weegegirl

Non chin cup, low profile camera helmets??

That's what I'm looking for. Can anyone make some suggestions? Price is not that much of an issue. I want something comfy, low profile, and without the need for a chin cup. I love my aviator freefly helmet... so can anyone recommend something close to that that would make a good camera helmet??

Thanks. :)

You can mount a camera on damn near anything if you want. It becomes a question of if that helmet should really have a camera on it.

Have you ever worn camera on a helmet before? For a non-professional grade (FTP, etc) helmet I couldn't imagine jumping without a chincup. The helmet would move around too much and be really uncomfortable (not to mention kinda dangerous for my neck, if only using a nylon strap like most helmets).

That new Bonehead helmet (Illusion?) is pretty badass if you get a chance to look at one, especially when used with the new(er) bonehead d-boxes. You don't even have to fab anything yourself, just drill some holes and you're done. If it was any easier the camera would fly by itsself.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I made about 50 or 60 camera jumps last year with an old peice of junk velocity helmet. It had a chin cup and I hated it. I couldn't talk or communicate with anyone in freefall. And it was very uncomfy. I need to try some things on before I buy one.

I wish they still made the 1/2 rack. I've also heard that the clam shell designs are very good in general.

get a hawkeye.........you don't have to get the chin cup with those.

I wish they still made the 1/2 rack. I've also heard that the clam shell designs are very good in general.

i think the new "gun rack" from bonehead is the bat rack with that new mount on it, i'd bet if you asked them nicely they would put the old style mount back on it..........but even the 1/2 racks came with a chin cup, the only ones i can think of that didn't have chin cup was marshels and sporto, i assuming that they must have put the chin strap on themselves (which isn't really a big deal either).

later

later

Anything with out a chin cup is going to move around which makes having a sight or sighting you camera in useless. If all you want is to film FFs without regard to them being centered all the time then you can put a camera on just about anything. You can shim your helmet to fit snug so you don't have to crank the chin cup down so much you can't talk but taking shouldn't be an issue if your worried about filming, plus there are hand signals;) The Optik Illusion as Dave mentioned is a good middle of the road helmet as it allows you to grow if you get more in depth with filming and want to add things without going full blown to a FTP.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

if you can get a hold of a COOKIE camrea helmet try that, it has a chin cup but I've seen people fly it without the cup.
A well fitted COOKIE is VERY snug and has very little movment:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The Velocity helmet comes without a chin cup, so you can just go back to the neck strap configuration if you find that more comfortable. I can confirm that the helmet will move in freefall, but the amount of movement is consistent and your sight can be adjusted accordingly. Mine (with the neck strap) is quite comfortable, bit I axed it in favor of a my new (old model) FFX which is more snag resistant.

Ed

Old style Bonehead Mindwarp. You need the one with the string you pull to tighten the liner. It will hold still with a PC type video on the side, and a light still camera (Rebel) on top. You don't need a chin cup, and you really don't even need the chin strap (I'd still use it, but it doesn't have to be tight).

You'll have to buy it used, or talk BH into making you one. Good luck with either one.

This all really good info. Thanks guys. I think I need to try on the Hawkeye. I've been told that now by a few people. I've owned a Bonehead in the past, and I just found that it was "too much helmet" for me. Even though you can bake them down, it just never fit right.

LouDiamond... I think all but one of the videographers at Tecumseh fly without a chincup... for play and payed video. And the video quality is very high compared to other dz videos I've seen. I'll have to talk to them about how they built up their helmets, because whatever they did, it's working well for them. :)

What ever you do besure you can get rid of the helmet if needed, I don't think it is wise to jump without a cutaway system on the helmet, granted I did for a long time and never needed one, but better to have and not need, then to need and not have.:)Just food for thought.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I think all but one of the videographers at Tecumseh fly without a chincup... for play and payed video. And the video quality is very high compared to other dz videos I've seen.

That is correct, 3 out of our 4 videographers fly 1/2 rak's without a chin cup and their videos (and stills) are right on (tandem, aff or just for fun).

I'll have to talk to them about how they built up their helmets, because whatever they did, it's working well for them. :)

Since Sporto helped me build mine, I know the secret ;) Instead of using the helmet lining that Bonehead provides (or in addition to), we use leg strap padding to custom fit the helmet. Once you cinch up the clamshell, the helmet does not move. Since the helmet is so fitted, the chin strap just hangs loose, it has no real function.
My disclaimer: I'm sure there are many ways out there to build a camera helmet, but that is what works for them.:)

Since there is only one clam style helmet on the market I know of (The GunRack) you've got to go that route if you want to do this. Too bad that helmet looks ugly as sin and has a lot of unneeded metal on it for your needs.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

That's what I thought about the GunRak, Phree... I looked at the photo on their website and was like EEK!

Chrissay... I'll prolly call you when I buy a helmet and pick your brain. Thanks, Chick. :P

If anyone knows of any old style clam shells for sale, please send me the info. ;)

Since there is only one clam style helmet on the market I know of (The GunRack) you've got to go that route if you want to do this. Too bad that helmet looks ugly as sin and has a lot of unneeded metal on it for your needs.

AGREED!! Some guys at our dz fly a gunrak and they wrapped the grate in gaffers tape....it helped...a little....

Liz--call Sporto if you need a brain to pick--I don't know enough to recommend--I just know what works for me!! :D

Liz, I'd seriously recommend trying different chincup designs out there. There is one out there that just plain hurt me to wear it, but another that I have no issues with and its as comfy as my strap helmet.

The ability to have a cutaway system built into the system needs to be added to your list also.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If anyone knows of any old style clam shells for sale, please send me the info.

You need to look for an old bonehead DaBomb, like the one TJ USED to fly, and like the one Goat in Atl. flies.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Some guys at our dz fly a gunrak and they wrapped the grate in gaffers tape....it helped...a little....

It really wouldn't be that hard to machine out a new rack for that helmet, that's much smaller and lower profile.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Weegegirl,
We have a dozen customers that jump side mounted cameras without using a chincup. A flexible helmet shell that allows to open the helmet up to get your head in and when the chin strap is adjusted correctly it pulls the sides of the helmet in without choking you makes for a snugger fit.

We have also mounted the camera enclosures low on the side mount. We feel that this can reduce movement on the wearers head.

See the attached pic of Buck from "Team Cookie" to give you an idea.

Cookie
www.cookiecomposites.com

I used to fly a Velocity helmet without chin-cup... It works OK, but if you're interested in being paid for video you really need the stability you can only get from a chin-cup.

If you're only looking to do it for fun, then maybe the best (cheapest) solution is to just take the chin-cup off your veolcity?

Otherwise, take a look at some of the other helmets. I first looked at the Gun-Rak because I thought I liked the Clam-shell, but I ended up buying a Flat-Top-Pro when it became obvious it's simply the best camera helmet out there.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

bonehead da bomb (old style) for sure. you can find a used one out there, you just have to look. it is a clamshell style, and you do not need a chin cup. It is what i use and i love it. i'm a small girl. i hate chin cups. and the best thing of all is that you still get great STEADY footage without a chin cup! it took us 6 months to find mine...good luck! but it's worth it! also...it looks sexy as hell (low profile).

no aggiedave i'm not sponsored...i just love my bonehead da bomb that much. it just feels that good.

I have the same problem looking month which helmet fits without a cin cup dont find one who was good enough for me. then I build my one helmet - fullfaced with fliping lens and the camera is mounted on the top. on the lens I marked the area that my camera catch so I have not the problem to find the middle of the picture, horizon is very easy to find and all the space of the picture I fill up with the skydivers. as I do so in the first time of starting my "filmcamera career" i made "perfekt" films - only little problems in the exit and which positions for tandem or belly flyer are to take.

:)
Red´s doch einfach in ein Sackerl!

You can use basically any freefly helmet (or fulface for that matter) without a chincup to mount a camera to...but, you aren't going to have a very stable video especially with the camera on the side catching air. Chin cups are also safer. Even if you dont have a cutway system on it, if a line gets caught on your video setup, the chin cup wont choke you to death, the strap will definetly cause more issues. Check out the cookie composites, they are more expensive, but worth it for their boxes anyway. Bonehead makes great helmets, I would recommend the optic illusion, even though its got a "chin cup" its a front entry helmet and very stable. Also two platforms for mounting.

Cheers,
Travis

back to what Aggiedave was saying..

I've just for an illusion from BH with a new Dbox and im using a pc350 side mounted... its a superb basic setup.. once baked it fits like a glove, and who knows... later down the line, theres a nice flat surface on top to attatch a stills camera..

i can recomend it, plus delivery time was about 1 week!
quote 'you are to go around... next time extend your landing gear'

Ya, those new illusions are great entry level/mid level helmets for video. I wouldn't recommend the bonehead d boxes though. In my opinion, you can get something more stable, better looking, and more accurate for the same price and even cheaper in other places. Bonehead tends to sell their name sometimes I think.

Cheers,
Travis