Lioness

Javelin Odyssey purchase..

OK so I'm getting ready to finally buy gear. I'm 95% sure of what I want. Planning on buying a new Javelin Odyssey harness/container/reserve, and will buy a used canopy. Now my question is... where would I find the best deal for the new stuff? I noticed the manufacture website is pretty pricy, and they even say to go to a dealer for a discount. Haven't had too much luck in finding a dealer for much cheaper. I plan to hit up my DZO to see if he is able to get me a better deal. Any suggestions on other dealers?
The harness may need to be customized to fit my small frame. But I also have a rigger available to me to do any adjustments. Should I buy the smallest size for me and my canopy and just have my rigger customize it if need be?
Lead-time is an issue as well, as I want it as soon as possible. Thanks for listening. And thanks in advance for any response. :)

Saving a hundred bucks or so shouldn't be the reason you chose to buy from a particular shop. You want someone with a background and performance record that isn't going to leave you high and dry if everything doesn't go as planned (which is certainly can!).

Call around to some shops and talk with some people, get a feel for them and go with someone that makes you comfortable, not just whomever is cheapest.

You get what you pay for, and you're paying partly for after-the-sale customer support here...

Also, you've picked one of the most expensive rigs on the market...don't expect to get it super cheap...or super fast. Sunpath lead times are notoriously long. If you want to spend a bit less and get your rig a bit faster, look at other manufacturers. Velocity Sports Equipment comes immediately to mind. They build the Infinity.

Congrats on stepping into your first rig!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I've bought a couple of new rigs from your DZO, and will likely buy my next one from him.

I'm not sure about the customized harness. Does Sunpath do that as a matter of course, charge extra, or just not do it? I wouldn't consider having anything on a new rig changed locally, if I could have the manufacturer do it.

At your number of jumps, I'd suggest buying used, unless the harness fit is really difficult to find. You will get used gear quicker and much cheaper. Right now, you should be using larger main and reserve canopies than you will want to use after you have a couple of hundred jumps. Ask around about used gear. Check with the other local dropzones, at least one of which stocks a good bit of quality used gear. Find someone independent and knowledgable, to make sure that you are getting good gear for your needs.

OTOH, if you have plenty of time and money, new gear made to fit you is a great choice. I second Ryan's opinion about long delivery dates from Sunpath, and will say not to believe the date you are given when you place the order.

The harness may need to be customized to fit my small frame.

If you're buying a new custom container the harness will be made to fit your measurements. All you have to do is have someone else measure you using the manufacturer's measuring instructions and put that info on the order form.

Shortest delivery times for custom containers right now are around 8 -12 weeks (Vector3, Mirage, Wings, Infinity). Javelin Odyssey delivery time is around 26 weeks (ie order it now, have it in time for Valentines Day... maybe).

Talk to the dealer at your dz. Call a few of the online and mail order dealers (Square One, SkyKat, etc). Most of the online/mail order dealers will sell you a container for 15 - 20% off the base list price (options are additional and are usually not discounted).

i HIGHLY reccomend the skydiving outlet delan www.tso-d.com

Speak to possibly the nicest person in the world, Arlo. She posts here sometimes too.

The prices were amongst the lowest i found (also ordered an odessy), but the customer service is the best i've ever expereinced either in or out of the skydiving world. She really rocks :)
Give them a call.

As to lead times, when i ordered mine it was 18 weeks, then they added some more, then some more. Currently its expected Nov 4th, but i'm not holding my breath. :(
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Sorry to hijack this thread somewhat but I've just had a brand new Odyssey delivered yesterday;). Its very comfortable and looks pretty good, the only problem is that the rig does not have hip rings as I ordered them! DOH! I would just like to know what my options are? With the waiting times that are currently involved with Sunpath if I want to get it replaced will I be looking at the 26 week wait? Add that to the cost of shipping to Australia and I am not happy at the prospect of being out a rig for that amount of time. Especially since I sold my other set of gear. So do I grin and bear it or what?
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

Call/Email Sunpath nd see if they can find your order. If the order says hip rings and they screwed up then they should cover it, if the order form they have does'nt show that... you'll need to talk to your dealer.

If it is thier fault, I'd try to get a commitment date out of them on fixing the issue.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hi there

I have an Odyssey and had to wait for it to be delivered - not the current 26 weeks delay, but it's certainly hard to wait for something when you want it right now !!! But then again it's something that you'll keep using for quite a while so it's important to get the one that you are happy with.

As far as my odyssey goes - it is VERY comfortable and was everything that I wanted plus the customer service was excellent (which may explain some of the long waiting times - they're popular !!!)

I would definately get it custom fitted - otherwise buy a second hand rig - there's no pointing in waiting all that time for a rig that almost fits :S

As for whether or not to go with another manufacturer - that's up to you, there are lots out there that will make you a rig in a shorter time and for less money, so you have to decide if the time and price is more important than waiting for the one you wanted originally :P

As for finding a dealer - as everyone else has said go for someone that is going to offer you a good service as well as a good price. There's nothing worse than finding out AFTER 26 weeks that someone has made a mistake or given you bad advice - and then finding out that the reason the price was low was because the lack of service is such that they can only sell goods by being the cheapest !!! >:(

Also ask around your DZ and find out who uses which rigs and why and also try a few different rigs (if possible) to see which you like the look of as well as what seems to fit comfortably. Perhaps that slightly more expensive dealer might have some sort of demo program which would let you try some different rigs out. It might even be worth a trip to one of these dealers to try some demo's (a pain I know but well worth it when it comes to making a MAJOR PURCHASE like this !!)

Just my $0.02 !!!

James

Hmm, seems like things like that happen more often recently? I remember another thread with a guy complaining about way too long leg straps on his new custom order. OTOH with respect to what their everyday output is, these might be the "tolerances" that have to be accepted in such a busy production line.

Sunpath just hired a lot of people to bring the wait times down, might be that some glitches happened there. But, shouldn't they like counter-check the final rig with the order before shipping?

Whoever screwed up should handle it, and fast.

I don't want to bash them in any way and had ordered an Odyssey too if not for the long wait. Got a Wings instead and am waiting for it to be delivered in the next two weeks. I hope everything is as ordered, although it was one of the more complicated orders, lots of options, custum embroidery and such.
But i had a good dealer (thanks diablopilot!;)) and the communication with him and the manufacturer went incredibly well, so i don't expect any trouble.
Before of that, i had a Javelin which was more comfortable than pretty much all other rig i had jumped, except Mirages and Wings who were pretty much equal.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

But i had a good dealer (thanks diablopilot!) and the communication with him and the manufacturer went incredibly well, so i don't expect any trouble.

You a special case or could I expect the same service? I to am in the market! Give a brotha da hookup ;)

I bought my Odyssey through a local dealer who is also a rigger, John Storrie. This worked out great since I got him to do the measurements, just to make certain that the fit was perfect. I couldn't ask for a better fitting rig. I prefer dealing with people face to face rather then over the internet or mail order. Then you know that they understand what you are wanting and the order is more likely to be correct.

Then you know that they understand what you are wanting and the order is more likely to be correct.

Any "online" dealer that strives to provide excellent customer service will make sure that they understand what you want and that your order comes in as you wanted it.

The big advantages that I see to working with a local dealer rather than an online/mail order dealer on a container order are having them there to do your measurements and being able to look at and touch fabric samples.

The big advantages that I see to working with a local dealer rather than an online/mail order dealer on a container order are having them there to do your measurements and being able to look at and touch fabric samples.
------------------------------------------------------------

You must not have an online order form!;):P
Dom