steveorino

Advice for wingsuit newbie

I'm a heavy guy (5'10" - 230#) I'm an AFFI (30 jumps). TI (500 jumps), vidiot (1000 camera jumps)

I jump at a single cessna DZ. Since Birdman Mike Swearingen (sp?) left, there are no wing suiters at the DZ. However, I need a change of pace from always being an Instructor. I'd like to purchase a wingsuit for some solo jumps. Any advice? I've read the stickys. Anybody know how to get ahold of Mike S.?

steveOrino

However, I need a change of pace from always being an Instructor. I'd like to purchase a wingsuit for some solo jumps.

How often would you be flying a wingsuit?

Probably 1-2 times a week before and after Instructor jumps and maybe more during the slower Winter months

steveOrino

At $600, I think the Tonysuit Intro is a great way to start, and then when you master it, you can trade it back in for $400 a new suit. You can easily flock with it and use it for everything that you'd want a wingsuit for. (Cue the Tom Waits "Step Right Up" lyrics here.)

And if you want to find Purple Mike, all you really need to do is hold out a camera and yell, "Pictures!" and he will magically appear.

/No, I am not a Tony sales rep and I get nothing for his sales of suits. I just think he and his team make a good product.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Getting an suit from either Tony-Suits (Aerobat), Phoenix-Fly (Acro2 or Phantom2) or FlyYourBody (S-fly) is probably the range of choices suitable for what you mention.

With the final choice coming down to personal preference in terms of which actual manufacturer you (or others) choose/recommend.

All will be great deals..so dont stress the choice too much..

All offer a quick-rigging zipper system (no longer the old cable systems). Meaning you can lap the suit on your rig in a heartbeat, and catch that last fun-jump after you're done with tandem/AFF/whatever work jumps...

needing 10 minutes to put a wingsuit on your rig can mean just missing that last sunset load
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Advice for a newbie huh?
Hmmm...
Don't forget the sunscreen.
Silly putty does NOT work in a toaster.
If you're going to crash in the Andes and have to turn cannibal, don't eat clowns. They taste funny.
Never sneeze in the toilet.
Trifle not with the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
It is physically impossible to have sex with an elephant. The best you can do is have sex AT an elephant.
Keep your shoulders level, bend a bit at the knees, rear up a little and shut down your tailwing as much as possible to minimize linetwists.
Any questions?
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Congrats! Welcome to the flock. Wish I coulda gone with you....draw a cartoon strip, will ya?
Takes a little while to get that arch thing out of your system, especially after you've been doing it as long as you have.

GREAT shot! Steve! Better than any cartoon!

IMO, for your size, there are only a few choices.
Tonysuit Raptor
Tonysuit Mach1
Phoenixfly Stealth

Since you wanna be able to flock...look at these suits. You're a BIG boy.
I love my Mach1....FWIW.

GREAT shot! Steve! Better than any cartoon!

IMO, for your size, there are only a few choices.
Tonysuit Raptor
Tonysuit Mach1
Phoenixfly Stealth

Since you wanna be able to flock...look at these suits. You're a BIG boy.
I love my Mach1....FWIW.

I was wondering about this. But didn't wanna ask because last time I got torn to pieces for not having enough jumps. If someone is a big guy should that play a factor in what suit is chosen? Even if they are only a beginner? Right now im using the smallest wing we have for demo at my DZ.