ManBird

1st WS BASE Jump

http://www.deepart.org/files/MB1stWS.BASE.wmv

Did two WS BASE jumps from the Italian terminal wall. Yeah, I pulled high (like halfway through the potential dive). Whatever. I had some gear fear (1st time on that rig and PC) to overcome. Sort of head-low for a sec and pretty turbulent in the "bowl", but the glide felt really nice once I got going.

I didn't expect to get the visual/feeling that I got -- as you outtrack the talus and the ground gets further away, it gives you the sensation that you are flying up. TOO COOL! B| I need to work on my BASE skills a bit more and then hit Norway next year. The giant talus here makes it tough to judge altitude for a BASE low-timer like me (and this is way bigger than the biggest thing I've ever jumped).

Uncle Charlie floats like a bastard. It was cool watching him fly towards me from the landing area on the first jump and from the side on the second one. Sounds like a little jet. Good times!

Edited to make clicky. Also, the descent was 2,100' in about 31s. So like 46mph average (my favorite fall rate for a good glide). I GPSed the first jump, and will get a glide together later. I was more than halfway between the exit and the landing area, but sure how much more. Bla bla bla...
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Dude, Ya... had me, only slightly concerned for your well being
only as far as your Growing BASE skills,
But it sounds like you got a good handle on your First
Wingsuit, Cliff, Base with a new virgin pin Rig, never jumped, before you left. ;)
Nice job....
see..ya...soon

nice, just a little question, would you explain the "going head low" by deploying the legs too soon ??

On a dead air exit, if you open the leg wing too quickly, it catches far more air than the arm wings and throws you into a head low position. This actually isn't too bad if it's a moderate one and you can fly out of it, but head low is _the_ position to avoid on a BASE jump.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

nice, just a little question, would you explain the "going head low" by deploying the legs too soon ??

Yes. I was just too amped. Need to smooth it out and spend more time opening the leg wing. It didn't last too long and I was flying pretty quickly thereafter. However, this is something I want to correct before doing 1,500' - 2,000' stuff or stuff that's less sheer.

I need to do more balloon jumps and learn more about what good objects in the US.

Click

I had the pleasure of accompanying ManHawk :P for his first WS BASE flight.

The dodgy camera work was also mine :$.

ManHawk did an excellent job. I was most impressed with his attitude, approach and preparation - a good role model.

MH flies like a missile - the sound was incredible (louder than me:() Making the bar will not be a problem when you come next year
;)

I also picked up some tips on position as I'm still a way off that magic 2.5 GR ;)

ManHawk is truelly at one with the birds...

Nice Steve!!!!!!! I would assume your now back from your trip. Love your new rig:)I just noticed you got a chest mounted alti too, cool or were you just borrowing one.
Kirk

I actually just rigged my Neptune up to my chest strap to look at after I opened, and to see if it logs the jump (looks like it didn't log the jumps, but the altimeter worked).

The wsExtreme kicks ass. I have a hard time closing it -- new to pin rigs, my pack jobs are big and sloppy, and the rig is very small -- but it kicks ass just the same. I used it on the 600' S, as well. Works just fine. I used the floor plate option the whole time (didn't bring the standard top closing loop). Once you see it packed up, it looks like there's a sub-200 in there. Very cool.

At first, I wished that it had a stash bag pocket, but I found it easy enough to just wear the stash bag under my suit (though I did need some help getting it situated). I just wore it under my jacket for the bridge jump.

It's super comfy, as well. The location and size of the hip rings and laterals give a lot of room between tabs on the wingsuit. This is overlooked on most rigs that claim to be "wingsuit friendly". You know the whole "three wing tabs from the top" hookup concept? It applies perfectly here. The lack of three rings is a trip -- no cutting away -- but no heading weirdness that can come from riser covers. The dynamic corners, and the way you do a low-profile pack with the floor plate, pretty much guarantee that you won't have issues with the canopy or tailpocket bumping the tray.

It's a very well thought out rig and the quality is top notch. Plus it looks cool. :)
Should be out jumping this weekend.

Click

Congrats dude ... I'm jealous. Then again, you've got more wingsuit experience than I do. Hey am I mistaken or have you signed up for the ground launch training in CA in November? If I'm not mistaken, then I'll see you there. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over