slyder2412

Scared of breaking a steering line

Hello fellow skydivers, i'm brand new to this website and decided i should ask this question. I've been reading some about canopy control and what not, been told by my instructors to really "yank that fucker down" and see what kind of turns i can produce.

I read somewhere just now saying "most skydivers see the canopy as just a means to get down on to the ground" and that is definitely me, but i want to change as i'm sure having confidence in all aspects of skydiving will enhance my experience/lifespan.

I have a fear of breaking a steering line when i'm pulling down on my toggle(s) to induce a turn/flare. All my turns probably don't pass my shoulders....but i've been told to bring that shit down to my WAIST, shit.

Any thoughts on this? The way i've been thinking is, if my canopy opens up well, why fuck around with it? Is it possible to break a line by pulling down too hard? Or any other mal that can occur? Thank you very much for reading!

You might not want to "yank that fucker down".
That can cuase your canopy to go into a diving line twist! How far you pull it down does not matter as much as long as you are higher. Slow and smooth toggle input is ideal. Slow up and down, no yanking!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Do you also flare till you reach shoulder height? If you use a full flare you can also turn using full steering input!!!!

The time will come that you need to avoid another parachute flying towards you. Pulling your steering line till shoulder height could get you killed then. You need to know how to fly your parachute. Using full toggle input is one them. Not listening to your instructors is not a good idea....just do it!!!!

Inducing line twist happens with smaller parachutes and alternating turns right and left very quickly and aggresively. Don't worry about that just yet as you have (at least I hope so) a big and forgiving canopy :)
Pulling a single toggle from full normal flight quickly won't do anything dangerous but just turn. Let them up again and it will fly straight.

Listen to your instructors and experiment a little bit (at altitude).

Freefall is boring..canopy time is much more fun :)

Have you trusted your instructors so far? Why would they have you do something that could break your gear?

The control lines on your canopy are the same or stronger lines than the suspension lines. Ask what kind of line it is. Get the local rigger to explain it for to you. Look at the different kind of line material at the DZ. Get an explanation, in person, of the differences.

Go ahead and continue to trust your local instructors. Random people on the internet won't be able to help you like they can. In fact, random people on the internet may give you wrong and/or dangerous information.

So take a deep breath, go back out to the DZ and chat with your instructors and a local rigger.:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What Aggie dave said!!!

If you think something is wrong have a rigger or experience jumper who has been in the sport for years look at it. If a piece of gear seems wore talk to the rigger about getting it fixed/replaced.

then there is no worry, your gear is maintained and in good shape.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

IMO, it would be important for to understand how you would need to react in this kind of situation.

After you have a pre planned your action in this kind of situation you will be more relaxed about it.

I agree with everyone that it is very unlikely that you might break a steering line just by "yanking it" in flight. However, I dont think the only appropriate answer to this question is to just ignore it since it is so unlikely.

therefore:

Talk with your instructors about what you should do if this ever occurs. After you have this figured out, you most likely will be more confident about your skills and you wont be so scared about it.

Let your instructor explain you what it means to land with rear risers, and how/when you could try this in real life.

I do the "yank to your waist/or as much as you can" thing all the time with my 195 Falcon. I used to do the same with 190 Briz (a copy of Spectre), I loved those spyrals, same with my front risers yank em down instantly and hold doing 3-4 spirals no problem...

Don't know how smaller canopies would perform though :P

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

I do the "yank to your waist/or as much as you can" thing all the time with my 195 Falcon. I used to do the same with 190 Briz (a copy of Spectre), I loved those spyrals, same with my front risers yank em down instantly and hold doing 3-4 spirals no problem...

Don't know how smaller canopies would perform though :P

I would STRONGLY advise AGAINST just yanking a control down. It's very easy to put yourself in linetwists regardless of the canopy size. It's a bad habit, and it's killed people who inadvertantly caused diving line twists too low to the ground.

Smooth input will allow tension to remain on the lines and still allow the pilot to get the toggle down to their waist to get a fast turn.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I have a fear of breaking a steering line when i'm pulling down on my toggle(s) to induce a turn/flare.

How about just facing your fears? I got 4 lines broken on one opening. It was a rented/demo gear with old and dirty lines. You should turn your rigger, who has assembled and checked your gear and packed your reserve. You can even ask someone more experienced if you notice something unusual.
Know you gear, that your insurance and remember every pack is a check.

Ditto:ph34r:. I'm a pretty big ole boy, and I'm lucky to get 360 on a front b4 the toggle pressure gets to be too great on my sabre 190. Guess I'm just a pussy;)

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

You should go with your gut and inspect your steering lines regularly if that is a concern for you, ask someone what to look for. A close friend of mine broke a steering line during his flare and subsequently broke his femur. The more you take care of your gear the more it will take care of you!
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

I don't think that anyone has mentioned it here yet ... But snapping a Break Lines is NOT the END of your world.

You don't NEED your steering lines... you CAN steer & flare with Rear Risers (Get some instruction on this first, practice high , yada yada yada)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Rather then trusting advice of people on the internet I'd suggest educating yourself to know why people here say "dont worry about breaking a steering line if it's in good condition". Do some research about your gear in general. In this case about the strength of various line types and what their names (Vectran 700, for example) mean. Hint: that'll give you an idea of how much force you'd have to put on it to have a chance of breaking a fresh steering line.

Trusting your instructor? In certain things, yes of course. And even then, not blindly. And only if you dont want to trust yourself and find it easier to trust someone else. Just like opening the door and jumping out without looking down first when the green light comes on ;)

But snapping a Break Lines is NOT the END of your world.
yada yada yada)

Please take caution in giving advance piloting advice at your level of experience to another student skydiver. For someone with so few jumps, trying to land a canopy on rears after snapping a steering line just might end their world.

Fair comment

But :- I did give the advice with caution.

(Get some instruction on this first, practice high , yada yada yada)

You don't know what my level of experience is (only my jump numbers) - I've been flying canopies for over 17 years!

(.)Y(.)

and now people will wonder why you only got 286 jumps in 17 years....;)

Have to agree with frost though. Jumpers with only 20 jumps, not comfortable with toggle input, shouldn't be even thinking about rear risers landings.

aye and I said that he made a fair comment, with a qualified - get instruction. It's clearly the right thing to do... with appropriate knowledge don't you think?

P.S I also fly paragliders, solo , Tandem and Speed Gliders

(.)Y(.)