deurich2003

How much do you load your reserve?

I have also landed a demo-version downwind in 20MPH winds, intentionally. I think anyone who loads theirs heavily should do the same.

Thats pretty funny. I don't see the point at all.

Josh
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

That's pretty typical of one of the two reactions I get.

No matter what size your reserve, you had better be willing to do a down-wind landing in the worst conditions. Shit happens.

I would MUCH rather be prepared, know what I'm capable of, and what my gear is capable of before I end up needing it.

500 feet is not the time were we should be wondering "Hmm. I wonder if I can pull this off....."

More importantly, now I have a pretty good idea of how much "runway" I need to pull off that particular manuever. It ended up being quite a bit more then I would have guessed.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Well I disagree thats all. I am loading slightly above 1.75 and while I have landed it downwind a couple of times by choice, I just do not see the point for everyone to land downwind under reserve to just see if they can. They can find out when the time comes if they ever need to.

Josh
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

That's pretty typical of one of the two reactions I get.

No matter what size your reserve, you had better be willing to do a down-wind landing in the worst conditions. Shit happens.

I would MUCH rather be prepared, know what I'm capable of, and what my gear is capable of before I end up needing it.

500 feet is not the time were we should be wondering "Hmm. I wonder if I can pull this off....."

More importantly, now I have a pretty good idea of how much "runway" I need to pull off that particular manuever. It ended up being quite a bit more then I would have guessed.

_Am

Andy,

I agree with you about demoing the type of reserve you will be using. I think everyone should do this. I have and always will when I chose a reserve.

My concern would be...what happens if you are unconcious? Knowing how you can land your reserve downwind is a good thing but what happens when you have no control?

If we could have our choice I'd prefer a PD-210 over my head as my reserve. But a Vector3 with a Xfire 119 and a PD-210 would look awfully ugly! So I load my 160 @ 1.4. :)

Blue Skies,
Scott
I read somewhere to learn is to remember and I've learned we all forgot

Roughly 1.6

I have also landed a demo-version downwind in 20MPH winds, intentionally. I think anyone who loads theirs heavily should do the same.

_Am

I have heard this before and dont see the logic.

Thats like saying "a pilot should land in a 30 knot x-wind component for practice. I mean, what if you fly into a storm and need to land? I would MUCH rather fly the landing knowing ahead of time that i was goingto fly it, before it actually happens"/end sarcasm

lol..the problem is that it doesnt matter much whether you know on the ground before the jump that your going to make the landing or whether you find out at 2000ft. You still have to perform it. Its either going to be your first time on an actual emergency, or your first time on an intentional one...

Around 1.6 or so on a PDr 176.

I've flown demo versions of that canopy before, flies really nice, easy to sink, easy to shut down, powerful flare. Hell, it even swoops fairly well.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

1.4 for me. I've landed a reserve at 1.75....and it was a beautiful landing....but it was ON DZ...and I would have hated to land off in some small field with that canopy. Because of that, a couple years ago I bought a rig that holds a 120 main, 160 reserve. I'm now jumping a 103 main at 2.15 and a 160 reserve at 1.4.

Mike

At that altitude, shouldn't you be able to turn into the wind? I agree that you should be able to do the downwinder, just the wear and tear if you slide it out, or the chance of minor or major injury make me relunctant to try it. It's kind of like practicing laying a motorcycle down. Did you have a smooth grass runway for all this?

At that altitude, shouldn't you be able to turn into the wind?

There have been WAY too many fatalities from people who thought they had to turn into the wind. I said 500 feet because when we're under our reserve, we're often low and "off". 500 feet may be very conservative. There's countless reasons why you might find yourself at even lower altitudes. 200 feet? Not impossible. We all talk about now its not necesary to land into the wind. The reality is that pretty much people do what they plan for, and if you plan on all your reserve landings being into the wind, then that's probably what you'll do... Even if you're too low to pull it off.

Did you have a smooth grass runway for all this?

Of course. Practice under the best conditions so that you're prepared for the worst conditions.

I do get a lot of pushback on this idea. (i also get a lot of kudos) I think that most of the people who object are really just afraid of doing it themselves. A good modern PD reserve flies pretty similarly to a main. I see hotshot swoopers downwinding their mains all the time. What is it about a new modern PD reserve that makes it so much more dangerous then doing the same manuever under a main?

I think that if people aren't willing to downwind their reserve EVER, then that's a good sign that they're jumping a reserve thats too small. Secondly, if you are willing to do it in good conditions but not bad, that's a sign that maybe you shouldn't be jumping in those bad conditions.

_Am
__

1.6, and I have landed my PD Reserve off the DZ after my mal, crosswind (so I would land with the rows on the field) and put it down right in between two small rolling hills. I choose to PLF it before landing because I didn't want to take any chances with all that going on at once.

Also, it is not the smallest 7 cell canopy I have jumped, and that was a factor in my decision.

I can tell you this - if I land canopy without a flare, something will get broken.

I have also jumped a PD Reserve as a main on three other occasions.

_Am

Does landing my old main (sabre 170 1.5/1), in full flight, off the dz, night jump, no moon, no flipping idea where the dz was, drifting backwards towards a train, not flaring because I didn't know I was that close count? Or do I have to land downwind on purpose:P
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I know you're asking facetiously, but I'll answer anyways.

My point is that you should be able to land your reserve in the worst conditions that you jump in. Doing so ensures that: 1) that you're jumping a reserve of a reasonable size, and 2) that you're jumping in reasonable conditions.

So to answer your question, No. Because 1) You did it on your main, not your reserve. Your main is your best case, your reserve is your worst. Plan for the worst. 2) Knowing where the DZ is located is something you can control. For most people, not knowing where the DZ isn't an option, so there's no need to plan for it, or prepare for it. 3) Not flaring helps nothing, and without additional info, it sounds like a stupid thing to do. Certainly not something I'd recomend, nor something I plan on doing, nor will I prepare for it.

On the other hand, 1) Drifting backwards? If you're going to jump in high winds, I certainly hope you know how to land while backing up.

Landing downwind in less than ideal conditions is a very real posibility on every jump, which is exacerbated when under your reserve. It's a very real possibility, and a whole lot of people died last year because they thought they HAD to turn into the wind. Be prepared to land downwind so that you don't make a stupid choice.

_Am
__

So to answer your question, No. Because 1) You did it on your main, not your reserve. Your main is your best case, your reserve is your worst.

So do you feel my reserve is my "worst case" scenario? My reserve is a PD160R loaded at about 1.4...while my main is a Xaos 103 loaded at almost 2.2. I certainly don't agree with your reasoning(for a 20mph downwinder on your reserve), but you already know that.

You made a statement once that everybody should be able to land their reserve downwind in 20mph winds....or they shouldn't be jumping that reserve. I still stand by my original assesment of your actions in that regard. I won't land my main intentionally downwind in 20mph winds...nor my reserve. Of course, you'll say I shouldn't be jumping in 20mph winds because of that. I said I won't do it INTENTIONALLY....there's too much risk involved..it's kinda like chopping a perfectly good main just to be able to say you had a reserve ride "under controlled circumstances" before it happened for real.

If I end up downwind under my reserve....well, I'll be happy it isn't my main...and take the downwinder...hell, I've landed my main downwind in 10mph winds....I am confident I can do the same(even with stronger winds, if necessary) under my reserve.

I've been doing this long enough that I know when to stay on the ground. I hope others have good enough judgement in this area as well to not do intentional downwind landings with 20+mph winds...or to jump at all when the winds are that high..

Mike