karenmeal

Canopy for jumping Camera

So I am really getting into camera stuff and now that I've added a stills camera to my headgear I'm thinking about jumping a canopy that has better openings.

Right now I've got a cobalt, I know the reputation is for nice openings.. but this one doesn't open very nice and I've just not been too happy with it.

I'm thinking about something like a crossfire.. maybe a spectre. I don't want to sacrifice fun landings for good openings if I have to.

Anyone have experience with the openings of crossfire I vs. II? What about when loading up to about 1.8?

Any other suggestions? I don't want to go crossbraced due to cost and pack volume.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I've told everyone that my next canopy will be a pilot.

of course I will demo them all again since its been about 2 years since I jumped different mains.

I have a sabre2 150 and a cobalt 150.

on occasion the sabre gives me a 180 and on one occasion I had a 1440. that's 4 complete rotations, but it flew straight and I kicked out with no prob.

the cobalt I have has been a gorgeous slab of fabric since Ive owned it. I love the way it flies...but I love the way the sabre2 lands.(ofcourse I am only comparing MY 2 caonpies)
My photos

My Videos

Crossfire is very popular, so is the Spectre. I jumped pretty well everything with and without my helmet and ended up settling on a PD Silhouette (It's also the canopy of choice for the military, as I've recently been shown).
Super soft, on-heading openings, semi-elliptical, very trustworthy, IMO. Fun landings are not a problem at all.
One of the camera guys at our DZ just purchased a Crossfire II and loves it. Then again, he'd been jumping a Sabre1 previously, so anything will have a softer opening after that one.:)

I have flown both a Crossfire 1 and a Crossfire 2 at around 1.85:1. Crossfire's (1 & 2) have great opennings and are incredibly fun to fly. The opennings are around 1000 feet and very soft. the Crossfire 2 dives longer, is more hip input sensitive and has much lighter front riser pressure than the Crossfire 1.
Kirk

I have flown both a Crossfire 1 and a Crossfire 2 at around 1.85:1. Crossfire's (1 & 2) have great opennings and are incredibly fun to fly. The opennings are around 1000 feet and very soft. the Crossfire 2 dives longer, is more hip input sensitive and has much lighter front riser pressure than the Crossfire 1.

Well that sounds pretty much perfect...

There is an 84 that is going for sale right now... maybe I should buy it. Just so happens to match my rig too.

I really would like to demo something first.. but holy jeebus! $65 to demo a canopy? You've got to be kidding me!

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Karen,

I do a lot of camera jumps on my Samurai. Good performance and I have had great openings on the canopy... Crossfire has a good reputation on soft openings as well...

Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I went through this when I wanted something faster than my Nitro120 that I could comfortably fly with a big wingsuit (Vampire2).

I demo'd a few canopies and ended up with a few jumps on:
Crossfire2-109 at 1.7
Crossfire2-99 at 1.9
Katana-107 at 1.7
Katana-97 at 1.9
Samurai-105 at 1.8

I have since started doing tandem video and from the start of this year added a digital still camera.

The openings on both the Katana and Crossfire2 were comfortable and they are fun canopies to fly and land well.

The canopy I ended up with though was a Xaos21-100 (at 1.9) because it has the nicest openings of any canopy I have jumped so far. (yes, I have jumped a Spectre and a Pilot)

I know you said you didn't want to consider going crossbraced due to cost and pack volume, but I will offer this:

even for a 'light' loading of 1.8 to 1.9 you would be looking for a pretty small Xaos21 and since the 21/7 cells aren't that popular anymore and the 27/9 cells take higher loadings better, small Xaos21s don't hold their value very well and you can score a good deal on a used one, better than what you are likely to get a Crossfire2 for.

Which just leaves you with pack volume. If you were going to get a Crossfire loaded at 1.8, you would want to load a Xaos a bit higher, so there's a real possibility you would fit it in the same container that would fit a little bigger Crossfire2.

So I am suggesting you try and do a few jumps on Xaos21s because you will love the openings and there's no comparison in flight between crossbraced and non-crossbraced.

I can only speak of my experiences with PD. First off, they have great customer support. I currently jump two Sabre II 150s and I love them (1.35:1 loading). Always soft openings, and, if packed properly, on-heading as well. I have jumped four different Stilletto 150s, and each of them was completely different. A couple were great, one (a PD demo) sucked. If I knew I could get one like my buddy's, I probably would. But I don't want to take a chance. A lot of camera fliers like the Spectre (I've jumped a couple 150s), and it really does give great openings. But I find they don't land as well (as fun?) as the Sabre or Stilletto, and they can't make it back from a long spot nearly as well as either (IMHO). If you are videoing tandems (often last out, pulling below your subject) I wouldn't use one just because of that.

I have a pretty messed up neck and I jump a crossfire 2 because it has been very forgiving. The openings are consistantly slow and it doesn't do crazy diving spinning stuff. It still swoops great too!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I have to agree about PD's customer support. If you guys start making a lot of jumps your gear will wear out (in this case the lines first of all) so no matter what you'll need maintance. You can't beat PD in this matter. I guess the Spectre is one of the most forgiving and docile canopy, with super soft openings. But personally I like the performance too..
I made about 3,000 jumps on Stiletto 135s and 120s. They great, but as the lines are shrinking by the use the openings can get funky. I have a 120 Stiletto with DACRON-525 lines, which makes the pack volume a bit bigger, but the openings are incredible (and it dosen't lose too much either because of the extra drag).
Currently I jump a Velocity-103. The openings are between 1000-1200 feet! (I bacame a dirty high puller) But I wouldn't use a cross-braced canopy if had to leave it for the packers. I always pack it for my self... Also due to the high performace I recommend this model only for those who have lots and lots and even more high performance canopy experince and skills! The power of the Velocity is great, but this can turn against its pilot quickly and hard if he/she doesn't know how to handle it.
-Laszlo-

I have over 300 camera/video jumps on my 2 Sabre 1's (both have pocket sliders and open great!). I demo'd the Crossfire2 for 2 weekends (20 jumps) and fell in love! $65.00 isn't much if it keeps you from making a mistake on your choice of wing! I should have my new Crossfire2 next week!B|

"You made my panties wet!" Skymama (Fitz 09)
"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Hey Karen,
For me the Spectre with dacron lines is an amazing canopy for cameraflying,mainly for the openings...the dacron lines give it that bit of elasticity so that even when the opening occasionally is a bit faster it never slams you.
I agree , it is not the hottest flying canopy out there but you can still have a lot of fun with it.
It´s not that I don´t like faster canopies, ( been jumping velo´s and competing at many swoop comps for a while now ) but the Spectre gives me that extra peace of mind so I can concentrate on filming.
Years ago , I regularly had neck problems due to hard openings with a camerahelmet.Haven´t had any of those problems during the last 8 years that I have been jumping Spectres.

Have fun taking stills!

Bruno
wuk??

http://www.brunobrokken.com

I have jumped crossfire I and II's at about that loading with full camera gear and i agree 100% with what Talonsky said about them. Great canopies for camera work and very fun to fly. I have also jumped cobalts and comp cobalts at those loadings. i was lucky, mine opened nice. I know jump a Katana and i absolutely freaking love it for camera work and for swooping.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I can only speak of my experiences with PD. First off, they have great customer support. .

Gotta second that. Kolla, Kim and crew are terrific. If for no other reason, they make it worthwhile to own PD canopies.

i have a crossfire 2 and a crossfire 1

i have never been slamed under either canopy they open very soft and sweet.

katana is a strange opening canopy very inconsistant and loves to search and shakes you up.

crossfires opening are awesome i actually pack mine to open a bit faster since they can snival a long time.

and the glide to get back under canopy is awesome.

i have a nerological disaesse that effects my neck
CHris

Go for the xfire.Done about 100 on mine and can't fault it.Spectres max at 1.6 wingloading,so that might not be enough for you.Saying that,I've had 2 spectres,and they're good too.I prefer the xfire,though.Gorgeous openings,fun to fly,very light rear riser pressure for those deep spots.

B|

God gave men 2 brains,but only enough blood to fill one at a time....I can live with that.

Hi karen

The softest opening canopy I've used for camera work has been the crossfire-2 approx 800-1000ft openings. Good glide ratio if you need to get back from a long spot. Excellent flair right to shut down on landings. Canopy has very good performance range and is a good swooping canopy. If your still in Snohomish, talk to Brad.H as I sold him my X-fire-2 and he put a few jumps on it.

I started jumping camera using my Sabre 1 (150).

Ever since I bought this canopy it would really spank me once in a while - perhaps every 30 jumps or so for no apparent reason. :S

I mean 'really spank' - my bother borrowed it and ended up with two broken fingers such was the severity of one opening!!!

So I ordered a Pilot 150 having jumped my brother's a couple of times.

Understandably for the first 30 or 40 camera jumps (using the Sabre 1) I was digging my elbows into my chest and holding onto the chinguard of my helmet with both hands as soon as I deployed the pilot chute.

Lo and behold having :Sordered the Pilot 150, the Sabre 1 has been as good as gold ever since. The openings have been brisk (which I like) and clean. I love the Sabre 1 and I will use it over the Pilot as long as it continues to behave itself. That said I would not recommend a Sabre 1 as a camera jump canopy....oh no!

Regards

Red Kite

I jump a Cobalt and Pilot with wing suit.

Right now I've got a cobalt, I know the reputation is for nice openings.. but this one doesn't open very nice and I've just not been too happy with it.

Can it be time for reline?

How many jumps do you have on that set of risers too? You should be replacing those at least every 250 jumps.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I jump a Cobalt and Pilot with wing suit.

Can it be time for reline?

How many jumps do you have on that set of risers too? You should be replacing those at least every 250 jumps.

Replace risers every 250 jumps? Really? Mine have close to 2000 jumps on them and they are only showing minor signs of any wear. I do NOT jump in a desert / dusty cliamate.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Gotta ask about this one...Talked to a Senior rigger a few mins ago, and tossed this in ans an aside.
He thought that was a crazy idea.
We *do* jump in a hot, dry area, but his opinion is that risers (unless unduly stressed) are good for several thousand jumps.