danvan

Rig security

Hi all,

What do you people do to secure your rigs at home to protect it from or deter burglers? I am very worried about leaving my rig at home without some kind of security. I am thinking of getting a chain and locking it down to my metal bed frame with a padlock (I have a Talon2 with stainless steel rings at the hip), but I would prefer something a little more flexible on where I can leave the rig.

Is there a product designed for this purpose? Just wondering what other people do.

Are there any other tips to deter burglers? e.g. leaving a note telling the would be thief how hard it would be to sell a stolen rig due to the size of the skydiving community, etc? I have heard of someone getting their rig returned after it was found dumped at a tip, because the person who found it had the brains to look into the pocket and find a packing card - problem is even I didn't know rigs had little pockets until a week after I bought my rig. ;-) Are there any other tips on how to make it obvious who owns the rig to a non-jumper who may find the rig?

On a related note, could anyone in Australia give me info on insuring rigs? Any info on who to talk to, how much it would cost, experiences dealing with the companies, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks
Daniel

Unfortunately,i was burgled only last year.If this helps.although the piece of robbing,cowardly scum empied the entire contents of every draw/cuboard in my house, onto the floor of my house ,this included my skydiving equipment he didn't take it.[I can only assume this was because unlike home computers,tv's etc a skydiving rig has no real commercial value outside the skydiving community,therefore making it difficult for said scum whuffo to resell other than to some saddo who my want it as a novelty item.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

dogs (4) semi automatic pistols (several) and semiautomatic rifles .223 & .308 cal. all military versions, and all semi automatic. they might get in, but they ain't leaving, whether it be wounded, or dead.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

iwoldn't worry about it unls you also have your tv and everything else chained down, just put it in a gear bd/ any bad and put it in you closet and it should be fine.. if i broke into your hose nd wsn't a jumper i'd rather take the tv and vcr/dvd player ........... i don't have to worry though, my roomate's two rotweilers will stop most people.....probly lick em to death but i know if a big dog with a tounge came at me i'd run , they don't know they only lick...lol....

dogs (4) semi automatic pistols (several) and semiautomatic rifles .223 & .308 cal. all military versions, and all semi automatic. they might get in, but they ain't leaving, whether it be wounded, or dead.
***Not to forget the claymores,electric fence,razor wire and all of this coupled up to motion sensors and proxcimitors watched by 24hr automated computer surveilence.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

Trigger you are lucky. I had that same thing happen to me. They even took my cordless phone and vacuum. And most importantly they took my beloved rig and gear bag with my log book in it. Words can't describe the frustration that I felt when I came home and found my rig gone. They could have all the rest of my stuff, but they had to take my rig. I hate theives. The best thing that can be done about this is to get renter's insurance or make sure it is covered under home owners insurance. Make sure they have all serial numbers and pictures. At least you will be able to get it replaced. I wish I had done that.

Most burglers would take what looks value,meaning locking it down/in by metal and so on is just telling them that it has a value..
As said theres aint the same market for used gear as tv´s and so on.I think if they steal it,it would be becours they know were to get mony for it or by a mistake..
My BASE rigs stands in their sthasbags and my skydive gear in its kitbag in my bedroom.

But i NEVER leave my gear in a car... they can take the car,but my gearB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Scared of close contact eh? :P I personally keep a Samurai sword under the bed. It's a dead blade version for martial arts but you could still stab someone with it, plus it would scare the shit out of a burglar if I came running down the stairs with a sword and an erection!

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

Scared of close contact eh?

not even. i live in the country in the middle of nowhwere, it would be hard to explain to the authorities if an intruder gained access to my house unauthorized. (for the intruder that is) personally, if i witnessed the intrusion, i'd probably just step back and watch the mauling, because nothing, or anybody that isn't recognized, or invited comes in or around my house or yard, that's why i have my dogs. like i said, they may get in, but they won't leave by themselves.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

All,

One of our local skydivers had her home broke into three days before Christams (ya know, the Christmas robbing spree) and they grabbed her gear bag. She lost everything. Fortunately she had replacement insurance on the house and was paid for the gear and submitted the receipts for the new stuff which they paid.

While her gear was stolen and replaced, what she also lost was her most valuable piece of skydiving gear.... her logbook and had just done her 350th jump. Lesson learned..... DO NOT KEEP THAT WITH YOUR GEAR!!

On a separate note; she registered everything that was stolen on dropzone.com, itsbeenstolen.com, ssk has a stolen cypres database, police reports, everything. Becuase she did all this... her gear was found in the back of a stolen car and was registered as stolen by so many different agencies, the police immediately knew they had found some stolen gear. The story ends where the kids driving the stolen car fingered the burglar who had broken into her house and this was his third strike.

Because the insurance agency had paid for the gear, the best she was offered was the opportunity to make a bid on her gear... what was never found was the logbook... make copies and put in a lock box, keep it in a separate part of the house... anything different not to lose that.

Remember that most thieves are stupid and lazy.
They will only grab things that they can grab quickly and are easy to fence.
Few thieves have clue where to fence stolen parachutes.
Fortunately the market for stolen parachutes is tiny.
Out of sight equals out of mind.
Put your rig in a boring suitcase and hide it in the closet.
Good point about stowing your logbook separate from your rig, maybe in your helmet bag?

Would you like to hear a couple of stories about stupid parachute thieves?
The first story occurred a decade ago near Calgary. Someone broke into a skydiving school and stole a Manta. A few months later he was stupid enough to brag about the parachute stapled to his ceiling to a first jump student. The student told his instructor, who told the police, who told the judge and by the time the thief had paid for patches, a new line set and done a few hundred hours of community service - picking weeds at the airport, etc. ....

The second theft occurred at Pitt Meadows, last May. The thieves grabbed seven rigs, mostly antiques. A few days later they offered to sell the rigs to a member of a group of motorcycle enthusiasts who prefer to remain nameless. He explained how he and his buddies did not want to be involved with petty theft and six of the rigs returned to the DZ four days later. The seventh rig turned up a few months later when someone offered to sell a "Hobbit" container to a local skydiver in front of the 7/11. He called the cops, who replied:"Do you mean the guys we just cited for public drunkeness?"

Unless you've taught your dogs to use those firearms they do you no good when you're not there :)

Maybe we can install a Lo-Jack device on a rig? Now that would be taking it to the next level.;)

I was already thinking about this.. was kicking around the idea of designing / implementing a gps/cellular based device that you can actually query and find out it's physical location. Would probably go in the reserve area (so it isn't "easily" removed) problems though is the amount of testing that will have to go into seeing if having an RF device close to the cypres will have any effect, also modifying a rig's reserve area i think is against the TSO

Hi
I have been checking out a device called Pak Safe which is also available in Australia through disposals stores. It's made for securing backpacks but looks like it would handle a rig as well. basically, it is a wire mesh bag which is secured to an object via a wire rope and padlock

Just a follow up to security at home...

What do you do about security at the DZ?

At my DZ, it's not really a problem, as we're a single cessna DZ, and there aren't too many people around at once... But what about places like Perris, we there are slightly more?
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will settle with insurance and putting a hospital wrist band around the leg strap as a means of identification to someone who might find it.

With the log book, I might photocopy it every couple of weeks and file the copies just in case.