BMFin

5D mark II released !!

Spot,
I red the manul (Scotty's) of the new 5D MkII about the video stuff.
According with that it uses 4GB for 12 minutes .MOV video.
It almost twice as much as HDV (which is 2GB for 10min right?). So in my eyes it should be a very good camera for production as long as you don't need sound (like most of the skydiving stuff).
Also the stuff I saw online is amazing.
The manual mentioned a bunch of AF restrictions and "dramatic" exposure adjustment issues.
The 5D MkII basically changes the ISO to achive AE.
But the good thin again you can use all the other settings like shutter speed and aperture (35mm format DOF of course...) ...now I just need to see some footage from Scotty Burns (he used it for only stills so far).
Anyway, can you please weight in the 4GB for 12 min MOV? That's pretty good right? (also it's combined with 14bit A/D converter and 42bit sRGB color depth)
What do you think?
-Laszlo-

I'm enroute to Sebastian; gimme a couple days and I'll send some footage. The problem isn't the compression; it's how the shutter works. There is a lot of discusion on this on the Sony forums.
We're updating our UpShift product to work with these files.

Nothing "supposed" about it, and Canon has already announced they'll release a firmware update.
Additionally, there is already a Photoshop plug to fix it.

Lots of chatter about the subject on the Sony software and camera sites.

Nothing "supposed" about it,

I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I am saying what was stated in the link is pretty spot on. Unless of course you typically take pictures and blow up the original 100-500 % to get the shot. Like the author stated, its nitpicking about something that will have no effect on 99.9% of the people who use the camera. However, if thats all they can bitch about and they already have a fix for it, its a moot point.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-10126868-39.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20" has a little less "fanboy" take on the camera.
If you're spending that much money on a cam, and using for fine-print magazines, billboards, or other large or heavily-scrutinzed media, one would think you'd want it to be right. Otherwise, why not use a Rebel for shooting billboards? Part of the significantly higher expense is the significantly higher image.
It's a great cam. I've shot a lot of pix with it. Very pleased with what it can do, but it's got problems in high latitude shots, of which every skydiving image will be.
I think the Nikon fanboys are making too much of this issue and Ken Rockwell is making too little of the issue. It's an issue. Not a show-stopper, but it's an issue. Drop the price of the body by 50%, it's less of an issue for most folks.

billboards, or other large or heavily-scrutinzed media, one would think you'd want it to be right.

Like I said, it won't effect 99.9% of the people who use the camera...unless you're a billboard photographer who shoots images at night and magnify your shots 500% .:P
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Now how many people driving down the highway at 70 mph are going to see the billboard and bitch about the image problem ???
To funny! :)
And if they dropped the price in half i'd already have one .But it's my off season now.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

What kills me is that this type of thing always happens when a new camera/computer/car/etc comes out and bleeding edge gotta have it people line up for it in advance. The 1DsMkIII had issues when it first came out and the camera forums were a flame with the issue and people saying the "sky is falling".

I am not saying that there wasn't an issue with the 1DsMkIII or the 5DMk2. However, even on the photog forums, the number of people who make their living as photographers who had issues was hit and miss and IMO this was an issue bigger than a black dot. In the end, the issue was resolved which is what I am confident will happen with the black dot issue be it firmware upgrades or in PS. What may be an issue for a pro photographer who works on the razors edge of the cameras he shoots may not even present itself as an issue to the average user.

I think once people hear about and issue, they become hyper critical of shots and end up examining their photos at magnification levels that are unrealistic in some instances or create unrealistic scenarios to reproduce the problem. It almost becomes a self fulfilling prophecy with a frenzy of people posting and reposting what they heard from their sisters brothers cousin who's sushi chef has a cousin who works at the factory. If the shot looks good when you look at it with the naked eye and you can blow it up to 8 x 10 or even poster size without seeing degradation then I think its safe to say that the average user isn't going to have issues with their photos, especially if its for use in skydiving. But thats just me.:)

SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Can anyone post a review of this yet?

I know DSE had some things to say about it and I hope he could elaborate here. Rolling Shutter issues?

I am mostly interested in the video mode because I have a 5D and the photos are phenomenal.

How bad is the panning, if you were shooting, say, a wingsuit flyby of the Bispen Road in Norway?

How bad is the shake if you were flying it with the 15mm?

thanks for any help in expensive decisions

It's not really rolling shutter like you see with fast framerates on a CMOS video camera. It's an offset shutter artifact. That said...Canon has said they'll have a firmware update "very soon" and they're showing some stunning video at CES from this camera shot by Jon Fordham.

As far as panning...it's gonna be the same as any camera; fast shutter in high light with open aperture will give you a nice background blur.
Originally, I was unimpressed with the video side of this camera, albeit very impressed with the photo side (it blows the 5D away).
Now...seeing this vid at CES...I've sent Jon an email asking how much of it is post and how much is the camera. It *appears* to have motion smoothing applied, but it might just be the way the image stabilizer worked.
For short vids of skydives...I might just change my opinion. One thing...this camera will NOT function well in high heat. Keep the camera out of the sun for any length of time.

If you've never shot a full-frame sensor:
15mm is very wide on fullframe. 24mm fullframe is the same as what you'd see on an APSC cam such as a 50D or XTi with a 15mm. (I know you have a 5D, Brendan, but others reading this might not be aware of the sensor diff).

-But...Canon has some sweet things up their sleeve. Wait'll CES 09'

Were you talking about these? (Vixia HF S10 and Vixia HF S100)

Or are we expecting an affordable still with 1080p video function, like Rebel or xxD. 5dMkii is still pretty expensive...
Thanks.

Yes.
But it's "involved."
without writing everything...the problem isn't mechanical, it's in the encode/decode. David Newman at Cineform has worked it out, and it works. It's just SLOW.
So...
Link to David's blog

You'll need AVCCore as well.

Good news is, it looks great if managed properly.
Canon should have figured this out for us.
It still isn't a video camera, but it's very fine.