skydive4play

cobolt needs repair!!!

>:( I have a 135 that only has about 20 jumps on it. Back in Sept. 02 I had an accident and my canopy ended up with a rip on the top skin and on the rib of cell #5 I believe. Even though I am still recovering, I'd like to know who or where I can send this brand new canopy to. I have called Atair and they gave me the name of my local rigger, but he said that the repair is something that he doesn't have the equipment to repair it with. Any help would be appreciated greatly.
Lead Follow Or Get The Hell Out Of The Way!!!...

Does Paragear (or another top end rigging supply) carry the right kind of ZP for the Cobalt?

I never thought of that before, but owning a Heatwave, it'd be nice to know (since they both use a different kind of ZP then most of the other manufactures out there).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Does Paragear (or another top end rigging supply) carry the right kind of ZP for the Cobalt?

I never thought of that before, but owning a Heatwave, it'd be nice to know (since they both use a different kind of ZP then most of the other manufactures out there).

Oddly enough, I happened to have that page on Paragear's online catalog open (learning to sew, yippee). They list Zero Porosity Nylon Ripstop Fabric as, "Currently being used on most main canopies. i.e. Sabre, Stiletto, Safire, etc. Combination of 1.1 oz. fabric, zero porosity, highest tear-resistance, and lightest weight fabric (Soar Coat-) type material."

IANAR (I am not a rigger), but I would think that as long as the repair was fairly small, a different type of ZP would work acceptably. The bigger issue might be getting a good color match between different brands of fabric.

you send it to them and they fix it

As with most companies ;)

Yeah like Precision that sold a ton of bad reserves, and then asked the owner's to pay for the repair.
Good customer policy.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

general repairs and relines are performed by our authorized repair facility: pierre ponson rigging in suffolk virginia. if the repair is major i.e. replace a cell or two the repair is performed by our factory in europe.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

There are two types of ZP fabric: Gelvenor and everybody else's.
Gelvenor fabic is heavily calendarized with a bit of silicone to seal it, while other manufacutrers mainly depend upon silicone sealing. The end result is that Gelvenor fabric is less shiny, less slippery and easier to pack. Gelvenor fabric is used by Aerodyne and several other manufacturers. I am not sure which type of fabric Atair uses.
It would be okay to substitute either fabric for small patches.
The FAA expects all Senior Parachute Riggers to able to sew small patches on canopies as long as they do not involve seams. In practice, fewer than half the part-time riggers are current on canopy patches, so they wisely try to fob off difficult patches on full-time riggers. Full-time riggers usually go on to acquire Master Rigger ratings along with all the sewing machines and repair materials. Certainly any repair involving opening a seam should be sent to a Master Rigger.
While a Master Rigger may legally replace ribs and even entire cells, by that point it becomes more economical for the factory to do the repairs.

we use and are big fans of gelvenor.
note that it is a falacy that it is heavier. this notion was born out of a manufacturing error about 7 years ago by gelvenor that somehow made it past qc and into a bunch of triathalons. this was promtly corrected and the material is first rate with the lowest defect rate of any manufacturer. our direct experience with domestic material was an 18% defect rate and we were told that pd has had even higher reject rates with the material.

as far as major repairs as rob points out, they definately should be done at the factory. a qualified master rigger rarely sews canopies all day and as such on a time basis would not be as economical as a factory repair. additionally our canopies have specific pretensioning on tapes which would be difficult for an outside rigger to know about or perform.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

The roq mod that I developed for my 85 is similar to H-mod but the nose triangles is a bit more size than original H-mod. The point of the triangle attaching to the loaded ribs is close the bottom skin and top is a bit more large
In out cells the triangles are proportional this size
Normal it need a small slider for normal openning. With standard slider the openings have big snivel.
The canopy open, fly, swoop and flare great

roq

roq-mod1.jpg

I have called Atair and they gave me the name of my local rigger, but he said that the repair is something that he doesn't have the equipment to repair it with.

Dont your rigger have a sewingmashin?How can he then be a rigger?Here in DK our Riggers/masterriggers make that kind of job.We just order the material..And give the shit and mony to the rigger and get our loved cannopi back:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber