sundevil777

Why have 2 audible mounts on a helmet?

wow

And it went off after 54 jumps. So over 300 in total.
Perhaps I've discovered a perpetual power source!

t

are you sure you don't just hear things ? :ph34r:

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Quite sure.

The whole load looks at me in glee each time my low battery warning goes off at 1000ft AGL and I give this shocked look.

Some people think it's irresponsible. Usually, they're the same people who say you shouldn't rely on your audiable. I can assure you - I don't!

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Some people think it's irresponsible. Usually, they're the same people who say you shouldn't rely on your audiable. I can assure you - I don't!

t

i totally rely on my audiables :) my hearing is as much my sence as my sight and i don't see
many reasons to rely on one and not on another :) but mostly i don't have any choice -it's
hard to see altimiter (i don't wear actually one) during speed dives. and i also look at the
ground all the time.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Speed skydiving.... right.

What's your exit altitude? At what point are you measured? At what height do you start to flare out?

It's just a matter of time before someone wants to try this on my DZ. Best to know as much as I can about it whan that happens not to be an asshole.

Is there a site I can go to to learn more?

t
It's the year of the Pig.

like everybody says, to have 2 audibles
I know people who jump with 3... and with wisual reference (a LED connected to the audible) too(speed skydivers)when they go low, the helmet turns into a discotheque... only the multi mirror ball and the smoke are still to be added... ;)
sometimes you may not hear it, so 6 alarms instead of 3 might help...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

> What's your exit altitude?

usuall. for competition i should be higher then 13000 (or you can rejump) but not higher
then 14000.

> At what point are you measured?

from like 8500 till 5500 ft. it's more round numbers in meters. 1 vertical km.

> At what height do you start to flare out?

i have my audiables set to 5000, 3500 and 1500. i flare at 5000, slow down for about
10 seconds (?) and pull almost immidiately after i hear second beeps. i opened around
2500. all my openings are pretty much at ~150 mph speed. but since i'm falt at that
time it's not biggie (well, for me, canopy takes all the beating). and it opens actually
slower and softer - slider stays put till i slow down to regular opening speed and at that
moment i'm already vertical.

> Is there a site I can go to to learn more?

speedskydving.com - Ken's web site. it's gonna be updated every day starting monday.
probably good place to start. http://speedskydiving.proboards19.com/index.cgi - newly
organized forums. we're gonna discuss rules for next year competition pretty soon there.
you're welcome to join.

Stan.

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

This sounds really attractive to me (speed), one day when I have more experience of course... I could see myself getting really into it. Wouldn't even know how to try now. Should probably learn FF head down first. Hell, should probably learn RW first. :S
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

This sounds really attractive to me (speed), one day when I have more experience of course... I could see myself getting really into it. Wouldn't even know how to try now. Should probably learn FF head down first. Hell, should probably learn RW first. :S

it's very addictive :) and i can't really do regular FF HD :)

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

it's very addictive :) and i can't really do regular FF HD :)

Weird. How many jumps do you recommend to have before trying? And how do I go about learning? I just assumed you would start off in FF HD and slowly streamline yourself. Or do you start in belly track and work yourself into a steeper angle? I looked through that site you linked to and couldn't find a lot of technical info about it or how to learn it... I found one small section written in poor English that was talking about a "tube" effect and said something about how falling out of the tube (losing your stability) would cause violent corking out, and the air is very "hard" at these speeds... does that mean you can actually injure yourself on the air just from corking out improperly? I've heard of people exiting jets at 250mph on their belly so I would think you would be ok?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Weird. How many jumps do you recommend to have before trying? And how do I go about learning? I just assumed you would start off in FF HD and slowly streamline yourself. Or do you start in belly track and work yourself into a steeper angle? I looked through that site you linked to and couldn't find a lot of technical info about it or how to learn it... I found one small section written in poor English that was talking about a "tube" effect and said something about how falling out of the tube (losing your stability) would cause violent corking out, and the air is very "hard" at these speeds... does that mean you can actually injure yourself on the air just from corking out improperly? I've heard of people exiting jets at 250mph on their belly so I would think you would be ok?

the thing is that the discipline is so new, that nobody knows for sure what's right and what's not.
i've been to three competition this year and everybody is doing his/her own thing. even now after
i've been doing speed for 2 years i still really can't figure out the ideal technic.

of course the idea is simple - to provide as little surface as possible and as much weight as
possible. since weights are not allowed the only thing left is surface or body position. headdown
provide the least amount of surface, though some competitors opt for standup position, but it's
rather an exception.

the key is stability. since there is no terminal velocity for speed skydving jumping from regular
atlitude, the longer you keep your perfect position the more speed you will build up. the faster
you go, the easier it's to lose your balance, and the slickier your suit is, the harder it is to maintain
your balance.

i started when i had about 200 jumps (?) and i was only doing RW at that time. i just flipped on my
head and started tumbling across the sky. probalby in about 20 jumps i got pretty stable and in 50
jumps i was going about 200 mph where i stuck for a long time. hte bgi break thru for me was booties !
i think i'm the only one flying booties now, but it works for me. i slowly progressed and finally went over
290 mph. 300 mph is still to come.

air is pretty violent at high speed and the dive itself feels very intense, but i wouldn't say you can
injure yourself. well, people are known to dislocate shoulders in regular freefall though. one is supposed
to gradually slow down after speed dive but i usually slam it as hard as i can, lots of speeders do
the same. i never felt that i could dislocate or break anything. well, except my jumpsuits. i go thru 2
every eyar. and wear long sleeve t-shirt under your jumpsuit, otherwise the fabric on you triceps will
beat you to dark blue death :)

gear should be super-duper FF-friendly. closing loop should be extra tight. 2 audiables, open face
helmets are not recommended, Gath is banned since you can't hear your audiables in it. for accurate
measurements ProTrack should be placed on later webbing. in helmet it could read weired things.
that's about it :)

ask me more if you need any info.

stan.

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

I've had two batteries fail in my protrack with no warning at all!

On both occasions the unit was checked before boarding to be switched on and working, but gave no check-beeps at 1k. On checking why not, I turned them on again and they were active by around 2k, so I got the warnings Ok, but 2k higher than normal!

It remained on and still logged the dive(s) Ok (but with incorrect altitudes recorded).

On both occasions I changed the battereies immediately after, and had no further problems for about 12 months.

I'm planning on changing the battereies each year on mine warnings or not and now carry a prodytter as well (And yes - I do have a wrist alti!).

MikeA

I've had two batteries fail in my protrack with no warning at all!

On both occasions the unit was checked before boarding to be switched on and working, but gave no check-beeps at 1k.

i consider absence of "check-beeps at 1k" to be a pretty good warning itself. if you get no
check-beeps, you know that something's up and that you can't rely on audibles for this jump.

and it sounds like the units were not turned on prior the boarding. chances that both units will
fail simultaneously are very slim. chanses that the were forgotten to be turned on are much higher.

stan.

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

Example:
This weekend I lost my Protrack in freefall at some point. I have a Bonehead with an external mount. It go bye-bye at some point before landing. I have a dytter for this kind of situation. I had that protrack in that setup for 400 jumps and just now I lost it. I probably would've lost my altitude awareness if I didn't have my dytter there. I use the protrack as my warning and logging function, the dytter is a backup. Dead batteries, losing one unit or the other, they're pricey, but I wouldn't think of jumping without both.

So now I have to get a new protrack AND a helmet with internal mounts.

-R

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

I probably would've lost my altitude awareness if I didn't have my dytter there.

I don't mean to be an altitude awareness nazi, but shouldn't your eyes and/or internal clock remind you that the ground is approaching regardless of your audibles? I like to think of mine as just a backup in case I brain fart.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

It remained on and still logged the dive(s) Ok (but with incorrect altitudes recorded).

Same thing happened to me at Lost Prairie.. which is about 3500' above sea level.. it was my first trip away from Snohomish or Kapowsin

My home DZ.. Snohomish is 15' ASL and Kapowsin is about 500 ASL

I broke out the Pro Track manual.. and VOILA... there was the answer.

I had to reset the Protrack to the 3500' ASL... another damn keystroke sequence to remember... sheesh.

When in doubt.. read the manual.

When the batteries in mine started to go whenever I would get it to the look at the last dive...1111 beep
hold 2222 beep.. then a LONG BEEEEEEEEEEEEP then it would display.. I just changed the batteries in it.. and no more loud long single BEEEEEEEEP when going into the view mode

Jeanne

Having a bad day Stan?

I suggest you re-read the post before jumping in. It was ONE protrack on TWO dirrefent occasions. I am SURE they were on before lifting as on neither occasion was it the fist jump of the day and they had worked previously.

And yes, absense of check beeps IS a good indication, and if I had continued to use them on subsequent jumps after the first failure, then that WOULD have been stupid.

But as I'm a stupid person (and obvioulsy a liar) then you probably wont believe this either will ya?

I had to reset the Protrack to the 3500' ASL... another damn keystroke sequence to remember... sheesh.

Reset to 3500? All you have to do is turn it off and on again.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Having a bad day Stan?

I suggest you re-read the post before jumping in. It was ONE protrack on TWO dirrefent occasions. I am SURE they were on before lifting as on neither occasion was it the fist jump of the day and they had worked previously.

And yes, absense of check beeps IS a good indication, and if I had continued to use them on subsequent jumps after the first failure, then that WOULD have been stupid.

But as I'm a stupid person (and obvioulsy a liar) then you probably wont believe this either will ya?

chill out, man !

if my avatar looks angry it doesn't mean i feel the same way. :ph34r: i was mistaken about two pro-tracks,
but still stay my ground about the rest. if there is no beep, don't use it for THIS jump, not taling about subsequent ones. the worst is when everything seems ok, it beeps at 1k, blinks on the way on altitude, but doesn't warn you in freefall. that will be a total failure. i don't know any cases when that happend. it probably did, but i don't know about it. chances that two pro-tracks will fail the same time without any warning and with beeps at 1k are very slim.

stan.

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

I'm chilled Stan. I just dont like people telling me Im wrong about something when I know Im not. Especially first thing in the morning!
;)

I know I checked them before boarding and that they were on..
Im not sure what kind of gift you have that tells you that they werent, but it seems to have gone out-of-whack on this occasion...

I still think you need to re-read the original post. :)

Your point;
>if there is no beep, don't use it for THIS jump,

Agreed that its not good to use it for alt warnings. That is why I said;
>It remained on and still logged the dive(s) Ok (but with incorrect altitudes recorded).

Meaning- I wasnt stupid enough to rely on it for any alt warnings until the batteries were replaced!

But I dont see that there is any reason not to use it for logging (assuming it remains on during the dive) as the freefall times and speed data should still be OK, and the (deploy) altitudes can easily be deduced by comparing with someone elses exit altitude and adjusting.

Assuming that it stays on, then the warnings will just go off (2k?) higher giving a greater margin of safety, but as I already said, Im certainly not going to rely on getting any warning at all under those circumstances, so my altitude awareness was pretty high...

Actually, I have very good altitude awareness. I will often check my visual atlimeter when I worry and it's usually around 6k. But who knows, it coulda happened all ugly-like, right? That's what they're there for, just-in-case, or that-one-time.

-R

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE