mrbiceps

phantom v firebird-r

Having flown both suits, I think they are equal in terms of stability and ease of flying.
But the newer Phantom2 does perform a lot better with regards to solid inflation and forward drive (in part due to the much larger legwing).

Both make fine beginner suits, and (depending on your skill/build) will be all you ever need to have fun in the sky with everyone.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I flew the Firebird for my first 15 or so flights. I tried a Phantom 2 down in FL this winter and I must say the Phantom 2 blows the Firebird out of the water when it comes to performance in my opinion. The inflation is vastly superior in the phantom 2 and the ease of flying was phenomenal. I fly an S-6 and the Phantom 2 had better inflation. If I was getting a new suit for fun flying I would throw down on a Phantom 2. Just my 2.5 cents.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Between the 2 mentioned the Phantom 2 would be the pick for sure but that said I would toss the Tony Suit T-bird in the mix. I flew it today 4X and I was very impressed. I have a good number of Jumps on the Phantom (close to 200 I am guessing with out looking), and only a few on a Phantom 2 but the T-bird was quite an impressive design.. EXTREMELY solid flight characteristics from an experienced jumper point of view. I additionally had an experienced jumper with about 10 other WS jumps take it up and he called it a "Cadillac" and found it not only easy to fly also got good performance out of it. I found it performed VERY well in both maxed out for time and doing some acrobatic stuff including single, double and triple barrel rolls, Backflying and just good basic fooling around! before you buy something give it a try if you can..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

thats a great photo, love that black and blue one. let me know if that guy wants to sell it. cheers

Sorry Dude, that suit (which is a Tony Mach1 BTW) is absolutely not for sale. ;)

Go for a Phantom 2. Definitely worth the extra $.

Phantom. Absolutely, positively no question in my mind.

My first wingsuit was a Firebird which I ordered brandnew, custom colours and everything. I'd put about 40 jumps on it when I had the opportunity to demo a Phantom. I immediately sold the brandnew lovely coloured Firebird and bought the used and abused, horribly coloured demo Phantom. Put about 200 jumps on it before I sold it to a friend (So I can borrow it back on occasion:P) and ordered a V3.

Seriously, it was that much better. And that was only a Phantom1!

Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I just felt the need to say Firechicken! go for the Phantom if you cant get ahold of a Tbird.... But try flyin the Tbird if you can get ahold of one... itsa nice!!
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography

Just because no one else has said it in this thread (although i know you've been told it a ton of times already on this forum)

Please wait a while before ordering any suit. You've still got quite a few jumps to go before even thinking about 'zipping up'.

There's a good article about this by Jarno on the front page of this very site. Might be worth having a read. :)
Stay safe

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I can only speak for PF. But the last Phantom2 orders Ive put through made it from submitted PDF/order form to a suit on someones doorstep in under a month.

For some suits the wait can be longer due to the amount of orders for that particular model, but in general, ordering one or two months before you intend to fly is more than enough.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Small addition (just for general knowledge) the factory is currently working at full steam and for the Phantom2 has a quoted lead time of 2,5 to 3 weeks.

And the Phantom2 orders we've put through so far have all arrived lightning fast...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I have a firebird-R, I was debating the same thing as you being my first suit. Ultimately i got the R because I was able to get it new at a screamin price when birdman ran their xmas special a year ago. It's very easy to fly and beats up on GTi's all day long, even with grippers.

I don't fly it enough to be considered even an OK WS pilot (working on that this season :)

So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

The suits don't take that long any more. The advice to wait is solid, IMO.
As to the rest of your question;
Having had/flown both, the Phantom and Phantom2 are significantly better suits (in my opinion). I flew a Firebird for a week, then borrowed one from a friend that he wanted to sell. Found a used Phantom at the same time. Flew both of them back to back. I bought the Phantom.
IMO, the Phantom or the Thunderbird are the best suits in their class.

I borrowed a Firebird for a few jumps prior to buying my first suit, a Phantom. I have several jumps on a Phantom2 prototype and just put 5 jumps on the T-Bird. Hands down I would go with a Ph2 or T-Bird. The difference in performance is remarkable.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

El Phantom es el gran caca. Compre el phantom. Mas mejor que todo los trajes de alas.

Dude not only is it a awesome suit in flying capability. The quality is bommer. I have had mine in the mud sand and rock in the base environment and it has yet to tear. When your spending a grand you want something that will last at least till the phantom 3 comes out.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." Leonardo da Vinci

ive heard these suits can take a few months to get made and in a few months i will be up to 200 jumps so im not going to wait any longer before i order one.

Why the rush to spend your money? Why not wait until you have the jump numbers, have made your first flight, have decided you actually like wingsuiting (it's not for everyone), then try a few suits yourself to see what you like to fly, THEN buy one...

Were you looking to buy a car before you'd even had a driving lesson? [:/]
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Why the rush to spend your money? Why not wait until you have the jump numbers, have made your first flight, have decided you actually like wingsuiting (it's not for everyone), then try a few suits yourself to see what you like to fly, THEN buy one...

Were you looking to buy a car before you'd even had a driving lesson? [:/]

+1

It's about like ordering brand new gear with a 280 sq ft canopy in it, before you even finish AFF.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com