Blahr

The Zero-P jokes on me [;)]

My new gear arrived yesterday!

All this time, while reading posts involving the difficulties involved in packing Zero-P, especially brand new zero-P, I had previously always thought to myself

"Sheesh, quit your crying! How f***ing hard could it be? Slippery...BAH!" (Cuz thats the kind of bastard I am)

B|

Took me about 60 or 70 minutes just to get the thing back in the container, its FAR too big, totally messed up, who the hell knows where the slider ended up (Cleveland I think), lines everywhere, and I wouldnt wish that pack job on my worst enemy.

The trouble didnt seem to stem from slipperyness, but rather, from the fact that
the thing seems to want to inflate like a baloon if its not constantly being compressed. If it was just slippery there wouldnt be any problem.

At this point I have NO idea how this is manageable! Fortunately I remember thinking the same thing 9 years ago about my PD-190 and I got that under control eventually so I'm hoping that if I just keep hammering away at it, the same thing will happen here :-)

Any helpful liitle tips that people have picked up along the way to deal with this
problem are most welcome :)

$5.00 is your best friend.

I knew a guy that had a new Sabre. He couldn't pack it and paid packers. One day, all the packers were busy and he sat around and couldn't jump. He was completely reliant on others for packing and maintaining his gear. When these people weren't available, he was stuck on the ground. Last I heard, he doesn't jump anymore.

Learn to pack. Learn what to look at on your gear and how to perform user mainanence.

Learning to pack ZP is difficult, but once you learn, it isn't difficult to pack ZP.

Derek

$5.00 is your best friend.

I knew a guy that had a new Sabre. He couldn't pack it and paid packers. One day, all the packers were busy and he sat around and couldn't jump. He was completely reliant on others for packing and maintaining his gear. When these people weren't available, he was stuck on the ground. Last I heard, he doesn't jump anymore.

Learn to pack. Learn what to look at on your gear and how to perform user mainanence.

Learning to pack ZP is difficult, but once you learn, it isn't difficult to pack ZP.

Derek

I hear ya. Depending on others is not my way. I intend to become proficient in this ASAP.
Additionally, I pay a guy to pack my main 4 times and there goes a jump I
could have enjoyed.

Packing ZP fabric is like drinking from a spitoon: you cannot stop until you are finished.
But seriously, the best way is to straighten something, then clamp it with your knee. Then straighten something else out and clamp it with your knee. As long as you have a knee on the canopy, air cannot seep back in.

I'm a lot like you Blahr, I want to be very self reliant, and I'm even going to become a rigger soon probably. I just got MY first rig yesterday, from the same dealer as you... she had mentioned to me ours were due on the same day. After my first jump, it took me an hour to repack the thing (3 attempts at bagging). I am going to the DZ in a few minutes to jump that pack job. Should be interesting. Unlike you, I do see the slipperyness to be a problem. Mainly because to keep it from reinflating (like you pointed out is necessary) you need to put pressure somewhere. On the old Spectres I was renting I could just put the pressure straight down. On this brand new Spectre doing that will cause shit to squirt everywhere and lose shape, since it's slippery.

Here are a few things that helped me finally get it in the bag, keep in mind mine is a 170 so probably you have it even worse than me.

1) When getting it all narrow to prepare for s-folds, it is imperative to get a grip on the thing from the bottom... hold the skin together tightly so it can't get any wider. Hope this makes sense.

2) Someone showed me this when I first started packing... a very easy way to get it in the bag. Make your s-folds in two steps. Make the part furthest away from the line and slider first. Put that in the bag. Then you can squeeze some more air out and nestle the slider warning label area into the pocket you just created. The end result is the same, you shove less into the bag at once. Also, you don't even have to put your whole first s-fold in the back at once. While squaring out that first portion to insert into the bag, there are two "corners" that need to be created on the material to fit it in the bag, if that makes sense. Rather than try to make them both at once, I make one really good, pull that corner of the bag over (kinda diagonal crooked), then hold that part of the bag with my knee while I'm squaring out the other corner of the packed material now, which is currently huge from being squirted out when I inserted the first corner.

Hope that makes sense, good luck... we'll see how today goes with mine.

P.S. You would not believe how many people at the DZ yesterday just told me to pay packers for the first 50 jumps. I'm with Hook, I want to learn for myself, and I find it hard to believe that so many people are eager to encourage me not to. Also, I had a PD guy tell me to pack really good for the first 50 jumps so the canopy develops memory. If that's true then there's another reason it would be stupid to pay packers... unless they all pack the same and you're going to pack just like them!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hi Matt,

Congrats on your rig. Yeah Arlo told me about your rig too B|

Yesterday rocked! Sadly I must wait till next weekend to jump mine :(

I'll be posting some pics of mine (once I take some)

You are right, the slipperyness IS a problem. But without the thing trying to reinflate it would be a far more manageable problem :-)

Your tips do make sense, thanks. Part of my problem is that I have NEVER packed ZP before and the last time I packed anything at all was 8 years ago.

I'm certain time (not packers) will resolve all of the problems. And all the tips I can get too!

Best of skill (not luck) today!

When I hear about people that has a hard time pakking zero-p, I always think that its new to them and the only thing to do is practice.

The first time you do something it is always hard, and the only way to get better is to do it again.
Do the math...

$5.00 is your best friend. :)

In Finland we pack our own gear from jump no.1 I think its very good to know how to pack. Its also a safety matter IMO. Its very good to understand how your gear works. Just knowing "when I pull the PC it opens" isnt enough in my opinion.

I get really good laughs when someone posts DZ.com : "I have 50 jumps , Should I soon learn how to pack ?"

Come on..please !!

In Finland we pack our own gear from jump no.1 I think its very good to know how to pack. Its also a safety matter IMO. Its very good to understand how your gear works. Just knowing "when I pull the PC it opens" isnt enough in my opinion.

I get really good laughs when someone posts DZ.com : "I have 50 jumps , Should I soon learn how to pack ?"

Come on..please !!

I dont know who (if anyone) actually advocates NOT learning to pack till 50 jumps. I've never heard of anyone that supports this.
When I started jumping I was taught to pack right away and was jumping my own pack jobs well before I got my A license.

BEER!

Dude, congrats on the gear and take your lumps and learn to pack it. $250 (for 50 packs jobs) is also 10 or more bonus clear and pulls from the top - double bonus 'cause you have 10 more jumps of full flight experience AND you've learned the techniques!

Matt (the111) has it right with the 'fold the fat bit first' technique as far as making your life easier. I have a tip on ensuring your slider stays away from Clevland ;):

Make sure you have control over your lines from the get go. Weights in your main tray. Tie the 3 rings together with your pullup cord. Always maintain line tension. Do NOT let your friends hurry you or otherwise distract you from the point where you flatten the pack job until it's got the locking stows, um, locked.

When you're bagging the final bit, if the tail roll has loosned just stick your hand in and ensure the slider grommets are against the stops. You really have to f@#% up to actually pull the material inverted or to un-quarter it. It's less important, IMHO, that the tail is tight shut than that the slider is in the correct position.

More likely, the grommets have moved an inch or 2 and you just need to re-secure them before you make the locking stows. Once those stows are made, ain't nuttin' gonna move the slider till the wind says so! Also, when you're making that final fold, make sure you have control of the lines (grab the lineset with one hand, use the other hand to stuff the stuff in, use your knees to hold the bag)

I've made some pretty ugly and messy pack jobs on new ZP loaners observing the above techniques and there seems to be no problem with a messy pack job as long as those basics are covered. That is:

- the slider is right against the stops before you do the locking stows
- you've done a 'decent' job of the pleating and arranging of the C D, and steering lines
- you've maintained line tension during the pack job ("my" secret)

-Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Well I've been practicing all day. :-)

Got it down to 30 minutes, the slider and lines remain in the same zip code, and
I would not hesitate to jump it.

Thats a lot better. If I can shave it down to 15 minutes I'll be really happy but this is acceptable.

The big thing that made my life a lot easier was getting as much air out as possible before I start to fold it. That seemed to make a big difference.
I feel much better.

Thanks for all the tips!

Now the jokes on you Dterrick! I dont drink anymore so no beer for you!
;)

don't give up! i'm dea sure you'll handle your canopy after a few packjobs.
though i must admit there _are_ hard to pack zp-canopies. depends on the manufacturer of the zp. some of it is slippery as hell and some of it is just fine to pack from day one (love my nitro! B|)

just some weeks ago i heard a newbie swear over his packjob - turned out he had a fairly new student-rig with zp-canopy. i asked if he wanted a hand. he agreed and two minutes later_I_ was swearing:S. so even if you _know_ how to handle zp it's never the same
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Man, I hear you!

I have a very tight fitting safire 189 with 10 jumps on it fitting into a seemingly way too small bag! I've been managing, but it's rough! The trick about doing the top part first has really helped me out. Even the packer here told me he has trouble getting it into the bag. The good thing is everytime we keep packing it and jumping it... it gets easier. So even if you can barely do it now... as experience grows and material becomes more manageable it should be no prob for us soon!

Gool luck to you man!
You'll get it

Chaps
Carpe diem

I must say, it is kind of nice to hear that other people are having tough times with packing as well. I now don't feel so alone. Granted you are all speaking of packing ZPs and tight fitting canopies while I can't even pack the simplest canopy without help, but it is still nice to know not everyone gets it right away. I have just recently done my 21st jump and I still need coaching when it comes to packing. Everyone at my DZ is so friendly and glad to take the time to help me, but the problem is I need repetition. Everyone has their own different tips and tricks to teach me and sometimes it gets confusing. Then if I only get in one or two jumps then have to wait a week to get back to the DZ, I will forget so much of what I learned. Sometimes it just seems hopeless, but I am hoping the purchase of my own rig (which should be very soon) will help me out a lot. l figure it will be so much better if I can take it home and practice pack over and over while watching the video my friend lent me. I am just thankful that I have so many supportive people looking out for me. I will get it one of these days, just wish me luck! ::grin::
~~~~
Rachel
~~~~~~~~~~~
-Converting the world one whuffo at a time.

I have a method that I show people but it can't be easily described. But your not alone. When I got my first ZP canopy I had about 1000 jumps, paid packers didn't exist, I'd been a rigger for 8 years, and it took me ten packjobs before I got one I'd jump.;) One hit. Do not put your knee on it and put all your weight on it. That will only make it squirt out. You can put you knee on it but keep your weight on the other knee and only put enough weight on the canopy to keep it in place. I also make a corner of my two knees, my left at the left side of the stack and my right behind the stack. This gives you a corner to work into. Have fun.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

at my DZ you start at jump 2 usually, cause it's already packed when you get the rig...
I have 350 jumps, now I should learn how to pack properly :P:P:P
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

hmmmm..... as others have said, best to be able to pack yur own shit buuuuuuuuutttt..... i would have to guess that the $100 you pay for the first 15 pack for hires on a new canopy is money well spent.
namaste, motherfucker.