grue

It looks to me like the Samsung SC-X105L might be a great product...

... for those of us who want to record our jumps without having a bulky cam right on our head, and don't want to spend a tonne of money recording, and don't need professional quality. Not to mention with the remote lens, it's a lot safer, I'd think, as long as you route the cable well.

The other alternative is the VioSport AdventureCam series, but those + a small DV cam to put in a pocket are going to cost more than the Samsung..

Anyone else have any thoughts?
cavete terrae.

This has been talk about already, you may try and run a search.

well, the only thread I found about it outside of the bonfire had one reply, and basically it automatically sucks just because it's a samsung :P
cavete terrae.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1558002;

Poor low light, low video resolution/high compression, expensive media, small capacity, no lanc port, no firewire.

_Am

Ah, I didn't search for Samsung, only the model #

Anyway, like I said, I don't need pro quality stuff, and I think the small size and lack of complexity would be worth it... but there's no way I'm blowing $600 on one anyway... not yet at least. Need a rig first :|
cavete terrae.

Since you went to Iowa :P

As for the safety aspect - get a professional opinion.

What everyone else said about quality etc. etc. but let me guess the motivation - don't want to be a camera flyer just yet, don't wan't the hassles of a head mounted studio, and don't plan on putting 20 jumps on a tape. Do want to capture the moment, see the jump from your perspective, want to remain safe at your skill level? Right so far?

There are several small cams on the market that record in MPEG4 which may be just what you are looking for. There are one or two that even record in at a decent quality level but have less than optimal lenses or chips. If your plans are low profile and download your jumps every jump or two, a chip recorder cam might make sense. You wouldn't need a lanc cause you'd probably just turn it on when you got on the plane (or on the trip to altitude if you're not jumping a King Air) and turn it off when you got down. A 1 GB chip would give you about 20 minutes at the higher (for the camera) resolutions. All this for only $600-1000 U.S.

Of Course there are also a few very small digitals on the market that will return a video stream at about the same quality (a little less) that would mount very cleanly on the front of the right helmet, are very light, could be used for video or time lapse stills, and cost $300-$400.

If your looking to mount a non-obtrusive device for personal use there are some options. As for the safety aspect - get a professional opinion. Like me at this stage - I don't know what I don't know about what could go wrong - and if it can go wrong it eventually will.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

Get the camera, its perfect for what you want it for. I know several jumpers, non-videographers, who love them. You dont need a lanc, or a firewire, or great resolution, you want it to record your jumps. Videographers do not like these cameras(myself included), but I do think they are very worthwhile for a new jumper who is not interested in selling videos. If you decide to become a videographer in the future, then Im sure you will buy somthing better, but until then, its perfect.... As for safety, I beleive you could make a cordura pouch and velcro it to a frap hat if you wanted, those things are so tiny....(not that Im suggesting this) I wish they had these things out years ago... Have one of your DZ videographers help you come up with a system for jumping it, and take thier advice on when you are ready...

Yes, Im telling this to someone with 9 jumps to his name. I also told him to talk with experienced guys from his dropzone... this is important because I think too many of us get caught up in an elitist frame of mind and too readily dismiss guys like this as being too new to the sport to even be allowed to ask. Things have changed since we started shooting video. more and more people want to jump with a camera as they get smaller and less expensive. these people will do it regardless of what we tell them. The new hard drive cameras that are coming out are incredible... They are tiny, and with a proper mount, I beleive they pose very little hazard.. Vidiots wont ever use them, but future camera flyers could benift. I started jumping video back in 1996, with 40 jumps. I was wrong, but you couldnt have told me that back then. I feel its better if we do not treat guys like this like this(new jumpers who want to fly video) like they are idiots who need 500 jumps before they can even THINK of jumping video, and instead help them do it right. Things have changed in this sport. No more BIG cameras(remember reel to reel, hi 8, even TRV's???) that can cause problems during deployment. This thing is so small, I cannot see it causing any problems. And if we show guys like this the right way to get involved, we are better off than simply looking at thier jump numbers and telling them to come back 500 jumps later. . Im willing to bet that not many people could have told you that you werent ready to jump a camera when you started. I sure was not going to listen... As for jump numbers... I know folks with more than 10000 jumps who are probably not ready to jump video. I certainly dont have all the answers, I just think its better to help the guys who are interested rather than just telling them they arent ready. Reminds me of the guys who are trying to buy VLO's with 40 jumps and doing amazing things with them just prior to impact. If I am out of line here, I apologize... I would still suggest this camera to ANYONE who is interested in learning to shoot video.

An issue that I've already kinda seen is that someone was talking about getting one of these then working into the video rotation at the DZ. They could'nt see a difference in the cameras would be or why they would not be able to sell footage from this $600 camera when there are cheaper Mini-DV camera's out there that people are using. More $$$ camera should be better footage right? :S

If someone is really truely interested in video flying I think a better thing then strapping a camera on and going is to talk to a mentor to develop a training program that works on specific skills to get to the point where you can fly with out being a danger to anyone and still be close for the shot with out a camera attached.

I'll just sit and read for a while since I've got a full setup straped to my head and this camera has zero use for me.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

As a developer in the high tech industry, I am witnessing amazing advancements in video. At the last trade show (CES), some cameras are so tiny, they could easily fit inside a corner of an altimeter.

Amazing stuff. Prototypes the size of a sugar cube!

It's gradually getting to the point that maybe someday there'll be automatic smart hidden cameras that automatically point (so you don't have to point), that start and stop automatically that you don't even need to know they are there. Of course, not as high quality, but it just means funjumpers are even more and more likely to carry cameras in the future.

Someday, I want to have a camera even just funjumping, but I'll only do it when my instructor tells me I am ready. Some 500-plus jump people at my DZ carry them regularly during their funjumps, filming each other during freefly formation flying, etc. They are videographers in training, but also pratice them as a matter of funjumping too.

By the time I am ready, years later, they should be small enough to be absolutely no snag hazard at all, embedded inside a helmet recess just like an audible altimeter attached to the side of a helmet.

I can see this is controversial... obviously. Needless to say, they are becoming less and less of hazards as they become smaller and smaller.

>>remember reel to reel, hi 8, even TRV's???

As a student reading up on history of skydiving, I read that they even had VHS vests in the old days. A bulky VCR strapped to your belly! For those old two-piece camera-recorder systems. That was in the 1980's timeline.

Cloth covered, they almost LOOKED like front-mounted reserves!!!

Imagine that, some skydivers here weren't even *born* yet...

Some 500-plus jump people at my DZ carry them regularly during their funjumps, filming each other during freefly formation flying, etc. They are videographers in training, but also pratice them as a matter of funjumping too.

On a normal weekend I see way more video cameras on the heads of freefliers then on anyone else. I once again witnessed a near miss on video 2 weeks ago by someone that might have some jump experience, but should'nt be jumping video. He got distracted by his new camera and forgot his RW dive plan and a funnel resulted.

Video is a distraction. No matter what anyone says it is at some point a distraction. I've fallen victim to it, I've seen other video guys at my DZ get distracted, and I watched a few Cypres fires last summer at WFFC due to it distracting therm.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

True. Playing videographer would be a definite distraction, even if you don't fiddle with the camera. That's why if I try it in a few years, I intend to get proper instruction. I love photography, as you can see on my homepage at www.marky.com/pictures.

That's a long way down the road. Currently, my aim is to make 100 jumps and a "B" rating to make the October DWR2005 or DWR2007 "training camp". (www.deafskydivers.org) Money issues will be the downfall of this. :S

Has anyone tried out the Samsungs latest version the VP X1 10L yet, this one has a 1G on board memory and a lot more features than the previous model.

I am a normal flatflyer and just want to use it for instructional dives without the heavy weight of other cameras, has done that for years and still suffer the old neck injuries.

Any feedback would be appreciated. At this stage it is one one of the cheapest cameras we can buy in the RSA, still an amazin $900 but compared to the Sony which goes for $1500, could be worth while wasting the money on a toy????

SuperCircuits has provided me with many a camera. They're small, high quality and have low power consumption. If you don't want to have the recording device mounted on your head, mount one of their MVCs and keep the recorder somewhere else.

Any time a major company dips into a preexisting market and tries to catch up, they always fall on their face. That Samsung camera is a lot like a Nike golf club... A nice idea, a good way to make money but a poor way to spend money in light of the other options.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Does anyone have an example of the video captured with the external lens?

My wife gave me one for Christmas. So I will try it out tomorrow.

I have a normal camera on one of my helmets. Damn the opening will break my neck one day.

So I would like to try this out. Plus I don't do this for a living, just to record my jumps.

Later FF

well after a couple of jumps i am satisfied with this little camera. It is not for you if you are trying to make a living out of camera flying.

but if you want something that won't break your neck and to record your jumps. this is for you.

I purchased some rechargeable batteries for the external camera. Seems akaline batteries won't last long.

FF

For anyone interested in a bullet camera solution... I've had one of these pre-ordered for over a year, and it's finally going to be shipping in February. It's based on solid state media, small, and rugged. I had originally ordered it for racing use, but now that I've started skydiving it seems like it would be great for that as well.

http://www.chasecam.com/recorders/pdr.htm

If you look around on that site, they also have a 580 line bullet camera available to go along with the recorder.

Wow, that looks like a very cool solution. Last year I was looking at the Fast Forward Video's (www.ffv.com) Mini DVR Pro, but it cost $3,500 without any flashcard memory.

I've always wanted to do video, but I've been holding off until I could find a relavely economical bullet-cam setup that didn't require multi-cables, battery packs, separate CamCorder, etc. that shot better video than the Samsung. This looks ChaseCam looks like a good solution. One box, one cable, internal power. I like it! Let us know how it goes.