Fritte

Where can I buy an R.D.S?

Lookma make a great RDS. They have done a lot of testing on slider size in relation to opening characteristic on the velo. The release is a very simple single handle that makes removal and refit faster than other designs I have seen. Check out

www.lookma.de

Since you are jumping PD products it only makes sence to jump the only design tested and recommended for PD use.....PEA Engineering's RDS.
(AKA Scott's design) You may find some more inexpensive products available out there but one malfunction or damaged caused by other designs can cost you an entire canopy or obviously much more.

HOW MUCH IS YOUR LIFE REALLY WORTH?

You may find some more inexpensive products available out there but one malfunction or damaged caused by other designs can cost you an entire canopy or obviously much more.

HOW MUCH IS YOUR LIFE REALLY WORTH?

Beek, you really feel that other serious and proven designs, like MEL's, Kirk's and some others are more prone to malfunctions and/or damaging a canopy?

First, I would certainly say that the size, and dimensions of it are consistant with the proven slider tested for the canopy. Second, the design is without a doubt the best tested out of alll the products available. Lastly, I am NOT saying that other products are faulty, simply that for the Velocity canopy it makes sense to use the product which was designed directly for use with the Velocity. I would likely make the same comment regarding the Precision RDS is likely best for use on Precision canopies. You wouldn"t put a Honda engine in Corvette just because it was cheaper would you?

You wouldn"t put a Honda engine in Corvette just because it was cheaper would you?

if it did the same exact thing and had same horsepower and less fuel consumption? hmm, probably not, i'd just get the Honda ;)

Just want to be fair. I, as you and as most of us here, have seen most of the RDS's available to the general public as well as some experimental ones. I dont think there is anything safety wise that distinguishes PEA RDS from the rest of well known and established ones out there.

To use your car analogy, the myth of "I should only put the premium unleaded in my stock factory car even though the manual recommends 87" comes to mind. There is no need to put emphasis on "how much is your life worth" when it comes to recommending a good solid RDS, as it might make newer jumpers think that anything else is "unsafe", which, of course is not your intention and is not true.

I'd like someone to tell me why they think the PEA sliders are better that Para Concept's.

I can see one lesser quality feature just by looking at the pictures - the rings.

Kirk was using the thinner stainless steel rings like PEA appearantly is using and searched long an hard for a better solution. He came up with the alloy version that was released last season. I have probably 400 or so jumps on each style of ring and the new ones are definitely better... Mainle because they're lighter and thicker.

Why is thicker better? -- Less line wear. I'm probably going to get 50% more jumps out of a set of 350 HMAs just because of the new rings.

Kirk overengineers everything and really put a lot of thought and research into this. The rings are machined in Germany and then spend a crazy amount of hours in a tumbler in his loft working out ANY edges.

IMO, it's doubtful that there's a better RDS out there.

General note to folks. MOST (not all), RDS available today are of good quality. I've also seen some REALLY sketchy stuff - but it's few and far between.

Lets not turn this into an 'rds' war - there's plenty of good ones out there.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I'd like someone to tell me why they think the PEA sliders are better that Para Concept's.

I can see one lesser quality feature just by looking at the pictures - the rings.

Kirk was using the thinner stainless steel rings like PEA appearantly is using and searched long an hard for a better solution. He came up with the alloy version that was released last season. I have probably 400 or so jumps on each style of ring and the new ones are definitely better... Mainle because they're lighter and thicker.

Why is thicker better? -- Less line wear. I'm probably going to get 50% more jumps out of a set of 350 HMAs just because of the new rings.

Kirk overengineers everything and really put a lot of thought and research into this. The rings are machined in Germany and then spend a crazy amount of hours in a tumbler in his loft working out ANY edges.

IMO, it's doubtful that there's a better RDS out there.

I seem to remember someone talking about alloy rings. alloy is softer than steel, and there was instances of where the lines burned through the ring and caused rough edges in them.

this is just off the top of my memory, from speaking to people, I have no idea where I remember it from.

anyone heard this?

That is quite possible, but I must remind you that "alloy" is a very ambiguous term.

There are alloys that are softer than steel (aluminum alloys), but there are also alloys much harder than steel (titanium alloys).

So depending on the material it was made out of, it could have been softer than steel.

According to your description Kirk´s RDS is interesting me seriously. Is it a one-handle system?
Would anyone be kind and post some pics and contact info.

Here's the Para Concepts RDS for a JVX. The JVX requires the flaps on the sides of the slider. One for a Velocity or other canopy wont have those. The full RDS is a little bit of an older picture when I had the stainless rings on it. The new alloy rings are shown in the other pic.

That is quite possible, but I must remind you that "alloy" is a very ambiguous term.

Totally right, but these rings from Para Concepts look like aluminium.

Not sure if this is really the best choice.
Over hundreds of openings aluminium will probably suffer from little abrasion.

Any experiance, or are they to new to say for shure?

(Cucina switched the other way round and uses steel now because of wear on the aluminium rings. When I remember right)