obadz

Easiest sitfly grip to take?

Just remember that at your level of flying (if your profile is correct) then it is extremely important to fly your slots first and foremost before going for the dock.

Freefly closing speeds are VERY fast and if you're driving hard at each other and dont stop in time things could get ugly quickly. Brief the dive properly on the ground first, make sure that you both understand that you need to be stable and flying relative before going for the dock. Do everything in small movements and have fun!

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

What Peej said, and IMHO, the hand-hand side-by-side dock is more difficult than the hand to foot b/c it requires BOTH jumpers to drop the use of that arm. This is unique b/c may "young" sit-flyers fly a lot with their hands and arms. But on the flip side I believe it a bit safer b/c if the two jumpers keep their heads on level and on corks = no injury. While the hand-to-foot dock could potentially put one jumper under another, a dangerous place.

Be safe. :)

Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

What is most approachable docking configuration for beginners in a two-way sitfly?

Hand to foot and hand to knee have to be the easiest imo. Side by side hand docks can be mildly hard to fly at your level and they sitll are a bit at mine as well. Switch up which hand you take docks with as well you don't want to end as one of those people who can only do docks with there right hand.

side by side hand dock.

I agree with this if you want to take a "grip".

Easiest way is to fly head level, and close, facing each other. (the hard part B|).

Then cue it and both turn 90 degrees so you both face the same direction. Your hands will naturally be right next to each other. Take grip (the easy part :P) and remember to keep flying.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

Hand to foot. People tend to wave their arms around a bit in some kind of balancing act. Try to fly it too, i'm as guilt of combat docking as anyone !arghhh-a-a-GOT-IT!!!!-and...funnel!! T'is fun but flying it teaches you far more.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Try knee docks too, so you place your feet on your buddie's knees, and vice versa.

Just curious--I have been working on these in the tunnel but am not a jumper, so maybe it's different in the sky. This seems like a dangerous dock to start with in the air. Don't you run the risk of getting sucked in by the other person's burble and colliding? I haven't experienced as much of that getting-sucked-in effect with other sit-fly docks that I've tried.
TPM Sister #102

It seems like a really easy first "dock." Think about the major control drag surfaces used by the jumper at that point, thighs and arms. Both are in clean air and not being used for the physical dock. Slow and steady coming in a little above level and all will be good. Hell if it does not work you can always call foot in groin a dock.... :o hmmm a good old C@ck dock.... of course in your situation????.....

I'm speculating to say that in the tunnel it has a little to do with kinking out your calfs for additional drag... Ask Paige, she'll know... I'm just full of sh%t right now anyway. :S

HYPOXIC

If you both compete with each other to be able to fly stable in a head up position, relative with each other and with your hands on your hips. You will then take the fastest track to be able to make whatever grip you want.

The trick is to fly with your legs and torso and leave your arms to play with.

I'm still working on it myself (probably always will be) but I'm still certain that is the best piece of advice given to me on the subject.

Have fun,

Rhyso
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

What is most approachable docking configuration for beginners in a two-way sitfly?

knee-to-face seems pretty common

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Wow Rhys..............Good Point. First Dock to work on is flying relative.

Regarding the other advice, yes the foot to foot and foot to knee is a good beginner dock as well. However the chance of funneling or a knee to the face is higher.

I think everyone is different with regard to what is easy and what is difficult. Some folks just pick up on things at different levels.

The important thing is to establish flying your slot without grips forst. Once you can do that you are ready to try any of these other docks.

My best advice is to learn to fly your slot. If your in the right spot then the docks will just be there.

Also do some solo exercises to learn to fly your legs better. Go out by yourself with a pull up cord and get really really wide, then try to pass the pull up back and forth. This will teach you to fly your legs better, and rely less on your arms.

The straight on docks will come in time as you learn to fly your legs better.
www.okanaganskydive.com