BMFin

5D mark II released !!

I am all excited about this!!!

Movie recording:

• Available optionally during Live view mode
• 1920 x 1080 (16:9) up to 12 mins (Quicktime 1080p H.264; 38.6 Mbits/sec)
• 640 x 480 (4:3) up to 24 mins (Quicktime 480p H.264; 17.3 Mbits/sec)
• Max file size 4 GB
• Quicktime MOV format (H.264 video, PCM sound)
• 30 fps

Carlos Martins
Portugal www.cj.smugmug.com

I am all excited about this!!!

Movie recording:

• Available optionally during Live view mode
• 1920 x 1080 (16:9) up to 12 mins (Quicktime 1080p H.264; 38.6 Mbits/sec)
• 640 x 480 (4:3) up to 24 mins (Quicktime 480p H.264; 17.3 Mbits/sec)
• Max file size 4 GB
• Quicktime MOV format (H.264 video, PCM sound)
• 30 fps

Yeah.. You cant record movie while taking stills though. It is possible to take stills while recording video, but the camera will pause the video rec for the time it takes to shoot the stills.

Also the camera keeps focusing while recording video. Focusing will be based on contrast.

It could be that the video feature on this one isnt a complete joke afterall. Sure it takes QT format, but you can actually produce quite professional looking footage with the variety of lenses and the possibility for controlling the Depth of field !!

Theres not much difference with the 1DsMIII which is significantly more expensive.

We shall see how the AF works in the 5D, since I have heard theres some problems with the 1DsM3 AF..

It is possible to take stills while recording video, but the camera will pause the video rec for the time it takes to shoot the stills.

How long could that be? If it just steals a few frames from the 30 fps everytime you press the shutter, that coud be OK.

Anyway, I wonder what a 2MP screengrab from a SLR would look - this is all quite new and very exciting! I can't download the 200 MB sample files available on dpreview, but i'd sure like to see a few framegrabs!

Also the camera keeps focusing while recording video. Focusing will be based on contrast.

Not many people using autofocus while jumping (either video or stills) wright?

Sure it takes QT format...

What are the pros/cons of QuickTime MOV vs AVCHD of Sony's HD camcorders?

Carlos Martins
Portugal www.cj.smugmug.com

Not many people using autofocus while jumping (either video or stills) wright?

I dont know any percentages of skydiving photographers in general, but I do use AF (ai servo) I also know that quite a few photographers on this forum have reported to use AF also.

What are the pros/cons of QuickTime MOV vs AVCHD of Sony's HD camcorders?

Im definetly not an expert on this subject, but in a nutshell I would say the more compressed the data is the more you loose in quality in general..

A quicktime .mov is merely a container. It can contain uncompressed to highly compressed data.
AVCHD is a format that *currently* cannot go higher than 18Mbps, although the spec allows for lesser compression ratios.
When making comparisons of codecs and compression technologies, it's critical to know two factors;
Codec
bitrate

AVCHD is twice as efficient as MPEG2, but until you get into high bitrates, it doesn't look as good as lowbitrate MPEG2.
AVCHD is seriously more efficient than DVCProHD, even at low bitrates, but it lacks the chroma sample depth that DVCProHD offers.

In other words, there are many variables when discussing codecs.

Big, heavy, expensive.... PERFECT!

It's probably the most suitable full frame SLR though...

Dave

On that point I do agree. I jump a 5d w/20mm fixed and it is a heavy SOB.

That being said, the Peripheral Illumination Correction would be a great feature on the full frame...

See if I can get Canon to let me take on for a rip!!

Well it is a bit heavier if you compare it to a plastic 400D or similar.

400D : 556g or 19.6oz

5DMII : 850g or 30oz

Its not that much anyway. 300 grams.

IMO The amount of picture quality easily outweighs the extra weight even if comparing the old 5D and 400D. Dont you think so ?

What camera would you rather choose ?

If your interested on the video feature go check this out:

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/09/20/something-very-interesting-is-comingboth-to-this-blog-and-to-our-industry/

"However what is entirely exciting is that the 5D holds the “holy grail” of all independent video producers, which is film-like depth of field and organic, film-like imagery. No longer would you need to buy or rent expensive 35mm lens adapters for the hand-held HD cams or, use painfully expensive HD-cinema glass. "

The frame grabs look simply stunning !!! :o

Meh, I still think a photocamera is for taking photos and a videocamera is for taking video. The Nikon D90 can shoot video too, big deal, nice gadget and imo mainly a selling point for the point-and-shoot crowd that upgrade to a dslr, but I'll stick to my hc5 for now ;)

The 5D is a great camera and I'm sure this one is even better but I wouldn't buy one or upgrade from a 5d (if I had one) just for that video feature.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Meh, I still think a photocamera is for taking photos and a videocamera is for taking video.

umm.. yes.. but with the 5DM2 you can do them both.. how cool is that ? B|

The Nikon D90 can shoot video too, big deal, nice gadget and imo mainly a selling point for the point-and-shoot crowd that upgrade to a dslr, but I'll stick to my hc5 for now ;)

For the D90 you are right.. It seems the video feature in that camera is more less a BIG joke.

See for your self:
http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr134/jamesmel9/?action=view&current=DSC_0012.flv

It has some serious shuter lag.. Not that it ever looked good on paper either being interlaced and the list goes on...

The 5D is a great camera and I'm sure this one is even better but I wouldn't buy one or upgrade from a 5d (if I had one) just for that video feature.

Well would you buy it if you found out it performs in the same category with the 1Ds MIII and costs only 1/3 of the price.

Hell, If the things that have been said about the video feature of the 5DM2 are true, I bet a lot of people will buy the camera ONLY because of the video feature..

This camera will sell for approx. $2,700 - and perform better than many $100K plus video cameras out there… -Quote from Vincent Laforet´s blog-

EDIT: it seems they are also making a video-firmware for other live view cameras like 40D. Im not sure if this is a hoax but here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlKywUVFJW4

Big, heavy, expensive.... PERFECT!

It's probably the most suitable full frame SLR though...

Dave

The nikon D700 is great too, wish I could afford one [:/]

I've been thinking about it while my D200 is in for repair. It'll happen sooner or later but, I've been very happy with the 200 so far so it's kind of hard to justify. The great high ISO performance would be fun to have while shooting m/c racing though

Action©Sports

performs in the same category with the 1Ds MIII and costs only 1/3 of the price.

Not hardly. 5d MII wins out in ISO range and burst size, that's all.

5d MII: 15 AF points (9 (1 cross-type) +6 assist)
1ds MIII: 45 AF points (19 cross-type +26 assist)

5d MII: 35-zone AF
1ds MIII: 63-zone AF (including AF-point linked and multi-point linked spot metering)

5d MII: +/- 2 stop exposure adjustment
1ds MIII: +/- 3 stop

5d MIII: 3.9 shots/second
1ds MIII: 5 shots/second

5d MII: 78 shot max burst (JPG Large/fine)
1ds MIII: 58 shot max burst (JPG Large/fine)

5d MII: ISO 100-6400
1ds MIII: ISO 100-1600
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

It is true that the Mark III perhaps has a better autoforus. (which by the way have been reported to have problems with it)

On some other areas 5DMII wins.

Thats why I didnt say its better. Thats why I only said it performs in the same category.

Some of the reviews I have read about the 5DMII have stated that it is the BEST canon so far in terms of picture quality.

It largely depends on the users needs, what he/she values most among the specs. From a skydivers perspective 5DM2 is definetly MUCH better than 1DsMIII.

From a skydivers perspective 5DM2 is definetly MUCH better than 1DsMIII.

Why? Besides the obvious weight/size, what specs of the 5d make it "MUCH better"?

Honestly, outside of the wanna-be-a-webcam stuff, I can't see where the 5d beats out the 30d, performance-wise.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

From a skydivers perspective 5DM2 is definetly MUCH better than 1DsMIII.

Why? Besides the obvious weight/size, what specs of the 5d make it "MUCH better"?

Honestly, outside of the wanna-be-a-webcam stuff, I can't see where the 5d beats out the 30d, performance-wise.

People put way too much stock in the camera - if you can't take a good picture with a 5D, a 5DM2 ain't gonna help much :D

Action©Sports

ISO performance and weight. Those are the two major factors that make 5DMII much better.

Can you think of anything that makes 1DsMIII better in skydiving enviroment ?

Are you kidding ? Even the old 5D beats the crap out of the 30D.

It seems obvious you dont know what you are talking about, if you are calling the video feature: "wanna-be-a-webcam stuff"

Did you even read that blog ? Have you seen the quality of the video ?

I have noticed a lot of photographers simply cant stand the fact that the 5DMII has the video feature. They are just saying videocamera is a videocamera and stillcamera is a stillcamera perioid. No arguments behind these statements.. Well if you dont want to use it.. then dont. If yo want to point out flaws in the video feature, feel free to do so. But please state reasons for your statements.