arlo

SERVICE BULLETIN for folks with hip rings

basically, people (myself included) have been using rubber bands on their hip rings to secure the bottom of their shirts for freeflying to prevent the shirts from flying up and covering our handles. yep tucking the shirt in or wearing a freefly suit would minimize this.

anyhow, the rigging dept at rws discovered that this causes wear on the harness.

this information can apply to all rigs. Relative Workshop has it on their website and i think it's good info to put out there for everyone. I know that I do this with my stuff when i freefly in street clothes.

thanks to the rigging dept at rws for bringing this to folks' attention.

arlo

please refer to: CLICK HERE TO SEE PICS.

they're just rubber bands that are looped thru your hip rings. you pull your t-shirt bottom edge thru the rubberband and it keeps your shirt from blowing up and over your handles.

click on the link that i edited to say "CLICK HERE TO SEE PICS" in the original post and you'll see what they're talking about....

Anyone got a picture of these shirt stows? I can't picture them, or how they would work.

There are pictures if you follow the link to the service bulletin
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Funny how a simple piece of cotton can accelerate a wear pattern.
Rigging Innovations first noticed this wear pattern about a decade ago, but only on rigs that had more than 800 jumps in the Arizona desert.
I wonder if Swedish links - used by some photographers to anchor their wings cause a similar wear pattern?

Funny how a simple piece of cotton can accelerate a wear pattern.

I think you mean a simple piece of rubber.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Does anybody use alternative methods to hold t-shirts in place, I jump with freefly pants and I just tuck it inside my pants, the bottom part comes out all the time...any ideas?

--
--
Blue Skies
NO FEARS, NO LIMITS, NO MONEY...
"A Subitánea et Improvísa Morte, Líbera nos, Domine."

Does anybody use alternative methods to hold t-shirts in place, I jump with freefly pants and I just tuck it inside my pants, the bottom part comes out all the time...any ideas?

--

ive been doing the rubber band thing on an off...good reason to not now it seems..

if your shirt is long enough that blowing over your handles could be an issue its probablly long enough to pull thru the hip ring and make a quick knot. large enough it can pull thru easily. I have one shirt i do this to all the time and it keeps it down very nicely although it does wear on the shirt some..

How about upside down suspenders

Those are called shirt stays. I wore them daily while in uniform for 4 years while in the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M.

They are wildly uncomfortable and not really applicable, especially since they don't hold well to "sport" socks, but do really well with nylon dress socks.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

--

A lot of people at my DZ attach their shirts front side to its backside with a simple strap with a plastic "clipse" between their legs. You can see similar clipses being used in backpacks that have a cheststrap. Works well..

dont jump in inappropriate clothing,
I wear street clothes often, but only the ones with draw cord or elastic waits, and ALL my Tshirts are long enough too tuckin:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Anyone interested in shirt stays to try and see how they work can e-mail me. I can get them and make them available to anyone who would like to try them to keep their shirts tucked in.

Jack Rumple
Discopants & Haircuts
[email protected]
Packin' Jack
42nd Lost Prairie: The Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe, and Skydiving
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009
2007 photos: http://www.skydive.com/prairie/pages/prairie.htm

i was free flying in jeans and had the same problem..

however.. and this is patented Macca technology...

take a rubber band each side, loop it through you belt loops on your jeans. Secure T to that... Jobs a goodun B|
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I just tuck it inside my pants, the bottom part comes out all the time

I like to freefly with only shorts and a t-shirt - the extra drag of jumpsuits seems to make it harder for me. I just tuck my shirt into my pants, and it seems to work, however, I don't do a lot of transitions, so that's probably what keeps my shirt in.

I sense another rig mod coming to address this issue. Like that little piece of elastic that holds your leg straps together. I'm sure it will be just as controversial, too :P
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD