taz9420

Opinion: Best Overall Container (Durability/Comfort/Dependablity, Overall Appearance, etc...)

There are so many good rigs out there. Vector 3 Micron, Mirage G3 & G4, Javelin Odyssey, Wings, Teardrop Superfly, Atom Legend and Voodoo 2 are excellent. All of them are freefly friendly. All does have good and bad points but none are 100% perfect! Do some search posts - you'll find loads of information. Try those keywords:- container, micron, javelin etc...

For me, I'm looking into Wings and Micron. Wings's price is so cheap and excellent secure/safe for freeflying. Micron, it's quite a narrow rig and top quality and so secure for freeflying - it might be good for me because I have a small shoulder.

what for example makes mirage g4 not 100% perfect

Its ugly as sin. That might only be an opinion, though, I'm still checking.

I voted for Wings, thats what I have and I am very very happy with it. No complaints and I laugh everytime I think about how much I paid for it even with the options.

People will defend what ever rig they have and find reasons why it is the best, simply because it is theres.

Ask someone what their favorite rig is, its the one the just spend $1500 on...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Durability/Dependability - pretty much every container on the US market (I have no experience with non-US built gear). The only one I'd leave off that list is the Dolphin. No real reason other than personal preference.

Comfort - Infinity, Vector 3

Overall Appearance - Vector 3, Infinity

Price - Infinity, Wings

Delivery time - Infinity

Customer service from factory - Infinity, Wings, Vector 3, Voodoo, Talon3

Can't tell I love my Infinity, can ya? ;)

I prefer the Mirage. I think it's the best combination of everything we look for in a rig. My Vortex might more comfortable, the Reflex easier to pack, the lines on the teardrop are better. BUT it's the G-3 for the all-in-one do-it-all-well rig.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

I went through all this last year with my own rig. All set to buy a Wings and then I asked this experienced guy his opinion. He looks over at me and grunts "buy used". So I did. 1995 Javelin, good condition if a little sun faded. Love it. It's a great container. So it's a little older. Whatever. Got a beautiful second hand PD-170 in it. Will fit a zero-P 150. Perfect. It's safe and it's mine B|. And I didn't have to choose the colours. Hate doing that. I'm a guy, what do I know about color matching.

Gimme another couple of hundred jumps and then I'll know what I want new. And I won't have wasted any money on a new container that fitted the canopy I'm jumping now, but won't fit the canopy I'll be jumping two years from now.

Javelin & Mirage -tied for the best.

I'm only half way done with my rigger's studying and re-packing but I think the reflex is a weird design. Any design where an exposed pilot chute cap can start to come loose and needs re-tightening is questionable. People have had reserve rides from full altitude with all handles in place snagging the top on a 182 door. They're no good for Crew (think lines wrapping around pop-top) and I've seen several with main riser covers that won't stay shut (they're tiny).

I'm with you on the Mirage being ugly as sin - I'm pretty sure it's fact too. I'll check with the Pope next time we have drinks. But (and not to bash) I think Wings is ugly too. Uglier than Mirage. It may be just the one's I've seen. I just bought a new micron and I was worried because Vectors are not the prettiest either but I'm totally impressed by the way mine has turned out. I'll try to post some pics this weekend to prove I'm not just defending my purchase.

I bought the Micron because of it's size, construction, durability and the people behind the name. RWS uses the best materials on the market and even has exculsive deals with some suppliers. Other manufactuers (like Mirage) have to order through RWS or go with a lower quality product. Product testing and development are a major reason I bought them too. It's why I exclusivly fly PD too. They built it well. Test it. Sell it and continue to test it over and over. A tour of their factory made me a believer. Not to mention their innovations are on going. Sure Bill Booth came came up with the three-ring harness system, but they've done so much more. Reserve deployment system, riser protection, container construction. You should check out the pillow handles on a micron versus any other rig. They almost beg to be pulled. I like my rig so much that on my upcoming vacation to FL I'm going to pop into RWS and thank them for such an impressive job.

I hope I remember to post those pics...did I ramble here?

"Five days? But I'm angry now!"

Mirage G4...Thats what I have, so of course I'm gonna say that, especially after spending $2,000 on it.
I really like the design and I watch my rigger pack the reserve, and he does it so easily and perfect, then he gets a reflex and struggles with it for over an hour...I just feel more comfortable with a mirage. I like Vectors too....

Wow!

Reflex. I've had it for 5 years now. Very comfortable. Easy to pack and close. Flaps stay closed in Freeflying. Ridden my reserve once on it. Quick deployment. Reserve pin is protected by being on your back rather than traditionally on the back of the rig.***

Have you ever heard of James Martin, or Kate Folgers??

Wow!

Allow me to summarize this perennial debate. Everyone loves the rig they have right now. Most major gear manufacturers have given at least one person a bad experience. Riggers and other knowledgeable people still continue to disagree on the benefits and disadvantages of every manufacturer's distinctive approach. I have a Racer and have never had any problems with it. Next? ;)

Joe

I jump a Javelin... I am replacing it with something else very very soon (if the tax refund is enough).

I agree.. unless you tye-dye the whole thing a Mirage is ugly as sin, I dislike the look of fully exposed pop-tops, and Infinities make me want to run up and tell the person that their Javelin is packed wrong. I've packed Vector's and Wings (along with my rig and a bailout) and I could care less on the reserve packing. The Wings was comfy.. and priced WAY nice, allows for a massive range of canopies and they are set to release a new model at PIA this year. If I can come up with the money... its a Vector 3 Micron for reasons listed a few posts above. The V3 I've jumped (Big Air's demo rig) was'nt near sized for me and it was still more comfy then a few rigs I've jumped. I'm getting to the point where I won't be downsizing for seasons now so if a rig can hold 1 or 2 down thats enough for probally 4 years use...

If you just want comfort of the harness... look at a Racer. Hands down the most comfy rig I ever put on.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

... Infinities make me want to run up and tell the person that their Javelin is packed wrong. ...

Interesting. I mistake Javelins as Infinities with their reserve packed wrong ;) Of course, both the Infinity and the Javelin look like their parent: the Northern Lite III

Bob

>Mirage doesn't have pop tops.....

Nope, but Reflex's and Racers do, thats one reason I did'nt specifically mention them ;). As wel as Teardrops, but unless you are buddy buddy with TSE its way to costly to ship one over to jump it. And the SA Teardrop is illegal to jump inthe US unless you are a foriegner (I'm not sure the status of getting the TSO on this one, but as of 10/02 is was'nt had yet).

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

what for example makes mirage g4 not 100% perfect? Is there anything, except for the price ?

I know I am not alone when I say I think the split main d-bag is a major hassle. I understand why they did it, but I don't like packing it. for those that have not seen one, it has 5 grommets, which seems like it is just asking for a bag-lock.

I know I am not alone when I say I think the split main d-bag is a major hassle. I understand why they did it, but I don't like packing it.

Agreed. My older Vector III came with one and it was a pain, especially when putting a large canopy in. I eventually just had my rigger sew it closed.

what for example makes mirage g4 not 100% perfect? Is there anything, except for the price ?

Have they started making molar bags for it yet?

Yes,
"Inside the reserve, the G4 adds a Parapak molar bag for ease and consistency of packing. The G4 retains the well-respected Mirage reserve pilot chute."
Quote from Mirages website.