c2278222

To roll the nose or not?

i have about 80 jumps on sabres (60 on 210, last 20 on 190) and have not rolled the nose yet...and also have not cracked myself on opening yet (knock on wood)....

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

If you talk to PD they will tell you not to roll the nose. The only thing that rolling the nose will do is give you an offheading opening. Think of it logistically, what are the chances of the rolls unraveling equally...NONE. I have 100s of jumps on Sabres. Never rolled the nose once, never spanked either. Roll the tail up nice and tight and make sure that the slider is completely slid down to the attatchment points of the lines to the canopy and that it is quartered properly so it can catch as much air as it can when it opens. Should be no problems. Good luck.:)

If you talk to PD they will tell you not to roll the nose.

Could be..

The only thing that rolling the nose will do is give you an offheading opening.

That's not true.. ever since I started rolling the nose four by four, I've had perfectly pleasant openings.

But every canopy is different in the way it opens (and thus the way it should be packed..)

I jump a Sabre 135 from time to time. When I pack it, I don't roll the nose or the tail. I don't "set" the nose way back. I don't clean out the inside, or carefully flake between the lines either. I get smooth and fast, but not hard openings.
Lines straight, brakes set, slider unstowed and up against the stops, pilot chute cocked, locking stows in good condition. Not much else to this packing stuff.
Mark

PD WILL tell you that rolling the nose WILL give you off heading openings...ask them. I have seen John Leblanc and Scott Miller give multiple seminars on packing. If this were a question about a Safire, I wouldnt say anything about this, but this is for a PD canopy...so I go with what I know and what PD has told me.

I would also be VERY carefully putting the nose deep into the back of the canopy, especially if it is a bigger size. You can get a lineover very easily. Think about it...if you push the nose in deep...where do the lines go? The lines wrap around the front of the nose...potentially causing a lineover. Yet again, another PD packing tip.

I have a Sabre 150 and never have rolled the nose. I find rolling the tail about 10 times or so give me the best openings..they are brisk but not hard. Anymore then 10 times I can get it to snivel a bit but it seems to give more off heading openings

I agree 100%. I also have 100s of jumps on my original sabre, pack exactly as you describe and never have problems.

I think the people who are having hard openings on the Sabre have something else wrong with their setup...i.e. wrong size rubber bands or bag too big for their main, etc.

I'm just glad to hear there are others that like their original Sabre as well.

Rock

First thing, ANY canopy can whack you...poop happens. But for the most part, people that jump sabres are beginner jumpers, most of them arent aware of gear, canopies, etc. Therefore...more hard openings happen from shitty packing and gear knowledge. It could be rubber bands, short line stows, a number of things...all in all, crappy set up with little knowledge of how their gear works.

-Dolemite

"Officially disapproved by the man"

It could be rubber bands, short line stows

I wouldn't say that, read the posts on the thread I linked, its been discussed right now http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/Gear_and_Rigging_F6/Line_Stow_Experiment//Hard_openings._P425419/

A friends experience with the sabre he told me that rolling the tail very tight for about 10 times and making sure the slider is all the way up, makes him have the sweetest openings ever.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

Yep, read it. With my velocity...I only use 1 inch linestows. double stowed, large rubber bands. That is for different reasons other than hard openings. I would not recommend that for a sabre however. certain canopies can perform differently under different instances. I would go with what PD recommends on this one.

-Dolemite

"Officially disapproved by the man"

I had a Sabre 107.....It would be very "positive" on opening.

I made sure my line stows were correct...guess what? Still "positive" on opening....

I Rolled the tail...again, not much better.

I rolled 4 in 4....Very nice.

I will always roll 4 in...Hell I do it on my Stiletto, and on the Velocity. (However I don't Stuff the nose on these, just roll them in.)

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ive got about a 100 on my sabre and I do the 4 and 4 roll that bytch described. Leave the middle cell out and stuff it gently to the middle. I also roll my tail pretty tight and I have had nothing but great openings. I cant remember the last ass slammer that I packed (someone elses pack job is a different story).

Here's to the Breezes that blows through the Trezzez.....

I have an original Sabre 150, original slider, load it at 1.2ish, and almost always open with collapsed end cells and a slowly decending slider. I never roll the nose. As a packer, I am of the opinion that most sabre hard openings are due to sloppy packing. I don't use any magic tricks and don't usually get complaints on sabre openings.

I have hundreds of jumps on original Sabres.
I always rolled the nose, but believe that other things (i.e. slider position) are more important for softening openings.
At one point I had so many pockets sewn on my slider that it took 1,000 to open!
Original Sabres only spanked me when I got lazy with line stows.

If it is spanking you, then I'd say either do "4in5" or "psycho" but would not do a conventional "roll" to the nose.
As usual pay attention to producing a symmetrical packjob with the slider properly quatered and fully against the stops.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868