SimonM

'Production' sugargliders

Hi All,

I did a jump with two production sugargliders on Saturday (I was on my S3). I understand that they are 99% in their final form with some minor details to sort out. I will try to get some pics to post soon.

The suits look great, with excellent finishes and attention to detail. The wings are big- much bigger than the S-fly and the suit has lots of vents for wing inflation. The arm wings go almost down to the foot, but the leg wing is a bit shorter than on some of the proto-types. There is a large (bigger than S3) 'tail wing' at the bottom of the rig.

On exit the Sugargliders got flying almost instantly - I could see first one flying alongside the plane from my position inside the door. They seem to have *lots* of lift. We were not able to do much of a flocking dive due to a combination of me being caught by surprise at their slow vertical speed and the Sugarglider pilots concentrating on flying their suits (they only had 2 or 3 jumps each). The suits seemed to have lots of range and a decent amount of forward speed.

Cant wait to test one out and get to do more flocking jumps.

Simon

There is a large (bigger than S3) 'tail wing' at the bottom of the rig.

Can you go into more detail here. Do you mean to say that this suits leg wings are vented ,like the Skyflyers and vampire, with a pass through to the back?

I think he means 'Rear Deflector'. See pics on FBM.

Kris.

The back deflector pouch is vented through a tube from the front which allows air to inflate the pouch (this smoothes out the line/airflow coming off the rig ) but air is also escaping between the leg wing and the pouch, acting like a slotted wing to smooth out airflow over the top of the wing ... like the birdman suits ... we have just tapered the shape of the pouch down to the ankle to create a more even and flowing line for the air to flow into and over ... in general you can say that we have simply refined existing features of both the birdman and crossbow suits.. and more importantly I think, filled in the gaps... I have to credit the makers of those suits though because we have based our Sugarglider on them.. where we go from here however is gonna "come out of the blue"... we have 9 pilots flying our current production model... we are taking orders on this suit although we are constantly testing new improvements... our wingsuit development is dedicated to to taking the possibilities of direct human flight to a totally new level...

(pronounced G - jii is the force that makes you fly!)

Jii-Wings - no strings!

who were the pilots and do you have an idea of what the SG is going to retail for?

The pilots were two of the carrots (Rainier and I forget who else). They have a reasonable amounts of jumps on classics and lost of other jumping experience.

I dont know what pricing is like, but I am going to find out!

I think he means 'Rear Deflector'. See pics on FBM.

Yes, exactly.
Those pics are the same as the suits I flew with.

Simon

Just to give You an idea or rather quick perspective when,
I overlapped the S3 on top of the SG,
I also drew an "ant line" to reflect the outline of the SG tail

hope this helps

Peej: pricing on the SG I think its still being worked out, but I suspect pricing will be the neighborhood of the other advance suits.

best regards
paul

Keeping it real 22x7

The pilots were two of the carrots (Rainier and I forget who else). They have a reasonable amounts of jumps on classics and lost of other jumping experience.

OMG I hope they didn't build Orange and Green Sugargliders :o:S:P:P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I really wonder how it compares to the S3. It should be more "floaty" but about forward speed and overall glide ratio?

Here we go again.... :S:P

Do a seach on here in regards to everyones personal thoughts.....

There is NO real hard data from the 2 different style suits being flown by the same pilot.

Though Paul (speedformula) may have just about every suit on the market now? :D

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Do a seach on here in regards to everyones personal thoughts.....

That's constructive ;)

I could not find any info on the sugarglider...

All I would like to know is how it compares to the S3 for overall glide ratio, that's all.

It seems to me it has more surface than any other suit I have seen.
Memento Audere Semper

The original poster said he flew his S3 with the two SG's, so maybe he could comment on how he was flying. Granted, they were learning to fly the suits so it won't mean a whole lot, but it would still be interesting to know...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

If it's the carrots, then it's was either Rainer, Fester or Louie. They had their SG's at the Desert Boogie in Swakop in Dec. Obviously orange and green colours, they're the carrots!

They said that they're still learning to fly the suit and that it's loads more twitchy than anything else they've flown. How it flys with other production suits? They reckon there's a guy in SA called Julian who flys the crap out of the thing and as I understand it, totally outflys all other suits. But that could just be the pilot.
They reckoned the price to be about R6000+ which kinda compares to the other high performance suits on the market.

Caw-caw,
Courteney.
...drags me down like some sweet gravity!!!

<< In reply to: >>
There is NO real hard data from the 2 different style suits being flown by the same pilot. >

True.

Altough the SG has been around for a while ( In house mostly in SA) as far as I know this is the only suit in the U.S>
perhaps it will take some 50 ,60 jumps to really come up with an educated conclusion as to what are each suit's particular flying characteristics and also how they compare to each other.. ie performance , glide ratios, etc.

but basically , your flying longer and slower with the SG..nothing nobody has heard before.

paul

Keeping it real 22x7

perhaps it will take some 50 ,60 jumps to really come up with an educated conclusion as to what are each suit's particular flying characteristics and also how they compare to each other.. ie performance , glide ratios, etc.

Hmmm, we should wait until 2007 to hear your results then? :D

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

The original poster said he flew his S3 with the two SG's, so maybe he could comment on how he was flying

I wouldnt read too much into it as I am not (yet) getting anywhere near the results others are from the S3 (low 50's vertical and around 1:1 glide ratio (measured by GPS).

The flocking portion of the flight was too short to really get anything more than an impression. The impression is that the Sugargliders float as expected but have more forward speed than expected and probably great glide ratios.

Simon

Wow, that looks like an awesome suit:D;) but there are definitely some modifications that need to be made... [i.e.] the double zipper (like the S3) is much more efficient in getting in and out of it, especially a suit of this size. And just a question... I see that you have the cutaway system on the arm and not the body but where are the cutaway handles?

<3
~ Cyn
--going nowhere at lightening speed!--