livenletfly

R.S.L'S do you use one?

I view an RSL just as Wendy Put it. Stupid Insurance, just like my Cypress. I am human, and I screw up things a lot more than i would like. I have no Camera, NO board, and for anything else i Disconnect the puppy, but otherwise i wouldn't jump w.o one.
=========Shaun ==========

I have a very high respect for anything Bill Booth has to say, didn't know this was a quote from de man hisself.

Sorry to hear that a guy whith a name can change your oppinion just like that[:/]:SI have nothing bad on Bill B. what so ever but dont follow his voice just becours of his name do it becours of his knowlegede,im sure he will apriciate that much more;)

I dont like the silince killer line aswell,i think RSL has safed lots of lifes in the past,just rember to use the rigth gear in the rigth time,if not.. well then you´r probaly screwed before you know it.

By the way i dont use RSL,didnt do since studentstatus.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

The only reason that I don't have one is that I was advised by the person from whom I bought my rig that it would make my container ugly.

I wish that I had thought for myself and not trusted that person. I wish I had one. I might decide not to jump it all the time, but I would like to have the option. I feel the benefits far outweigh the risks (unless you are talking CRW or camera, etc.)

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

Don't have one, don't plan on it. My left hand works just fine. I did put some thought into getting one when I got my rig, but ultimately I decided against it.

Side note: How the hell would an RSL work on a Racer? One on each riser????

Don't have one, don't plan on it. My left hand works just fine. I did put some thought into getting one when I
got my rig, but ultimately I decided against it.

I had a friend of mine...900 jumps and a GREAT flyer.

He bounced with a perfectly good reserve sitting in his rig.
He never managed to get his reserve out after his main was cut away.

He said he did not need one either...His left hand worked just fine.

This is why I tell people to use one till they have had their first cut away....You never know till you ahve had one, and pulled both handles.

Think about it.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Don't have one, don't plan on it. My left hand works just fine. I did put some thought into getting one when I got my rig, but ultimately I decided against it.

Side note: How the hell would an RSL work on a Racer? One on each riser????

I've been wondering exactly the same thing... but I got one not attached with my used rig so I'll probably get it hooked up next repack. I'm confident I could do what I have to without one but I feel the pro's outway the Con's.

I wish that I had thought for myself and not trusted that person. I wish I had one. I might decide not to jump it all the time, but I would like to have the option.

You can always have one added...they're not expensive.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

In an ideal world, you'd probably want to unhook it before cutting away from a canopy collision to be sure you got clear and away from the mess before opening your reserve. Of course, canopy collisions usually happen low, so it could be a double edged sword...not to mention you're not going to have much time.

Basically, the only time you'd want it off is when you needed time/distance/assured clearance from your current position...and there aren't that many of those, outside of CReW and Camera.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Have one, use it, and haven't heard any reason why I should not use it as a young skydiver. What are the situations that would require me to unhook it prior to cutaway (if there was time)?

If you have time, unhook it if you have 2 out and you need to cutaway (because of a downplane). Side note, I didn't, cutaway went just fine anyway, but I didn't know to unhook my RSL back then.

Before you jump, disconnect it if you're going to jump a camera (still not really sure about that one myself but seems the consensus), if you're going to do (intentional :P) CReW, or if you'll be jumping a board. Or if you're going to jump a HP napkin :P.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The only time I have heard of a downplane from a double out was with a racer, and the double RSL's.

Most other sport rigs there is no chance of an RSL causing a downplane.

At least none I can think of.
Anyone care to share one?

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

One more reason that is important for the ego, wallet, and your ability to jump again quickly:

Disconnect it anytime you are jumping in high winds and might need to chop to not be dragged across the ground. It is embarrasing enough to need to chop without having it pop your spare.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The only time I have heard of a downplane from a double out was with a racer, and the double RSL's.

At least none I can think of.
Anyone care to share one?

Ron

Nah don't mean it CAUSES a downplane. Only I happened to have a downplane, so I had to cut away. The RSL is a potential snag point/hangup point for the main to stay stuck on, which you don't want. Anyway I didn't disconnect it, and the main flew away just fine.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The
RSL is a potential snag point/hangup point for the main to stay stuck on, which you don't want.

This is what I don't get.

An RSL I thought has very little chance of snagging.

Anyone?

2 ramair canopies out means chance for downplane,the RSL has nothing to do whith a downplane at all.
You will have no problem cutting a main were theres a RSL atached as you have the reserve out aswell(ie. the RSL wont make it worse).
You could get a downplane after a ADD fire at the same time you pulled your main.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I just ordered a SkyHook RSL for my Micron. I wouldn't use a regular RSL, for all the reasons you hear from other jumpers. But the SkyHook negates those reasons, and it still can be disconnected on a jump by jump basis.

I'm no the type to get disoriented or lose track of altitude in a malfunction, and in my 520 jumps, I've only had linetwists maybe 20 times, but if a SkyHook will give me a greater chance of living through an ugly situation, I want it.

I had one on my first rig, But do not have one on either of the 2 rigs I own now, I have had 4 cutaways and have lived through them all without one so why change now, But I will admit that the last cutaway that I had got pretty scary, I had a hard time getting my cut away handle to release, It took me 3 tries, I finaly got it out at about 1200 feet. and believe me it was not long after that that my reserve was flying. But it did make me think. I had bought a new rig and the pillow was thinner than the one on my Mirage, It was harder to grip, Since then I have replaced that pillow with a thicker one.
Still here after all these years

Clayton

Had one on my first and second rigs but don't have one on current rig. I don't have anything against them but if you jump a HP canopy you could end up in a spin on your back which would not be a good position to have your reserve fired.
Philip Guy D-21881

"HOW LOW CAN YOU GO?"

A friend of mine would still be alive if he had one. :(

Would you mind telling us what happened? I am trying to learn on the subject, and have been considering starting video when I get 40 or so more jumps.

Some people just don't like them, but being conservative, I think I will need one for a long while

Sorry to hear about your loss, and although it is sad, please be kind and share the experience.

Take care and blue skies !
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Every few weeks or so it seems there is a need to either bitch about the AAD or the RSL. It's kind of the shit it's happening in the middle east. It has been there since I can remember and it will be there long after I will be gone.

You have one good, you don't good too. There is tons of stuff writter on RSL from experts with stats backing it up.
Memento Audere Semper