ripcords

Sony retreats from Mini-DV

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony’s-2006-MiniDV-Camcorders.htm

I found this today. News from the consumer electronics trade show. Apparently, there are only four new minidv camcorders to choose from and none of them are matchbook style.

Sony seems to be putting their emphasis on the DVD camcorders rather than the mini dv.

There goes good video quality. All that compressed video on DVD.......... They better bump up their resolution on those cameras. Also, docking stations are gay. Who wants to carry one of those around to charge the camera and transfer video. Life as we know it..... >:(

so whats going to happen?

Do we have to buy the DVD ones now?

Yea. I mean, Sony only released 4 new consumer-level MiniDV cameras this year. It's clearly the Campocalypse. The end of freefall video is near.

And they stopped producing the previous line of cameras.. There is no more PC series cameras that many of us fly. When my camera takes a shit, I will have a hard time finding a replacement that fits my FF2 helmet.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

When my camera takes a shit, I will have a hard time finding a replacement that fits my FF2 helmet.

The main reason I did not buy a FF2, as cool as it seemed. [:/]

Yea, kinda figured that the cameras would be around for a little bit longer, ... At least the PC-1000 ... I'll just try to buy a 1000 to compliment my PC350 next month, hopefully I can still get my hands on one. Should keep me rolling for awhile. :S

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I think you guys may be over reacting just a tad...just because sony is heading more toward the dvd market does not mean people are going to meet up and have mini-dv bonfires to roast the old stuff out of the market. I think in a way it might actually help our cause, if more wuffos buy the dvd burning cameras they will be more willing to sell their outdated pc-1000's and such. We as skydivers have a high need for something (mini-dv sony cameras) most people could care less about. How long has the pc-100 been discontinued, yet you still see them for sale here and there.
Relax...maybe 10 years down the road you won't be able to find a pc-1000 or hc-90, but by then we're all going to be beaming live images down from implanted ocular bionic cameras anyway.:P
Miami

Great, so we can all start buying second hand cameras that have possibly been abused, mistreated, or put through environments they were not designed for, and........ wait a minute, :D:D:P

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

Even more incentive to take good care of our current miniDV cameras.
I am hoping to take good enough care of my HC40 that I can skip the entire DVD generation and go straight to some sort of solid state/flash memory.

And that time is getting closer. I am willing to bet that we will be jumping predominately solid state cameras within 2 years.
The technology is already here, it's just a matter getting someone to put it all together just right.

In this thread http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2011439;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
is a HD solid state camera that IF it works, could be the ticket. Yeah, it might not be GOOD HD, but it might be at least comparable to miniDV.

I'm not too scared yet (but I'm still taking good care of my PC330!)
illegible usually