PhreeZone

Tandem photos to the TM?

Does anyone give copies of their tandem photos (assuming digital not prints) to the TM if they ask? If so do you charge and if so what price? How about video? If the TM asks for a dub of a jump what do you do for that?

I'm kind of split on the decision, the student has already paid for the photo/video so that my services and talent are paid for. Outside of the Tandem student and their instructor the photo really does not have much value so the odds of trying to get it printed or sell it outside the sport is a long shot.

What is everyone elses thoughts?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've had video guys give me copies of particularly good stills and I've done the same. I also don't mind firewiring them the video or making them a copy of the DVD or stills CD if they ask. If every TM wanted a copy of every jump, my attitude would probably change.

We are a club DZ. In my experience, things like this are more relaxed at clubs.

I dunno man, you've already been paid once for the photo, I guess I can see it both ways. I kinda think in this circumstance it wouldn't hurt to show a little professional courtesy and toss the TM the pic. However, if he wants the print, he should at least offer to buy you a beer or something for printing it out. Ink isn't cheap. Now if the same TM was asking for a picture every time you turned around, that in my opinion is taking advantage of you and thats not cool.

I do if they ask. Those guys are my bros and it don't cost nothing. After awhile they all start to look the same but every once in awhile you get that glory shot and they want a copy.

The only tandem shot I have ever had published was one I gave to the TM. He submitted it and I got a check in the mail quite unexpectedly.

strange question
as a packer i never packed for free so why should i work for free... BUT as a photographer i never charge for coworkers but if itºs a really good one (maybe can be published in magazines) i give them only a print or a low resolution copy.

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

I've been giving them away to all the TM's that ask up to this point but I recently heard of someone that was charging the TM some money and I wanted to see if I was being taken advantage of or not. My thought was I've been paid already so its only costing me a CD to do it but at the same time if everyone else was charging I did not want to lessen the value of my work by giving it away for free.

Nice pic this month Lew!
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I make a CD for the TM's I make most jumps with at the end of the year as kind of a surprise and a thanx for the good times.

I make money off tandems and AFF students, I don't make money off other skydivers. If I already have the pics they can have them, and if they want me to jump with them for Pics then having my slot payed will do (Unless they have cunning plans that I really like, in that case I don't mind paying for my own slot)

Especially TM's that you jump with regularly work with you to get better video's. I've got these kind of routines with 3 TM's, just developped by jumping with them regularly. In a way they ensure the quality of my work. So why should they pay me?

Like someone said before, how much money were you going to make with those pics anyway? Now you've got the chance to make someone happy before formatting your CF-card.

Smiles and good karma are priceless...
"Don't make me come down there" - God.

My site:http://www.skystudio.nl/video.html
Some of my vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/TomSkyStudio

I still charge for them ,but its at my discretion on pricing according to how much i work directly with them etc etc etc..
Pricing as far as a file go's i usually don't sell them the file ,it's mostly prints i do for them and i knock the price down to 10 or 15 bucks for that. But don't ever sell yourself short . Your worth a lot! I would pay my camera man if he has an awesome shot of me without hesitation .
I get pretty excited if someone has a shot of me don't you? Remember your equipment isn't free, and neither are your services and knowledge that took years to learn.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

You must have some of those free cameras? :)

My cameras are paid for. I make enough money off the whuffos, I don't need to screw my buddies over a few bucks. And, like I said They rarely ask.

But then I mostly do camera at a small club. I am not trying to make a living at this.

I've never had a problem giving away a few shots to the TM's if they ask. That kind of stuff works both ways - I give them a few free pictures (sometimes I'll even film a jump for free if it's one of their friends) every now and then and they hook me up when I have a buddy who wants to do a tandem.

Action©Sports

Why would you want to make money from your co-workers/friends. As a packer, I would totally chuck a free pack job to some one here and there for whatever reason...As a video guy, I totally give videos and photos to my co-workers/friends. What comes around goes around....remember that KARMA thing. We are all making money off of the general public so I don't see the need to take money from my friends/co-workers for something that really only costs me my time. Of course if they want to give me a beer or a sandwich or a couple of bucks for ink, or whatever, then I'm not gonna say no. But I don't expect it and I certainly wouldn't ask one of my friends/co-workers for money for a nice still or a cool video....especially if that person is in the photo/video. call it professional courtesy.

..........of course there are all the exceptions to all the rules, but I think you get the point.

And just 'cause everyone else is charging people doesn't mean that you have to.

I usually don't charge the instructor for a copy of a good jump or a copy of the stills. I just rack it up in my "karma" bin knowing that someday the favor will be returned. If they offer a couple bucks for the materials I accept. I found that they usually want a copy of the unusual jumps (like their first paraplegic student), family members, etc. We're friends and I know it won't fall into the wrong hands, and they won't do anything with it without my permission.
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

Nah, I give em up.

The primary TM and I have been jumping together for three years. I really dig jumping with him.

He asked once for some pictures for his website and I gave em up. I also have been giving him some of the better shots once I get a handfull of them. Usually at the end of the month I throw a disc at him.

He knows he can use them for things like
His website/business cards. but billboards and banners (if he is sell the banner) is a whole new consideration.

I recently had the people at the tunnel think that I was unreasonable for not allowing them to use a picture I took on a billboard. They didnt want to pay me (a fraction of the going rate) to use the picture.

I consider that relationship dead after a conversation with one of the managers there.
My photos

My Videos

I'll hand them a digital copy of the pic on a CD at no charge, we're buddy's and like some of the other guys have said, favours come and go. I've had my TI do me a discount tandem before when i was low on cash and wanted to take a potential girlfriend on a tandem so if there's a way i can return the favour, sure. :D:$

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

It's hard to answer...
Yes I would give the high res files to my buddies because they're my buddies.
But one they I saw my photo used for an advertisement which was given to my buddy for personal use. Also he din't give the file away purposely, he just didn't understand the copy right and business side of photography.
When I knoked on the door of the company which used my photo to sell their product not even giving me a credit the owner of the company was pretty rude with me. His answer was (I'm not joking here) "it so easy to press the button on the camera and take a picture, so it really doesn't worth anything". Well I explained to him this "worthless" image which is my product somehow sells his product. We ended up settleing the problem, but I try to avoid these "inconvenient meetings" with others. Similar cases happend more than ones with me. So now I give to my buddies prints for free rather than files. Or if they want to e-mail it somwhere I give them a small water marked file. (a quiet few of my small but non watermarked photos of mine were used on web sites for ADVERTISMENT!!!).
By the way... I see so many photos here at the forum for example at the thread "pictures while you working". How many of those are crediting the photographer who took them??? I guess we should credit our buddys when they taking picturs of us while we're taking pictures of others.
-Laszlo-

I work at a small Cessna dropzone. The TM's I fly with are my buddies. Hell, I taught two of them how to skydive. If they want the photos.. I give them to them. They would do the same for me. On several occassions they dropped their instructor fee's to do tandems of my friends for me. Whatever they want, I give it. We're family. Jim P., Jim M., Justice, Brad, Terry and Bryan... I love you guys!

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

You must have some of those free cameras? :)

A good TM can make your day a whole lot easier, and a whole lot more fun as well, while a bad one... well you get the picture. I keep a folder of "money shots" and I pull from all the photos I take each weekend to fill it. If I get a particularly good one of the TM and/or they ask for it, I'll give it to them. You never know when you're gonna need a lil somethin from them!

cp

i never asked money for that, they are my buddies, most of them were my instructors some times ago, i owe them most of my best jumps, i guess the least i can do is giving them some shots or vids if they want them. exactly the same way that i pay my slot to go on a friend's 500th or 200th jump and after it i will take care of the video(s) editing etc... for free. Friendship don't go with money ... this is this kind of attitude that pays back with some candies like the fact that one of those TM took my wife with him this summer allowing me to fly with her and to kiss her at 9000' ... he never asked for nothing and did it in the name of friendship :)

--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

Does anyone give copies of their tandem photos (assuming digital not prints) to the TM if they ask? If so do you charge and if so what price? How about video? If the TM asks for a dub of a jump what do you do for that?

I'm kind of split on the decision, the student has already paid for the photo/video so that my services and talent are paid for. Outside of the Tandem student and their instructor the photo really does not have much value so the odds of trying to get it printed or sell it outside the sport is a long shot.

What is everyone elses thoughts?

I like to pay a nominal fee for non exclusive rights to use the work in my own productions. The pictures in my instructional BOOK for tandem students all came from great photographers shooting digital stills.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com