for packing, he said that he doens't stuff the nose in and after that i got my samurai 105 and I did pack it like the vengance and it didn't happend again. so pack job has to do, other thing that I helps is good simetry on your legs, and i discovered that one while deploying on a track that the canopy open right on heading. but on the same tocken Brian recomends inboud stows, and that helps 2. since doing those 3 modifications i haven't had crazy searches on opening unless i have poor body position.

Edited to add, my all the airlocks canopies that i jumped are Jedei 136, Vengance 135, Vengance 120, Samurai 120, Samurai 105 Signature series.
and from the vengance 120 to the samurai 105 i did the modifications and i can count with my fingers the searching openings, I did 2 Birdman Jumps that the canopy behaved really well
just my 2 cents

Inbound stows are depending on the bad, the ones that you have 2 or 4 closing stows (depending on the manufacturer or 3) and then on the lead of the d-bag you have the rest of the stows. In Javelins and RWS they are outbound stow, because the are place on the edge of the bag. do you get the picture?

Brian,

I think that the idea of you or or company building the canopies isn't a bad one at all. If you think you can match PDs quality control or surpass it, go for it. I would think it would be more of a business decision though. I'm sure purchasing the equipment, hiring the people and setting up shop to be able to produce canopies of that quality and at some volume would be quite significant. Personally, I don't care if PD builds the canopies or some sweat shop in Honduras does...if the quality control is there, then it's all good. I would think that this decision should be more dependent upon your resources (time and money) rather than on what the masses want :> In this case, I don't think it matters if the cat is black or white.

-Rory

Just trying to get an idea of what you folks think of PD building the Big Air Sportz.com canopies? We've been doing it this way for a few years, and the quality has been great for us. We are of course, continuing to offer "Signature Series" canopies built by Brian Germain. We are simply wondering what the jumpers think of this subcontract arrangement, and if you think we should increase the capacity of our own manufacturing facilities.

Thans for the feedback!

Sincerely,

Brian Germain

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

In my oppinion, PD chose to allow the customer to bully them a bit on that issue. I guarantee they wish they could take that decision back. It creates undue stress of the sewing team, something I avoid doing at all costs. They have enough to worry about. If I wouldn't want to sew something a certain way, why should I expect someone else to do it?

The brakes are made from higher tensile strength vectran, and braking them is not as much of a life-and-death kind of failure. We haven't broken any of them due to wear anyway.

I see it the exact opposite way; Suspension lines tend to break during opening. No biggie, use the reserve. On the other hand, it's easy to snap a worn steering line when you're trying to level out after your hook turn... it has killed people before.

A lot of people jumping canopies with Vectran lines have their steering lines replaced with Dacron. Do you think the bulk of Dacron is too much to deal with or is there some other reason you don't use it?