MochaSkyChick

How long did you wait before Freeflying?

It's been interesting reading everyone's replies, i think my situation is most like FREEFLYDREW'S, up until Saturday i had 25 jumps and had just finished Cat II in RW.

It's now Monday, i have 29 jumps and i've done my first 2 way sits and head downs with an experienced free fly friend of mine. I had the sit nice and stable by the fourth jump and she obviously did most of the work on the head down which we could only hold for a few seconds. [:/]

But the others are right, jumping with a coach/experienced free flier is the way!

If you want something bad enough, go get it :ph34r:

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I started on my sit at 17 jumps. If you ask me, this was a mistake though. It's really important to get experience on your belly first because these are your basic body flight skills for survival. You need to be able to fly your body extremely well and stable if you cork. From what I read, you have like a 140 jumps or something? This would actually be a good time to start for you, cuz you have those skills down. I personally could sit well at 50 jumps, but couldn't fly for $#^%& on my belly, so I made up for it with tunnel time, but to the newbies out there, take it from a guy who tried to move too fast. Learn to fly your belly very well first, THEN move on to other body positions. Good luck MochaSkyChick!! Ya need anything, drop me a line!!

http://www.skydivewrongway.com

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

As soon as my AFF levels were over, I went right into doing tracking dives and back flying; which is probably the biggest skill to learn before attepting to sit and so on. As soon as I was done with my 20 jumps so I could be off of the unfreefly friendly student gear, I went right into working on my sit, I go a few coaching jumps then practiced on my own till I could sit stable, then got more coaching to see if I was back sliding or whatever. Last weekend got my first dock in a sit. This weekend worked on my standing and head. I think the key to learning is great coaching. I even get coaching on my canopy skills and I have downsized a lot since I started and am about to shrink once more to fly my own gear. Thanks to Dusty, Ash, Steffen, Kiebie, Brad, Coop, and Jeffro in the early stages, I can sit, track, stand, go to head, and land my 150 Saber 2 safely on target. I only have 63 jumps and after Sept. 1st I will be flying my Saber 135, but not without more coaching from Dusty....I totally belive in coach jumps. I do fly on my belly after 5000 because I don't want to take the chance of a shitty head down openings that someone I know loves to do, but then again he only can fly head down and BASE jump...Ok so I talk alot, still pumped from my jumps yesterday...didn't get enough, never do...lol...
C-YA
Kathryn

And who said that men were the only risk takers in this sport? ;) You're definitely progressing fast. But as long as you seek help (which you seem to have done), and know your current limits, then there's no reason to believe that you can't suceed. But be careful out there. All it takes is one bad judgement call (by any one of us in this sport). :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

So true, and forgot to add staying current too...I do jump everyweekend now that the expenses have gone down from student prices, well I should say I spend the same ammount as I did before, but get more jumps in now which equals to being able to go out more too... i.e. tandams $160 one jump, Jump tickets now $15 so lots more jumps more often...lol. I proably spend more now...gear is finally paid for, just need to pay my rigger and all expenses will be gone except jump tickets....Sugar daddy? PLEASE!!!! LMAO... Actually Powerball would be better...no ties there just money....lol
C-YA
Kathryn

I'm so glad I found this thread..it was exactly what I was wondering as well.

I am going to be doing more solo jumps while I'm sharing a rig, so I thought it might be a good time to play with learning some freeflying. I've tried doing sits a few times, accomplished it probably once is all so far. Is that the best way to get started? Practicing a sit on your own? I have a freefly suit, although I think I'll have to tape the legs a little tighter at first...it's hugely baggy around the ankles and I'm wondering if that's helping to cause the flipping head over heals (I know part of that is my own lack of skills as well).

Pammi

I tried my first sit on my 31st jump. I held it for a few seconds. After a few jumps it was pretty stable and I could turn. It helped a LOT to have an experienced freeflyer watching me on the jumps so he could give me really helpful advise to try on the next one.

As soon as my AFF levels were over, I went right into doing tracking dives and back flying; which is probably the biggest skill to learn before attepting to sit and so on. As soon as I was done with my 20 jumps so I could be off of the unfreefly friendly student gear, I went right into working on my sit, I go a few coaching jumps then practiced on my own till I could sit stable, then got more coaching to see if I was back sliding or whatever. Last weekend got my first dock in a sit. This weekend worked on my standing and head. I think the key to learning is great coaching. I even get coaching on my canopy skills and I have downsized a lot since I started and am about to shrink once more to fly my own gear. Thanks to Dusty, Ash, Steffen, Kiebie, Brad, Coop, and Jeffro in the early stages, I can sit, track, stand, go to head, and land my 150 Saber 2 safely on target. I only have 63 jumps and after Sept. 1st I will be flying my Saber 135, but not without more coaching from Dusty....I totally belive in coach jumps. I do fly on my belly after 5000 because I don't want to take the chance of a shitty head down openings that someone I know loves to do, but then again he only can fly head down and BASE jump...Ok so I talk alot, still pumped from my jumps yesterday...didn't get enough, never do...lol...
C-YA
Kathryn

Hi - landing your canopy on target is not the only factor to be taken into account when downsizing (although i'm sure you are aware of that)

After 60+ jumps, what are your coaches evaluating you on to tell you you are ready to downsize 2 or 3 canopy sizes since coming off student status, i'm just curious to know? Coaching jumps on a canopy control seminar cannot replace going up and experiencing adverse conditions (turbulence, dust devils (prevalent at Eloy as you know), someone heading towards you at 100ft from the ground etc) that going up and just being under canopy can, and experiencing that stuff first hand.

The smaller you get, and the quicker you get there, the harder it is to safely get yourself out of a hole when you experience these adverse situations and have to react quickly. I'm sure you have learnt a lot of invaluable information from your coaching jumps/control seminars but just make sure you are happy in your mind that you are downsizing because you have experience to do so, rather than someone saying you can because you can just handle the extra speed/penetration of the higher wingloaded canopy and still land on target. I don't know what your wingloading is, and again it's a personal decision, i'm just reiterating what a lot of experienced guys on here have told me (which is why i don't plan to downsize anytime soon)

Please don't take this as personal criticism - it's not -and im far from experienced, it's just out of concern for you and the thought you might be getting yourself into a tight spot.

As my canopy coach said, you need to be able to crawl, before you walk before you run before you sprint.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

yes mate, it is true - in the uk there are much more strict rules re free flying. You do have to have at least cat10 b4 free flying and then it may only be with someone with ff1 so they can coach you.

In the us you can pretty much do what you want.

Virtually everyone reccomends getting your flat up to standard b4 freeflying anyway though so go ahead and get doing RW.

you actually only need to be Cat 9. You can then do solo FF jumps within reason (i think if the CCI spots you attempting to do some headdown by yourself you'll probably get a talking to at the very least).

If you want to jump with other FF'ers they need to be FF1.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Even though i'm a FF girl, i can still turn points on my belly if i get conned into doing a belly jump.

But that's just cuz she's Sunshine!! B| Dude, get coaching from her, she'll put you in any orientation, in the air or on the ground!! ;)

Ooops, did I just say that???? :S

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I know that downsizing is something to do slowly. However, I must say that you also have to stop and consider wing loading. I load my 135 at 1.19. Actually I am glad to report that I have 15 jumps on my 135 now and I LOVE it! It is so nice. I am fully flying my canopy and trying all aspects up high. I am still practicing front riser turns and approches up high and am not yet going to be doing them any time soon on landing. I am actually useing my 135 at a smaller DZ because Eloy is a bit crowded. However, I am planing on going back soon. Now that I am very comfertable with my canopy. It is so nice to use your own gear and have something you know you will keep for a while. I am glad I looked into buying something with some wingloading, rather than buying big like most after student status. If I was a big 200lb guy, then yeah I propbably would have bought bigger, duh...

Just about 700 jumps before I tried freeflying a couple weeks ago... mostly as comic relief from 4-way training. Shhh! Don't tell my teammates! I'm supposed to be visualizing the dive pool!

I suck, but I like freeflying. A lot. And as much as I love and adore my vicious Michigan comp booties, Mike said he'd make me an equivalently sick freefly suit, so now I've got fashion choices!

About 80 jumps, until i got a confirmed good track and belly control. (Yes, somewhat beyond AFF level 7)...
Then spent like 30 jumps on sitting on a boogie, after which it worked really well.
If you think you can "hold" a sit for a given time, forget it. You can't hold it, just stay in it, working. It's not a "stable", just a controlled position.
You can keep it under control for the whole dive though.;)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I tried sit on my 2nd jump after AFF and carried on trying till I got it down. On 56 jumps now and can hold head down steady and sit and stand are getting much better. Have done a few flat jumps since and had no real problems at all but its not the same as freefly, freefly all the way.

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

Yeah a buddy at my former dz was just like this. The trouble was he couldn't track shit (by which i donot mean you can't). One time i told him i wanted to check his track out, so i'd stay put on separation and he'd track away.
He did like two meters, went "back to box" and deployed... Made a nice video, but wasn't my favorite separation. As i've seen this a few times with other jumpers too, i recommend getting somewhat proficient in flat flying (no, i'm not into flatflying either, but still). Didn't mean that you have to wait like 80 jumps like me (there just were two(!) Freeflyers around my DZ by that time, so i didn't get "a good start").:P

After all, flat is our "base plane" we all return to prior to deployment, and you don't want to have shit happen there once there's a few people around.

Another buddy of mine went straight to headdown after about jump 15 and was able to stay in it until deployment. Yet, he couldn't do a controlled sit or _any_ kind of transition. He thought he was a kickass freeflier after that, and he also got a BT Pro 120 a few jumps later. I don't know what became of him, as he moved to a different place just after that boogie, but the last thing i heard from a common friend was he broke his legs like two weeks later and was out of the sport for a year.B|

Apart from that, a general remark, i have seen many people starting to freefly and not paying much atention to breakoff and separation procedure. That's something quite dangerous and we all should brief it on n-ways separately for safety reasons.
Just a reminder!;)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I had about 80 jumps when I started freeflying, but I did complete the appropriate levels in Formation skydiving before I began.

Altitude loss through increased speed and instability are the main issues you have to contend with when starting freefly.