Squeak

2 out roof landing

So, a four-way that turned into a two way that blew past both of the other 'unseen' four way participants. Then he takes it past 1200 trying to film a deployment.
Yep...the problem with small cameras is "snag hazard." :S
This guy's "flight recorder" could very easily been significantly more hurtful to him or the other jumper. Did she make it back to the DZ OK? Or were there two low-timers that landed off?

wow, i really didnt expect all this attention...

First off, let me apologize for the vigil comment and make it clear, I was never blaming my gear, simply making a half-shitty joke..

Secondly, I was also not trying to impress anyone with this video or low pull.. I was simply enjoying learning to backfly, but yes, at unreasonably low altitude..

The reason i didn't land between trees and house was because of 1, the wire, and 2, i was getting blown to the right quite a bit.. That was also my reason for the last turn, i was afraid I would get blown right into the trees on the right, and I was aiming to reach the back yard..didnt happen...

I did get a lot of shit for this, and yea, well deserved..

Lessons learned: pull higher, be more altitude aware, and get an audible...

The santa music was just to once again to relieve the tension and to have a bit of humor in an otherwise shitty and grave situation..

sorry to anyone i pissed off with this, feel free to scold me some more, but if anyone leaves more creative criticism, it is also very much appreciated.

First off, let me apologize for the vigil comment and make it clear, I was never blaming my gear, simply making a half-shitty joke..

Secondly, I was also not trying to impress anyone with this video or low pull.. I was simply enjoying learning to backfly, but yes, at unreasonably low altitude..

The reason i didn't land between trees and house was because of 1, the wire, and 2, i was getting blown to the right quite a bit.. That was also my reason for the last turn, i was afraid I would get blown right into the trees on the right, and I was aiming to reach the back yard..didnt happen...

The santa music was just to once again to relieve the tension and to have a bit of humor in an otherwise shitty and grave situation..

sorry to anyone i pissed off with this, feel free to scold me some more, but if anyone leaves more creative criticism, it is also very much appreciated.

In the video it looks like you flared some. If so how much and why.

glad your ok. very scary.

So, for the record, you are saying that this incident was NOT contributed to by the distraction of the camera.

Would that be correct?

i did flare at the last second when I realized I wouldnt make it over the top of the house.. My logic was: I didn't want to PLF off the roof.. I didn't want to smash face first into the chimney or the roofing.. I ended up sliding onto the roof.. actually not a hard landing at all... I was afraid if I did anything but stop myself there and then, my canopy would snag on something or deflate as I hit the roof, and I wasn't about to run off a 20 roof structure..

the camera did play a role in it of course, but I really didn't appreciate the 'trying to impress the girl' comment.. as many people said, there was nothing impressive about that camera shot, and i was simply enjoying the backflying.. when I did flip over and watch her open, that was simply for my enjoyment..

the bigger distraction was my poor decision to commit to watching the full opening of the other canopy and disregard my own altitude..

the camera did play a role in it of course, but I really didn't appreciate the 'trying to impress the girl' comment.. as many people said, there was nothing impressive about that camera shot, and i was simply enjoying the backflying.. when I did flip over and watch her open, that was simply for my enjoyment..

the bigger distraction was my poor decision to commit to watching the full opening of the other canopy and disregard my own altitude..

How many jumps do you have? I'm not asking to put you down, I just want to know where this falls in the jump numbers/small camera debates. Will you keep flying the camera for now?

James

115 jumps.. ive been doing camera for maybe 10 jumps now.. it hasn't been a problem for me because I don't usually have an issue with the 'capture the shot' mentality..

as you can see, i wasn't making any effort to really get a shot.. i was just falling and looking.. got distracted, sure, but I wouldn't put all blame on the camera..

i have two helmets - one with the drift innovation and one without.. and i do switch back and forth between them depending on what i'm doing, but i really never paid much attention to the camera.. it's there for me to just remember and relive the jump, not for me to try and be a camera pro..

i will keep jumping with the camera, but I just do need to remember to not grow an ego and remember safety before fun..

My apologies if MY comment was off base, but she's a pretty girl...I WOULD have been distracted! :$

Kudos on posting the vid, but you may want to edit the heading & turn it into a learning tool, seems you DID learn something...pass that on.

You got really lucky in several ways, understand HOW lucky and build on that, you fucked up some, but also did some things right to not make a bad situation worse.

Situational Awareness is important ALL during the dive, every decision is important...as you well know, making a good one early alleviates the need to make some hairy ones later! ;)

Oh~ Nice pants...just kidding...no really, just kidding :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You really need to have a think about what you're saying and more importantly what you're doing. You were literally seconds away from being dead. You were then lucky not to be seriously injured on landing, if you even made it that far (if, say, your 2 out turned into a downplane).

I know you've heard this and more from Linda and John but the camera bit doesn't seem to have sunk in.

I was simply enjoying learning to backfly, but yes, at unreasonably low altitude..

Break-off is not the time to learn to back fly............

Don't get 1 audible get 2 and finally only fuckheads pull low.........altitude is your friend....you'll realize why the day you cut away a mal................

More creative criticism?
~learn to belly fly before backflying. It's apparent from exit that you're missing some basics.
~lose the camera til you have the recommended jumps and can belly fly reasonably well.
~learn to be visual with your altitude assessment; you can't always trust an altimeter.
~learn how two-outs are to be managed; any AFF instructor should be able to share this information with you.
~You have at least two of the most experienced, best camera flyers at your DZ at your disposal; spend time with them talking about your errors.
~DON'T just go buy an audible; learn to use what you need vs what augments other instruments.

Yes, and filming the opening of the other canopy is directly related to the camera that you obviously should not be using.
Please read the sticky and small format camera incident thread in the Photography forum. You're in there; might as well read your press from someone else at your home DZ.
Luck stepped in to save your ass. Luck might not be with you a second time.
Congrats on not turning the biplane into a downplane.

thank you for being so brave to stand up here :)

Please, read the last incident from few months ago about a girl with the around the same number of jumps as you, jumping with a camera, filming a tandem. She ended up pulling low which resulted in an off dz landing... and unfortunately fatal ending.

Leave that camera until you reach 200 formation jumps - do it for your own safety and for the safety of your fellow jumpers...

lol @ Twardo's: pussy fixation

115 jumps.. ive been doing camera for maybe 10 jumps now.. it hasn't been a problem for me because I don't usually have an issue with the 'capture the shot' mentality..

as you can see, i wasn't making any effort to really get a shot.. i was just falling and looking.. got distracted, sure, but I wouldn't put all blame on the camera..

i have two helmets - one with the drift innovation and one without.. and i do switch back and forth between them depending on what i'm doing, but i really never paid much attention to the camera.. it's there for me to just remember and relive the jump, not for me to try and be a camera pro..

i will keep jumping with the camera, but I just do need to remember to not grow an ego and remember safety before fun..

Did the girl make it back to the DZ or land off also?

James

Tnx for posting the video, please do listen to what Linda and John are saying, you REALLY should consider not flying with a camera for the next few hundred jumps (really!) and, FWIW, I found your music selection in the video to be genius.
www.wci.nyc

I dont know what you consider "back flying" but you were largely unstable when on your back, given that you cant fly stable in all orientations, what the hell are you doing with a camera on your head?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I dont know what you consider "back flying" but you were largely unstable when on your back, given that you cant fly stable in all orientations, what the hell are you doing with a camera on your head?

The camera was useful in documenting the lack of flying skills, so it served some purpose. When up in the air, not so many people can see it compared to having it posted on youtube. :|
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Once the 2 out occurred he had few good landing areas. I would want to chop the main in that situation. He landed on top of a 2 story building, if he were dragged off due to any wind, very bad.

DO NOT CHOP THE MAIN IN A BIPLANE! That is a good way to die as it entangles your reserve as it leaves.

He should have released the brakes on the main, flown more normally and done a small left to land next to the house. Some day, sooner or later, learning accuracy landings will pay off.