islandboyflyrz

120 Velo

Bored of a 135 Katana.....
I've been jumping a CF2 for four years now and fortunately for me i'm far from bored with it.
Do what you like,but make sure you don,t make that Velo look like a 280 Navigator flown by a first time student like a lot of kudos Velo "pilots" do;)

.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

If you're bored with a at your wingloading Katana 135 then you're definately not flying it correctly. You're also not going to be happy with a Velo 120. You have a maximum of 200 jumps on the katana? Yup, 200 jumps, you sure know how to max out a canopy.

When everyone on your DZ tells you NO asking here doesn't help.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

lol, deja vu.

Is anyone keeping count of how many times someone with barely marginal experience shows up here and asks something like this? Then the same iteration takes place. People say pretty much the same thing in different ways... The guy says he's been a quick learner, raced motorcycles all his life, studied martial arts, in tune with his body (pick the right option)... Some more clever replies from people... The guy gets annoyed that he does not hear what he wants to hear... Boring!

Don't feed the troll!
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

Hi a Velo is very ground hungry and it is a bunch of steps up from where your at as in experience. Just the other day a swooper at deland had, from what I understand , a perfect run at the gates then his hand placement on his riser sliped or a toggle slip, from what people say, and he carved right into the ground and died.

The velo isnt a Katana. As far as corssbraced go i have jumped the velocity, fx, xaos 27 and xaos 21. the velo was the most hand ful of them all.

I mean your going to trade in your katana for a velo and on windy days and other conditions its such a different canopy margin of error so much less.

I want to go crossbraced one day too but right now i am stuck on the crossfire2 till i fly the heck out of it then i will hopefully down size and down size, till maybe i get a crossbraced.

If you have a Katana 135 cant you go down to like a katana 105 or something. i think that would be a better bridge before going to crossbraced.

I think that katana's and Crossfire2's are the fastest non-crossbraced canopies but I am not sure of the Blade. I was told by a CPC Swooper that the Blade is a great transitional Canopy.

I would say go smartly, get some caoching and good evaluation, down size to a smaller katana if the wing loading doesnt exceed the limits for it, find out about the blade also.

I think the last thing you want to do is get a Crossbraced until you have completly used up all your transitional options and completed and conquered each transitional step option. Then when over 1000 jumps and you have nothing left to down size into then i say go crossbraced. thats assuming your flying the heck out of everrything.

Your a fast learner so you would do well i am a very slow learner myself. See then you will have the 1000 jump range and you will be so much better then you are now and so much more ready.

just my opinion. they say crossbraced is like dating a stripper, it may be worst then that.

Chris

>I Currently Jump A 135 Katana & I'm Bored Of It ! Plz Help Me Any1 !

Canopy control courses are your friend! Learn to fly that Katana and you'll have loads of fun with it. You'll plane out farther, go faster, have more control - and more importantly you'll be safer doing it.

Ok, i've been trying to find the time to respond to this post and i finally have it.

First up: you must be loading your Katana at what, 1.9 at least? That's already on the high side of the recommended WL vs Jump Numbers table, but that's cool, i load my Hurricane 120 around the same and i've been jumping mine since 700 jumps or so, maybe a little less.

But let's put the issue of danger, high wing loadings and x-brace canopies aside for a while and let's talk canopy piloting. I've heard a mentor of mine say countless times: it's not the arrow, it's the indian.

And believe me bro, I found this out a few months ago when we went into Intermediate CP Nationals here in South Africa. On the day i arrived i heard that there were two guys with way more jumps than me jumping X-braces in our division and i was concerned with this: X-braces go further, yackity shmakity.

But when it came down to it, the fact that they were on X-braces didn't help them make the gates every round and i ended doing better than them overall because of this.

It's not the arrow, it's the indian.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that going to a xbrace before you have wrung every ounce of performance out of your Katana is for vanity and nothing more. If you're doing 90's, 180's, 270's through gates consistently over land and water every time, then "maybe" you should think about going to a x-brace.

Are you doing that? I know that at 600 jumps i sure wasn't. And here at just shy of 800 i'm nowhere near perfecting 270's yet. In fact i'm only just starting to do them now with a coach.

But just for the hell of it, let's talk danger. I've jumped a 120 Velocity a few times and apart from it's responsiveness it wasn't much faster than my hurricane because it was the same size and loading as my canopy. However, recently i jumped a Velo 103 loaded to between 2.1 and 2.3 and dude, it was scary how fast that thing goes. Both in the sky and when coming in to land. When i popped the toggles it felt like i was back into freefall!

I can now see how much of a step it is going between a 9 cell and a x-brace and going from 1.9 to ballistic wingloads. And i like to think of myself as a fast learner too. In fact i don't doubt that i could land that canopy safely on a number of jumps, but the reason i haven't gone and put it in my rig and jumped it as an everyday canopy is that there's without a doubt gonna be that one load where you land out, or someone cuts you off on finals and you either panick or bury a toggle and then shit is gonna be ugly. And I've broken bones once already and that sucks, bad.

So i guess what i'm saying is think about sticking with your KA, get some coaching and really learn it before you switch.

Hope i didn't ramble too much and i hope this helped.

Take it easy.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I am not trying to be an asshole. It's just hard to not say something when you see someone walking down a path that leads to bad things. I know you think you can handle anything. You probably are a fast learner. It only takes one mistake to fuck up the rest of your life. If you are not making mistakes then you are not learning anything. It's better to make mistakes on a more forgiving canopy.

Thanks to eveyone for your thoughts (even the assholes ) .

the only asshole here would be a guy with 600 jumps loading a cross braced canopy at 2.1. And since it's a 120 then it would be a pretty BIG asshole. But there is nobody here like that, since:

i'ma stay on my 135 katana and put a years worth of jumps in and then demo a 120 velo !

Good decision. very good.

The only assholes are guys that talk shit on these forums about people they don't even know , u don't know me 2 judge me & my potential , if u read my 1st post correctly i said " I'm looking 4 some ADVICE & that i was looking into a velo 120 " thats all i said , i just wanted some advice from pro's & people with experience ! i'm not gonna get a velo or anything smaller . all i wanted was help & if i'm correct these forums are here 2 help people . so frost & beowolf keep ur sarcasm's to yourselves , next time give good advice & not bring people down !

Thats cool dude....like you said tho your swoop mentors that know you are definately the best guys to ask advice from...select your mentors wisely tho....i'm very fortunate that nearly all my mentors compete on the world stage and a good mentor doesn't always tell you what you want to hear. Safe swoops Trig;)

.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

120?! shit with your numbers you should at least get a sub 100. Say maybe a 55 sqft canopy. Yeah that sounds good. It's a good thing you are a fast learner because it's a fast canopy.

A good canopy pilot does not become tense but ready. Not thinking, yet not dreaming, ready for whatever may come. A canopy pilot has to take responsibility for himself and face the consequences of his own doing. To have no technique, to have no opponent, because the word "I" does not exist. When the opponent expands I contract and when he contracts, I expand. And when there is an opportunity, "I" do not swoop, "It" swoops all by itself.

Rain-man

The only way that bullshit is OK is if you actually are the Rain Man (as in autistic).

Otherwise, you need to put the pipe down for a minute or two.

You know in an intelligent rational world what would be nice to see? something like this....

"Ok so you are saying you are bored on a Katana 135..and you looking into a Velo 120? right....given the info about yourself (600 jumps + wingloading) you havent given enough info for us to understand your position... How about telling us more about yourself first

1) How long you have jumped
2) Where you normally jump
3) DZ elavation
4) pressure/temp generally
5) How current and often you jump
6)Canopy progression
7) Any canopy coaching
8)What sort of skydives you normally do (bird suit + freefly + tracking+ camera...they all have implictions on canopy selection)
9) What sort of skydives you want to do going forward
10) How tight DZ is...
11) Whats the traffic like on a normal jump
12) What sort of landing approach is practised normally
13) Whats your summation of all these things in your own mind?

Most importantly..can you film several of your landing and post them here for us to have a look at"

I dont see how all you jokers can just see a jump number or a wing loading and then get an immediate erection for someone...I mean god damn, without asking the questions i suggested ..how can you honestly have an opinion on how he is going to fly in the future...when you do dont know shit about anything..let alone how they are flying now.

Note ... most self respecting world renowned canopy pilots would not answer a question like "do you think i can fly this canopy" with a yes or no..otherwise they end being like some clowns who have answered here...and you know one thing for sure...if you get too many clowns in one place..you end up with a circus.

Rain-man

Perhaps folks can just research their question rather than asking the same old question.......over and over again. What you have outlined has been covered many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many,many times.

It starts sounding like.......okay I've read your responses to everyone else..........BUT I'm SPECIAL...........What about me, will you endorse me?.......I'm a fast learner......I'm better than everyone else you have responded to before.

If folks want advise perhaps they should take the time to research their question before posting. They're either being lazy or think they are better than others and want special consideration.

Perhaps folks can just research their question rather than asking the same old question.......over and over again. What you have outlined has been covered many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many,many times.

So ask them again. Thats not very responsible. If you are a parent and your child comes home saying "i have a head ache" do you just assume remedies without finding out more information? You should and can only conclude that situations are the same after asking all necessary questions. Dont cut corners.

It starts sounding like.......okay I've read your responses to everyone else..........BUT I'm SPECIAL...........What about me, will you endorse me?.......I'm a fast learner......I'm better than everyone else you have responded to before.

If everyone was the same we would all be world champions do you think?..and you wouldnt have had a Brit with 400 jumps break the European Head Down record twice this week.

If folks want advise perhaps they should take the time to research their question before posting. They're either being lazy or think they are better than others and want special consideration.

By opening your mouth to give advise you are implying you are better at something. Its up to you to ask what you need to ask to give the answer that doesnt make you look foolish.

A wise man can learn more from a "foolish" questions than a fool can learn from a "wise" answer

but and the end of the day ....There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Wow..........You've taught me my lesson. I'll yield to your overwhelming wisdom.

Look his initial post came across a little cocky. Allot of the folks on this Forum are competitors or highly experienced. Yes it can be concluded based on jump numbers and wing loading alone he is not ready for a cross braced canopy. Nor has he come close to tapping into the Katana 135 he currently jumps.

And I believe everyone who has responded has either seen enough injuries or fatalities, that match this guys description, that they are sick of this attitude. Some have even had the injuries themselves and remember when they had the same attitude.

A simple search for the following would have easily answered his question:

1.) Velocity
2.) Down Sizing
3.) Katana Vs Velocity
4.) Switching to Cross Braced

I think the fact that he has only 600 jumps and stated he was bored with an aggressive canopy like a Katana is what put people off. It put me off.