islandboyflyrz

120 Velo

I'm currently bored with my Manta and want a little fun.

So I'm borrowing my friends 87 sqft something-or-other.

Fly with a chest mounted and a helmet camera. Record your last words and your impact so they can play it at your funeral. :|
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Allright OK people... This dude is going down the fucked up path and it is fun to bag on people (trust me I love doing it more than anyone else) but let's tell the dude some good information like how much this canopy will dive out compared to others and what he can do to prevent those off heading openings that spin up like the video he posted.

The velo is a different canopy than any other canopy on the market. It is even different than any CB canopy made! I have not jumped a 120 but that is a pretty big CB wing. Unless you are a fat kid (fatter than most of the fat bastards on here) you will not find it to be a very responsive canopy. It will probably have a slower turn rate and will be defficult to get back from a long spot compared to an equivelantly sized and loaded 9 cell. This canopy will dive faster and furthen for a given amount of input compared to any other canopy out there. Be ready for that so no low turns and I mean it! This canopy will have an amazing amount of lift when you hang in deep brakes but do not expect a lot of fwd speed in deep brakes. Rear's will give you a little less lift but you will have the fwd speed. Full flight is more of a controlled free fall on the velocity. It will require a big area to shut down even in a full flight approach. A front riser turn to approach will result in very powerfull swoops but do not expect this canopy to recover like a stilletto or sabre 2. After a front riser turn it will still sink out and has very little self recovery. If you did nothing (no flare) you would probably die. Have fun be carefull don't fly into the earth at a high rate of speed. That is about the best advise I can give you.

I cleared from the Billy shouse at the ranch to the ditch on a straight in approach on a velo 103

it does take a lot of room to land

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I have not jumped a 120 but that is a pretty big CB wing. Unless you are a fat kid (fatter than most of the fat bastards on here) you will not find it to be a very responsive canopy.

That brings a smirk to my face and a tear to my eye that you would love on me like that. If you don't believe the 120 will flat out fly its balls off you can borrow mine in Colorado in a few more weeks.:D You might need to weight your skinny white ass up though, if you want to be out the door like a beer drinking and pizza eating man!

:D

Beyond loading the canopy up like some of us fatboys can, the 120, even though its a "big" canopy is still a no-shit HP wing that dives out of the sky faster then small chicks in freefall.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Probably not the best canopy choice for a 4-way camera flier ... but come on now ...

I know plenty of 4-way camera flyers that jump crossbraces without issue. I've had one chop during a training jump. If the guy in the video had been a) more over the top, and b) had waited until the team had started tracking, then he'd have had plenty of room to have a mal.

As it was, he was off to the side and deployed before the jumpers started tracking, contributing to the lack of separation. I'd also be curious as to how far the 4-way jumpers actually tracked.

I'll add that that looked like a very fixble situation right out of the bag......
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'll add that that looked like a very fixble situation right out of the bag......

That was just some line twists, and if you hang there like a rag doll and watch it spin, you have to chop. If you recall your FJC, spread the risers and kick out of the twists, you get to swoop your Velo.

Also, as far as the OP of this thread goes, I just looked at the new Parachutist (and judging by the cover, they have a chick doing the graphic design now, and it looks great). Anyway, I thought it was relevant that the two fatalities, and one non-fatal incident were all guys on canopies loaded at 1.5 or less.

I'm not sure if any of them wree trying to swoop, or simply made errors in trying to land but it clearly shows that a mistake on the jumpers part can kill you with even a moderately loaded, non high-performance canopy.

Full flight is more of a controlled free fall on the velocity.

Nice post. Nice quote.

seriously my 103 yesterday put my neptune back into freefall mode in full flight...

refuckigndiculous...

Dave

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Full flight is more of a controlled free fall on the velocity.

Nice post. Nice quote.

seriously my 103 yesterday put my neptune back into freefall mode in full flight...

refuckigndiculous...

Dave

I'll never forget the first time i popped the toggles on my 103, the only way i could describe it when back on the ground was that it felt like i was going back into freefall. :S:D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I think it was cause I was the only outside of the helicopter spinning up at the other end of the dropzone in the sky...

so when I popped my brakes I didnt immediately go into proactive flying mode...I just started setting up for my swoop

It was kinda nice being all alone except or the helicopter that swooped the end of my swoop

(working on footage)

Dave

That will be entirely enough out of you Armstrong!!!! Are you coming to colorado in Aug? I'm really looking forward to seeing all of the people in person in Aug and drinking a beer or three with them. I know Ian is coming and I think Paul is coming too. I am really looking forward to meeting Aggie Dave in person. It would be good to see you too Steve. I'm not going to compete in the CPC but just the PST. I will stay on the side lines and "Coach" people with the loudener. Ian likes it if you "coach" him with the megaphone while he packs.:ph34r:

Are you coming to colorado in Aug?

I'm still on the fence. [:/]

I know from some recent local jumps (at 3000 feet MSL) that I have not lost my spider senses in terms of being dangerous and I can still make the gates. But I am not jumping enough to be good at things like freestyle (LMAO ... like I was ever good at freestyle to begin with) and when I think of the pro-am I pitty the poor person who would be teamed up with me. I wonder if Jim would let me compete in both comps (being a guest or something in the CPC where my final standings doesn't effect the other CPCers).

I am really looking forward to meeting Aggie Dave in person.

Yeah I met Dave some 4 1/2 years ago. It would be cool to see him again.

I know Ian is coming and I think Paul is coming too

You need to deport those South Africans. Didn't you know they are terrorist threats just like us Canucks. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I totally have to throw this in here cause it might be valid...

I have a velo 103 loaded at 2.1

I bounced of the pond at the ranch yesterday and created a 50 ft tsunami from my fat ass colliding with the water...

I am a bit bruised up but let me tell you these canopies can get away from you if you get lose focus for a millisecond man...

Cheers

Dave