Weeeee

You know you're a real Wingsuit flyer when ...

It's a new sub-discipline: CROSS COUNTRY WINGSUIT.

I'm thinking about that for a while,
- have a good briefing on the ground by going on the places where you could land and look at every danger (high voltage infrastructure ecc).
- Keep in mind that wind could change and you will probably need some secondary landing area
- jump upwind
- ride your canopy upwind
- .... if it's possible following a road ....
- bring your cell phone with you
- AND TELL THE DZ OWNER YOU ARE GOING TO LAND OUT AND YOU ALREADY HAVE A CAR 4 U !
- bring something with you to kill the time while you wait 4 the car.... B|
- Measure how many Km U are away from home
Marco "Pazzo" Pistolesi
pistolesi.marco(at)gmail.com

now that sounds like a good night. Mind if i tag along? I can bring my own comedy red nose!

Please do come along. We'll show you the seedier sides of Amsterdam. ;):S:D

Theres a seedy side to amsterdam??
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Isn't that a little harsh? You sound almost as if you think there should be a penalty for landing out, or it should be held against the lander somehow. Landing out is going to happen as part of a learning curve, it takes awhile to learn how to read winds and your slope. Flying with others slows this learning curve down a bit since you're paying attention to your wingmate, not just drift and slope and its easy to suddenly realize the picture ain't quite right and you blew it. I wouldn't want to have an inhibition against giving up and landing out. Generally my first priority is to -not- die of gethomeitis like this guy I used to know. Didn't even have a wingsuit, but reluctance to consider his outs till too late still bagged him. Its been awhile since I landed out, myself but I'd cut me some slack for the future since sooner or later I'll probably misread the winds down low or whatever.
That said, I've been guilty of stretching some spots so far they should charge me mileage and relying on rear riser ninja tricks to get me out of it. If I was smarter I wouldn't have to.
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

I think Matt's got a little truth there - at Z-hills at least, a WS is expected to get back from any spot (a reputation we got from highly experienced WS fliers there). Now that we have been experimenting with the acrobatics, there have been a few experienced WS fliers getting verbal abuse from the other jumpers for not being able to make it back - they just see the WS and have no idea we are not just flocking back to the DZ.

With repetition, this may be exaggerated by the non-WS jumpers and begin to influence future WS jumpers' expectations to the point where it's mistakenly believed, "if you fly a WS, you're going to land out alot"...

...or he could be talking about something completely different, but I could see this happening too.

Back to the thread topic:

You go on a FF jump with friends, track away at breakoff and click your heels together :P!

Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

What kind of moron lands out at Z hills? I can't beleive thats even possible... Next you'll tell me people get injured too..! :D
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Isn't that a little harsh? You sound almost as if you think there should be a penalty for landing out, or it should be held against the lander somehow. Landing out is going to happen as part of a learning curve, it takes awhile to learn how to read winds and your slope.

I will reiterate my position. There is no reason for an experienced wingsuit pilot to land out often.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

reply to "I will reiterate my position. There is no reason for an experienced wingsuit pilot to land out often. "

You know you're a real wingsuit flyer when :

- you turn away from the flock mid-flight and dump high to ensure you get back to the DZ.

- you allow yourself to learn from your own experiences not have others force feed you.

- your spot in the plane up near the pilot is automatically reserved for you.

You know you're a wingsuit flyer when:

- the DZO threatens to start charging you an extra fuel surcharge for your jump tickets because you are constantly taking the jump run way, way out after everybody else in the plane has left

- you speculate about "what if DB Cooper had a wingsuit?"

Isn't that a little harsh? You sound almost as if you think there should be a penalty for landing out, or it should be held against the lander somehow. Landing out is going to happen as part of a learning curve, it takes awhile to learn how to read winds and your slope.

I will reiterate my position. There is no reason for an experienced wingsuit pilot to land out often.

I will second that. I haven't ever landed out in a wingsuit (over 900 flights now). Nope, that's a lie. I landed out one time at Deland following Asaf Fishelson like a moron.

Ultimately, navigation skills do need to be tightened up in some peoples' cases. There really is no reason to land out in a wingsuit.

Landing out often= ever heard of a low cloud base? Trust the pilot and fly towards that cloud.. yeah.. the one that looks like a turtle..
try that one out a few times and lets see where you land... hehehehe
i like landing out.. if its on the beach!!!

blue skies,
dan
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

if its easy to accidentally land out on the beach, then i really hope you don't land out about a half mile on the wrong side of the beach someday :o:S

really tho, landing out isnt bad unless you have shitloads of trees, lots of powerlines, and a high concentration of crocodile farms nearby. It would also suck to land in the middle of a maximum-security prison with a pink jumpwingsuit and canopy...

not that i have either of those.... (no, really.. i dont)

edit: fixed a dumb mistake... this is the wingsuit forum after all...
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

:)You know you're a real wingsuit flyer when you have a pink wingsuit.

You know you're a real wingsuit flyer when you have a SILVER wingsuit, and look like a flying microwave dinner, and dont think there's anything wrong with that!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

-or whilst in a fast tracking dive you dump with both hands without slowing down!!!!

Happened to me once, was very funny but kinda sore.
Drags me down, like some sweet gravity...
Nightwing has stirred, and taken to flight...the silence is over, he's shattered the night!!!

You know you're a real Wingsuit flyer when ...

- the freefliers start asking you for pin checks.
- the pro tandem guys ask for flybys.
- students tell you they're only doing AFF so they can fly wingsuits.:)