sundevil777

Why have 2 audible mounts on a helmet?

I saw a helmet ad showing that it was designed to allow 2 audibles (had a pro track and pro dytter).

Why?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Surprisingly it's so you can mount 2 audibles ;) I'd like to get a 2nd (currently have a pro track), but I'm always very aware of my altitude, so it's not a necessity.

-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

i know that in some of the old freefly comps (i'm not sure if this is still the case) you had to have 2 audibles on top of your visual. and you also had to have a cypress.

i met a certain persor that was in the comps, and one of his rigs didn't have a cypress, so if the little cypress window on his mirage, he had a cypres sticker. and he was able to compete:S looks like someone should of been looking at the gear a little closer:P when i first saw it though i thought there really was a cypress in there, until i looked a little closer.

later

Wouldn't it be distracting to have the tones going off at slightly different altitudes?

Even if they were just a fraction of a second apart, it might make for a strange combination (construcive/destructive interference and what not)

Maybe if you had it happen just right, it would cancel out and there would be no sound!

Seriously, isn't the repeated, mixed tones distracting?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Wouldn't it be distracting to have the tones going off at slightly different altitudes?

That's kind of the point.;)

Now, on to the other person who asked why have two, there were some really great answers.

Here's another tip: Use two different models (preferably different brands) if possible. If something falses / fails to trip one of them, the other should hopefully still work.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I have a Pro-track in one ear and a Pro-dytter in the other. I also have a wrist mount altimeter. I want the entire universe to break me out of my reverie when it is time. I have seen (and jumped with) national champions who ignored audibles and kept on skydiving.

ps - I love the comment in response to the "distracting?" Yup, distraction is goooood sometimes.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

"Wouldn't it be distracting to have the tones going off at slightly different altitudes?
Even if they were just a fraction of a second apart, it might make for a strange combination (construcive/destructive interference and what not)"

Why have 2? because there is no room for a third!

The pingley peeps don't 'cancel each other out' Anti noise is very twitchy to set up.
I don't set them for the same altitude, why have two alarm clocks set for the same time? I set mine 500 feet apart.
"Seriously, isn't the repeated, mixed tones distracting"
Seriously, thats the whole point of an audible warning device, they are not altimeters, they are alarms, designed to distract you.

Batteries can die, but the device should warn of its imminent failure on aircraft take off......The pressure sensing port can get blocked, thats why I have 2
Okay, I have some bad habits from my camera flying days, I seldom look at my alti in freefall...shock, horror, gasp, cries of 'heretic, burn him'......So to mitigate this, I rely heavily on my audibles......2 audibles are 4 times more reliable than 1, 3 would be nine times more reliable......
I have a spare one in my rig bag too, along with a set of spare cells for them all.......

Besides, I won a protrack in a raffle, which helps a lot!
I'm not advocating that everybody should jump two audibles, but for the price of 5-6 jumps, you can get a Timeout as a back up...how much is your peace of mind worth?
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I don't set them for the same altitude, why have two alarm clocks set for the same time? I set mine 500 feet apart.

i tried that when i got my second audible, too many beeps....i jump them set at the same alititudes now..... you get 3 warnings and you know where you are during each one, and if one of the audible fails you will still be getting the warning from the second audible at the altitude you expect it.....my $0.02

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Okay, I have some bad habits from my camera flying days, I seldom look at my alti in freefall...shock, horror, gasp, cries of 'heretic, burn him'......So to mitigate this, I rely heavily on my audibles

don't you ever just look down???

i have 1 audible, and 1 altimeter. i don't rely on either one. my audible's batteries could die, and my altimeter could brake, so i jus look down. i used to look at my altimeter a lot. but now i just look down, and i usually am right on on my altitude.

like a couple of weeks ago, i had my audible in my pocket, and my alitmeter got riped off. well i just went on with the jump, and when i got down guessed the altitude that i pulled at, and i was about 200 feet off (i have a protrack). i guessed 3000 ft, and it said 3200

so what i'm getting to is don't rely so much on things that may fail

later

"don't you ever just look down"
Hell no, I'm so scared I keep my eyes shut....:P

Och aye, but here in the UK we get to jump thru cloud.....In fact we have to, often!...B| Looking down doesn't help a whole lot....
Besides, when you have my fallrate, you spend a lot of time looking up.:$B|

But yeah, point taken, I regularly use my god given stereoscopic depth determination devices (my peepers) all the time. I should have mentioned that....You are of course correct Kelly.

But then again, if I lose my goggles, and my glasses in some aerial wrassling, I'm stuffed....B|[:/]

I suppose the real reason I use multiple audibles is because I already have them....Over the past 9 years or so, I have acquired 1 original style dytter, 3 timeouts, 2 protracks, and 1 prodytter. Some of these I have passed on to friends, some have been lost to riser strike, so currently I use a combination of 2 from 4, between my 2 camera helmets, and 2 fun jumping helmets.

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Och aye, but here in the UK we get to jump thru cloud.....In fact we have to, often!... Looking down doesn't help a whole lot....
Besides, when you have my fallrate, you spend a lot of time looking up.

i can understand if you are jumping through clouds all the time, but you still shouldn't depend on it.;)

and i'm not implying at all that (just to make sure everyone knows that i'm not against altimeters) you shouldn't jump with an audible, or a visual, i'm just saying don't count on it working.

like i said, i have an audible, and visual, and also have another in my camera helmet, but there just there because they are a back up,

just my $.02

later

"there just there because they are a back up, "

100% with you Kelly, its just that I know I don't check my alti as often as I should. I have bad habits but I'm not in denial about them...
"just my $.02"
Don't undersell yourself...:)

--------------------

2 pro track or skytronic are a rule for fast dive competitions (is that how tis called?).

2 Pro Tracks for Speed Skydiving http://www.speedskydiving.net

that's different. two official protracks are placed on harness webbing and results are averaged
between two of them. having another two audibles in helmet makes a lot of sence too :)

i have 2 prodytters in my z1 and one protrack on my harness.

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Bringing back the dead...

If I went out today and bought two brand new Pro-Tracks... what are the chances the batteries in each unit would die at eactly the same time? :o

even if they do, they will warn you a week prior to that. keep the spare battaries in your gear bag
and replace dead once after the jump when your dytter(s) start complaining :), not in couple of
days.

i think that every battery is different, so chances are that 2 units would die at eactly the same time
are not extremely high. again even if they do, it's not biggie.

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

My low battery warning on my Pro Dytter went off first in early January. It's still wailing away trying to warn me, 7 months and 250+ dives later. Can't help but think it's a little paranoid...

t

wow

--
Speed Skydiving Forum