freefly68

R.A.G.E.

Martin is still test jumping the Rage for Stephan at Deland with his body Nils of the danish freestyle team. I think the have both the 107 and the 86 sqf.

I have borrowed it a few jumps from Martin. The 107 that is. And compared to my Crossfire2 109, that I mostly jump, I found it's diving characteristics much the same as a Crossfire. The front risers were a little softer and it felt like the back risers were a little heavier. It feels like the flare on the toggles never ends. It flies and flies due to the airlocking.

But, I only have two jumps on it so be critic to my experience.

Hi Hans Christian

The R.A.G.E.( Ram Air Guiding Engine ) is no Airlock System, even though it might look like it at first glance. If you look at Martin's 86 next time, you'll notice, that the top skins continue from the top leading edge inside each half cell and form a air intake like you know from jet air crafts.
What it does is that it keeps the overspilling air from flowing over the top, disturbing the laminar flow. This effect can be noticed especially at low speeds, where the R.A.G.E. system still produces sufficient lift to keep you flying.
In aircraft terms we would speak of a low stall speed.( Pilatus Porter like ) The other advantage is, that the nose is not distorted, giving the RAGE a very low nose drag coefficient. It is actually a active air control ( guiding ) system instead of a locking system.
Gardner : She looks fast !
Truman Sparks : Yeah, it's the stripes.

I think I understand what you say. If you look at my drawing attached, you say that the airflow goes were I have marked with red arrows during a flare. But is'nt it still an airlocking system. Will not the area, marked yellow, work as an airlock. Are you saying it will always be open?

This drawing is based on what I have seen and felt on the rage. I had to grab inside the nose to feel what was there since you can't see inside, because of the top skin locking. The extra skin coming from the b-lines must work as an airlock together with the top skin, must it not?

Or am I totally lost in understanding:)

Hi Hans Christian

The R.A.G.E.( Ram Air Guiding Engine ) is no Airlock System, even though it might look like it at first glance. If you look at Martin's 86 next time, you'll notice, that the top skins continue from the top leading edge inside each half cell and form a air intake like you know from jet air crafts.

If the diagram that HCnorway posted is correct for the design of the RAGE canopy then it looks a lot like an airlock??? Am I missing something??? I think Brian Germain noted it as a "German Airlock" design or something like that in an earlier post. Though it does not look like the design Big Air has it looks like an airlock to me in some respects . Just curious if the design HCnorway noted is correct and if others think it will act like an airlock??

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Hi All,
To end this discussion, if the RAGE incorporates a Airlock, or a derivative of it, here is a pdf document that explaines it all.
Questions and further discussions will probably still not be avoidable, since there is still a lot to be explained yet.

To end this discussion, if the RAGE incorporates a Airlock

They are not airlock per se. They do not close completely. They look like baffels to me.

I do like the design of the RAGE though. does anybody know when they will be released?
Memento Audere Semper

it looks to me like it actually does close in the second diagram, and the explanation actually says airlock, so I'm thinking it just may be an airlock... it may not be closed all the time, but it can function as an airlock sometimes or something.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

it looks to me like it actually does close in the second diagram, and the explanation actually says airlock

That´s because it is an airlocked design, but that diagram doesn´t show the R.A.G.E. design it shows a classic airlock design (like a Samurai or a Vengeance).
By the way, the note beneath and on the right of the diagram should have told you that!;)
Only the third diagram shows the R.A.G.E. design, the other two are just for comparison.
------------------------------------------------------
ROCK ON,.....HARD!
Proud European!!

how much is it???

Separate from that, I am curious as to the sizes they are planning on offering. It is probably in the thread BUT since it was started awhile back and sits at 85+ posts I did not go back and look.

I know the vids and the pics but not the sizes if they were noted.

Again regarding the design, though not an airlock in the Brian G. design, BTW which I am a fan of and jump (have a Samurai), it is still very similar in final result to a Airlock. Still noodling over the "spill over the top" issue for airflow, seems like a nice design though. I would be curious to see more of the canopies around and see the feel from others, or even myself if I could get my hands on one.

Scott C.

Hi guys its AC
At the moment I do not know if the canopy (freefly68) is talking about is the Flight Concepts canopy that Red is having me jump right now.
The "Rage" is a non crossbrased nine-cell elliptical.
It has a type of H nose mod which gives it a changed nose shape and a better standard flare for landing. It dives in a turn more so then a stiletto will and has a recovery Arc a lot like the Samuri.
The openings are a camera flyers dream- progressive and soft. The landings are good but do not compare well with the landings of a crossbraced canopy. The Rage lands, in a high performance since, like that of a stiletto. This is from comparison jumps with the same wing loading on a stiletto 107 and the Rage 107-exit weight being 190.
Again - this might not be the same R.A.G.E that was being talked about.

I dont think this is the same Rage.. the regular Rage, (which I have jumped, 120) doesn't look like that on the nose.. and they are saying it is the R.A.G.E. and have a description for the acronym.. the Rage that is currently out has the softest openings of any canopy I have jumped, including the spectre. simply amazing. However, I have experienced a pretty noticeable trapdoor w/ it that I really don't like...

Blue Ones

Bryan
D27808

The Flight Concept Rage HERE is totally different. They are actually nearly done with the testing on their 360 tandem version. I jumped it last week at Monroe. INCREDIBLY nice openings. It's just a scaled-up Rage.

Chuck

Chuck,

That is the FC RAGE tandem your talking about??

Scott C.

Yes.

Also, Asaf Fischelson was jumping a Paratec R.A.G.E 107 at Deland this weekend. He said he liked it.

Hi

me to, i love my 86 R.A.G.E.
just could make 3 jumps this weekend, very windy (lows 15 knots highs 25-30 knots)
very sweet openings, looong recovery arc (360° turn must be started at about 1200 feet) and nice 100feet swoops (remember 15-30 knots wind)
can´t wait for better weather.

blues

Frank
provehito in altum

1200 feet?? Err that's quite a lot more than any canopy I've ever jumped out there for a 360. Sure you got the alti correct, and what are you using to determine it? Or is your dz just very high msl?

Blue ones,
Ian

hi

i determine the altitude with my suunto observer watch and the DZ is at about 1200 feet msl

blues
Frank
provehito in altum

Hi ChilianXaos,
Have you been to the Vina del Mar Boogie this Jan. ?
One guy was jumping a R.A.G.E. 86 there. Did some amazing
swoops at Renaca beach.
His wingload was around 2 to 2.1. He turned at around 1100 ft for a 360.
I spoke with him and he told me that he matches his turn altitude with the degrees of his turn. Meaning for a 360 he starts his turn in 360 m above the ground. This comes to about the same altitude in feet as what freefly69 posted. In one of the posts, there is a video of one of the swoops. If I remember correctly, it was posted by freefly69.

Hi Fandago , I couldt go to the Boogie in Reñaca , but some friends told me that was really good . But the week before I talked with the guy that jumped the rage , he tried to explain me the design , but in a barbecue with some beers was really hard to get it .
Anyway if he dives his canopy from so hight, the rage must have a longer recovery arc than all the other xbraced canopies . I dont think people are seting their 360 landings that hight even at 2.3 wingloading.