FrancoR

How old is your container?

This question just came up on Stammtisch. We are discussing if it makes sense to have a manufacturer limit the lifetime of a container. The german parachute association used to have a limitation of 15 years that is now gone. Now nearly all manufacturers form germany and south africa limit the lifetime of their containers again to 15 years (in germany?). A limitation of lifetime can now be put up by a manufacturer, thats what new law says.

So who actually jumps an old Container?
Is there a limitation to the lifetme of a container other than not passing an inspection anymore?

Same goes for the reserve, but i am not asking that now to keep the poll defnite.
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

2 containers. 1 about 4 years old, the other is an antique by your standards. I marked "antique" because I'll admit I'm not really for aging gear out of use by rules rather than wear.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

1986 Vector I - my back-up rig

1997 Talon 2 - my primary rig

Trying to ground rigs after X number of years is a crude measurement.

Far more important measures are wear and style.

Sometimes telling a customer that you will not repack a rig more than 20 years old is a polite way of telling them to retire their faded, frayed and filthy 20-year-old POS. If you can quote some regulation published by some organization or government body, you remove the "personal" side of the argument.
On a practical note, I recently told my rigger apprentice to draw the line at 20 years. First of all, there is little 20-year-old gear remaining at Pitt Meadows. Secondly, I cannot see the point to devoting the rest of the year to teaching her how to pack rigs that she will only see once or twice for the rest of her rigging career.

As for the question of "style," everyone pick up their 1983 Para-Gear catalog and tell me how much of that gear you are still willing to jump: Sentinel AADs, light-weight round reserves, Swift 5-cell reserves, Dual Hawk containers, giant jump suits, etc?

You know it really depends on the person, and how they take care of the equipment.

I have a '96 Jav J-1, and it's in fantastic condition, and I jump in desert conditions. If it isn't in use it's in a gearbag, almost all my jumps made it indoors for repacking. I keep it out of the sun, and I don't drag the container to the bag when packing.

I've seen people with rigs that are a hair over a year old and need to be put to sleep, because, quite frankly, they don't respect the very equipment they expect to save their lives. Go figure :S