skyjuggler

SONY IP-5

Here in the UK most camcorder shops state that it is not possible to get a a 0.45 wide angle lens for the IP5. However last week in Sebastian I met a lady with a IP5, an adapter and a 0.45 wide angle lens. Is this common practice in the US, where could I get the required adaptions and what other options do I have available to me with the IP-5?

James mate,give jessops a try,when i brought my lens it also reqiured a reducer to fit the wide angle to the stock lens,although not a IP5/7 i distinctly remember there being a heap of different sizes available.Alternately a small/friendly engineering firm could make you one if push came to shove . This option may prove costly.:)Plan B get a pc8/9 cheaper to buy and so are the dv tapes....

.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

hey skyjuggler, most lenses (as ya said) come only in 37mm filter diameter. the ip's are so small, the wide angle lens (especially with an adapter ring) adds a lot of size and weight to the camera.
the ip's are 30mm filter diameter.
you might want to check out the diamond 0.3x, it comes in 30mm and 37mm, and its a lot smaller than most lenses. you can check it out at royal-lens.com
just another option for you, its a bit wider than a .45, but it can be zoomed in a bit, to be the same as a .45
cheers, good luck
max

Just so you all know as far as i know the sony ip5 and ip7 are not compatible with all the other sony cameras we have tried to fire wire to/from....for some reason sony DID NOT make them compatible in that way...........>:(...let me know if anyone else has found out anything different since we tried this summer/fall/....as far as i and many otheres are concerned this rules out these models for general skydiving use..although u can still put on hard drive etc...

John Maggio

Well, -technically- most digital video is compressed at least a small amount. For instance, Digital BetaCam is compressed about 2:1 and MiniDV is compressed about 5:1.

It's just that the compression of the MicroDV signal isn't compatable with the MiniDV that most of us are currently using and not compatable with most on the common desktop editing software either.

If a person decided to use the MicroDV format (IP series cameras) then he'd basically be an island unto himself and have a heck of a time dealing with most of the stuff most of the rest of us enjoy on a daily basis.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Quade, anybody else,

What would be required of a software publisher to make it possible to import and edit micro-MV footage? Is this a licensing issue for the codec involved? Would extra hardware be required? I look at the different formats that Final Cut Pro will handle and wonder...why not this one as well? Is it just a matter of time or is Sony trying to tie purchasers of these cameras to Sony computers which will edit the mmv footage?

Murray

Quade, anybody else,

What would be required of a software publisher to make it possible to import and edit micro-MV footage? Is this a licensing issue for the codec involved? Would extra hardware be required? I look at the different formats that Final Cut Pro will handle and wonder...why not this one as well? Is it just a matter of time or is Sony trying to tie purchasers of these cameras to Sony computers which will edit the mmv footage?

Murray

I didn't know this MicroDV issue, but I do know that Pinnacle licenced the MiniDV codec algorithm in the Sony hardware and made it available in software for true loss-less editing with their DV500 series of cards. Maybe Pinnacle have continued this relationship?
Rich M

Do you jump whit a IP-5?Where do you mount it?If i rember corect the REC button is on the rigth side on the camera,that will mean not posible to start/stop if you have a side mount,unless you also buy a cabel so you can activate it from another place.

About steprings,try Kenko.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

You are all correct to some degree if you wish to stick with old technology forever. I still have some old 78 RPM records and they aren't compatible with anything else that I own :)
Actually, if there is any quality loss at all, it is negligible. Sony says there is none. I download my shots to the computer and edit using Movieshaker that comes with the camera. You can then burn a DVD in the normal manner with a DVD burner and its software. Pinnacle seems to have their Studio 8 working with MicroMV now, if you have a fast computer and Windows XP (I do not). I can make stills from any frame and they look pretty good with Movieshaker. Some are posted on the Enclave.com photography pages.

I have no trouble reaching the record button, which is indeed on the less preferred side. The camera is compact, lightweight and does everything I want except firewire to/from a DV camera. It will firewire to other MicroMV units.

Check out this thread, and then do a search around that discussion group for other threads on the IP series cameras.

I looked at several discussion groups for video professionals, and the general consensus appears to be pretty negative on the Micro-MV cameras.

I'll see if I can dig up some of those links when I have a bit more time.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

My room mate has an IP5 and we are able to firewire them to his comp and edit them. It does take a trick or two to get it to work though. I still have not found a way to make the sound not come out choppy when you export it...

Matt

unless you also buy a cabel so you can activate it from another place.

IP5 isn't compatible with the cam-Eye's for remote activation.

Also the record button is right next to the zoom button so if your finger slips you could blow your whole shot.

And the mode switch on the back of the camera is now "soft"
you press it the same way to cycle through the modes, rather than the old system where UP is camera into a locked position and DOWN is VCR.

This is highly non ergonomic for skydiving operations where you have to throw the switch blind.

The position of the record button also eliminates the option of any type of Box Mount or integral helmet. Only L brackets.

New Technology should increase our options, not limit them.

Every time Sony comes out with something new they try to phase out the old. Like the way the batteries are incompatible between older PC models and newer ones.

Matt It seems that progress in hardware comes much quicker than in software. Pinnacle has had some serious problem with their Studio 8 with "all" cameras and that includes MicroMV. They are now reporting good results with Studio 8 and MicroMv if you have a high speed processor (about 2) and Windows XP.

Sony says a faster processor will eliminate choppy audio and video in their Movieshaker.

In reference to the post (apoil) about the zoom button on the IP-5. The problem is perceived and not real. Yep, it's close. Nope, never had a problem with any of the buttons.

See you this week-end. Ed

Beezy Shaw just sent me some video he took with his IP5 stuffed in a wrist-mount that I sewed for him.
GREAT!
By far the best coverage i have ever seen of tandem students.
My whuffo girlfriend even said she would pay extra for wrist-mounted video because it provides more than traditional outside video. Beezy edited his video on a lap top and burned it onto a CD.
Will have to ask him exactly which software he uses next time we chat.And yes, Beezy did mention that the record and zoom switches were too close together so I will have to update my patterns.

Beezy Shaw just sent me some video he took with his IP5

it provides more than traditional outside video.

I got to see some vid's from Beezy and was very impressed with the extra footage. Shots missed by a traditional camera guy such as the 'up close' exit and canopy ride only enhanced the students video. It was great to see and hear the tandem student under canopy. I think a mix of the two dubbed together would be the ultimate tandem video.

I believe Beezy was using diamond 0.3x and did encounter problems with the location of some of the needed buttons.