Cornholio

Buying the PC-105 is a pain in the A$$

Uncle Sam sent me a bonus this year, so I plan on buying the PC105.

First I scan the web and e-bay looking for the best deals. Ebay has some OK deals, but I'm not quite comfortable buying that camera thru an auction. so I look online and found some really good deals (or so I thought.) The first company has the "PC-105" at $569.00. OMG - Put in an order right away since this is the lowest price I've seen so far. I get an e-mail asking for me to call them for order confirmation. I do and they tell me that it's going to be 3-4 weeks for delivery. WTF ?? I ask why and they tell me that this is the PAL version. WTF ?? I looked on their web page... nothing about PAL or for that matter - NTSC. I cancel the order and e-mail a complaint to their order and support aliases telling them that their web page is misleading and they should change it.

I look up #2 on the low price list - $599 and place an order with them. This time I called before and made sure that it was NTSC. They said yes, I said ok, let me think about it and I'll order it online. So I order it, and get the usual confirmation (would you like any accessories?) e-mail from them. I call them back and they say that it is NTSC, however it is not a US model and if I have any problems with it, I gotta ship it back to Thailand as the US Sony repair shop won't warranty it. WTF ?? I ask about the US model and they tell me that it's $780. No thanks, I'll keep looking.

So I looked at the old faithful that you guys all recommend (dbuys.com) and they sell it for $744. So is this the US version, and repairable in the US ? Any other cheaper places (websites ?) to get this camera ? I'm strongly looking at e-bay now...

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

I got my PC105 from ibuydigital.com (which is really just DBuys) and had it in my hands about a week later, no problems. They do use a confirmation call to try and sell extras but it was no big deal.

Edit: It came in a sealed original Sony box for North American sales.

I went straight to the source - the sony store. I wanted to be able to walk to the shop and talk to the guy that sold me it and get any porblems fixed. No uncertainty this way. Surprisingly enough, it was a good price. $950 canadian... thats about $730 US. I looked all over the net, and once you factor in shipping to canada, (which might as well be on the moon for some of the prices they want to charge) it was cheaper to buy it in the store. check it out, its worth a try!

Well, after carefully shopping around, I chose digitaldirect.com. They sell the camera for $688, plus I got the basic accessory pack $129 and rapid charger $59 with overnite delivery $59 all for the low low price of $931.00. :)
edit: Also, their web page states that there is a USA MFG warranty, 14 day no hassle-return policy, and that the camera specs are NTSC.

I'll let you know in a couple days how it goes.

I went through e-bay, used the buy it option for a new camera. Paid $850 delivered. Got the camera, filters, tripod, bag, 3 tapes, a 4.5x wide angle lens(which is on loan to a buddy already), a tele-photo lens and a step up ring. The seller was priceitwholesale. Had it in about 6 business days.

JM

I went straight to the source - the sony store. I wanted to be able to walk to the shop and talk to the guy that sold me it and get any porblems fixed. No uncertainty this way. Surprisingly enough, it was a good price. $950 canadian... thats about $730 US. I looked all over the net, and once you factor in shipping to canada, (which might as well be on the moon for some of the prices they want to charge) it was cheaper to buy it in the store. check it out, its worth a try!

man, that's cheap, especially for a Sony store...
the one I went to here in Toronto wanted $1200 CAD and that's before the damn 15% sales tax!

soon to be gone

Yeah, e-bay does have some good deals on it. I frequent that site occaisionally. ;) However, I did want to get a rush on this as we're going away this weekend and wanted the camera at the lowest price I could find online with overnite delivery. I found it. It was cheap, but I'm sure I could have found cheaper if I wanted to wait a week for shipping, or other considerations.

Dude be very carefull, I had that happen to me a year ago and got stock paying $1.000 for my PC101 almost $200 more, I did not sent it back cuz of the re stock fees.>:(
I learned that sometimes cheaper is not better buy from a known company, I don't know if I'm allow to post the name here but PM me.

Just be carefull who do you give your credit card number .;)
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

Uncle Sam sent me a bonus this year, so I plan on buying the PC105.

First I scan the web and e-bay looking for the best deals. Ebay has some OK deals, but I'm not quite comfortable buying that camera thru an auction. so I look online and found some really good deals (or so I thought.) The first company has the "PC-105" at $569.00. OMG - Put in an order right away since this is the lowest price I've seen so far. I get an e-mail asking for me to call them for order confirmation. I do and they tell me that it's going to be 3-4 weeks for delivery. WTF ?? I ask why and they tell me that this is the PAL version.

Hey Corn, where was this deal at I'm in Oz and PAL is what we use that price is really good.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well it arrived this afternoon as expected and promised. NTSC model and US warranty.

Woohoo!! Now to get some play time with it before I strap that baby to my noggin.

Now to get some play time with it before I strap that baby to my noggin.

have fun... i thinki;ve used my camera for video work about twice now for non skydiving related things...lol.. do use the still pic function a bit hough for non skydiving.... i have a pc101 and love it... hope you have as much fun with your 105!!!

I just bought one from an online store called stop4camera.com, for 657 bucks, shipping included. They say in nice easy to read letters that it has a USA manufacturers warranty and that it is not a gray market item. The manufacture part no. is DCR-PC105 which is what the NTSC version of the camera should be. So we'll see how that goes. I had to tell a guy like 5 times on the phone that I wasn't interested in anything but the camera, but he didn't really push that hard anyway, so no big deal. Now I just gotta sit around and wait for it to show up. (That's the hard part) :S

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Thanks for this post!! I just went to this site and ended up buying the Sony DCR-PC105 ProKit-- which includes the camera (duh), a 30mm wide angle lens, 5hr battery, battery charger, lens filter set, tripod, large carrying case, 5pk 60min tapes, and a lens cleaning kit. Um, that's awesome! And I got it all for $711.95 after adding the cheapest shipping option. I've done a lot of research and this looked like the best deal out there, so I just bit the bullet and ordered. I'll let you all know my results with this site-- and hey, if something bad ends up happening, I have the no-questions 14-day return on my side, so it looks all good.... agh, I hope! :S :$

I don't know how to do the clicky thing, but here's the site link again to the 105...

http://www2.buydigitaldirect.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=cnet&sku=DCR-PC105

Humm,the latest sony Video Cam is list for $1,100!Da Navy is going to pay most of it for me.Gonna make up the diff with on-line cheaper price and packing this spring and summer.It's only been ages since I wanted 1!Working hard and doing some saving will make me enjoy it more!

I ordered my 105 from butterflyphoto in August. I got it for $730 plus $20 shipping and got it in 4 days in the original box, sealed. I love it. The only problem I had with side mounting is that the hand strap is attached to the side of the camera with these little protruding bars...I just had to drill into my bracket a bit to get it to rest flat. As well, the photo button pushes against the side as well, and I had to make a hole for that as the flash kept popping open and I had a lot of pictures taken... I don't know if this is common place for most cameras... It was my first one, and yes I had a very experienced cameraman help me assemble my helmet....

Yep, I just ordered mine from Butterflyphoto as well, after finding out that the first place I ordered from had it on backorder (2-3 weeks) and hadn't planned on letting me in on that little fact. I got mine for 705. (2 day shipping included)

It will be delivered tomorrow or monday. B|B|B|

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

You know what-- just so you all know-- I think the website messed up and had the Prokit (the one I mentioned buying earlier) listed incorrectly for about an hour or something, and that's when I just happened to be shopping, and decided to purchase. Now, the same kit is priced at $936, and the camera alone is $687-- probably what it should have been originally. Hopefully the website will honor the posted price-- I have an invoice anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I should have it within the next couple of days-- I'll let you guys know! :)