freefly68

R.A.G.E.

Hi
have a look at the pictures.
a brand new canopy with a brand new nose design! and compare it with the x-braced nose.

2 weeks ago i was in saarluis düren (germany)
the new canopy will be called R.A.G.E. (Ram Air Guided Engine) and has his roll out a few days earlier
and yes this RAGE is a hell of a canopy.
the size now is a 107 sqf
max exit weight is 107 kg
and there will be also a 86 and 120 in a few weeks.

i will get some videos soon too, so stay tuned.

blues
Frank
p.s.: the manufacturer is paretec / germany
www.paratec.de
provehito in altum

Have one of those here at out DZ in 107. Guy was jumping it and wasn't really impressed with it. Said it reminded him of a Stilleto. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it looks like a pretty nifty canopy.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hi guys its AC
At the moment I do not know if the canopy (freefly68) is talking about is the Flight Concepts canopy that Red is having me jump right now.
The "Rage" is a non crossbrased nine-cell elliptical.
It has a type of H nose mod which gives it a changed nose shape and a better standard flare for landing. It dives in a turn more so then a stiletto will and has a recovery Arc a lot like the Samuri.
The openings are a camera flyers dream- progressive and soft. The landings are good but do not compare well with the landings of a crossbraced canopy. The Rage lands, in a high performance since, like that of a stiletto. This is from comparison jumps with the same wing loading on a stiletto 107 and the Rage 107-exit weight being 190.
Again - this might not be the same R.A.G.E that was being talked about.

Having something never beats doing (>|<)
Iam building things - Iam working on my mind- I am going to change this world - its what I came here 4- - -

Its not the same RAGE. The RAGE in Germany is a totally different concept then the FC canopy. The RAGE in Germany has inlets on the bottom of the canopy that inflate the canopy and it has none of the nose open.

I still can't belive that there are 2 canopies with the same name out there even though Paratec had thiers at PIA in Jan. :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

from the look of the picture it looks more like an airlocked canopy..I didnt see any inlets on the bottom skin, it moreso looks like the top skin comes over the nose forming the airlocks rather than having seperate fabric pieces to form them... jsut my observations, I could be wrong..
-yoshi

Hi

no it is not airlocked.
the nose is completly closed.
when you look closly, you will see the air intake below the nose.
the air goes there in and then headed to the nose.
keeping the nose under pressure, no matter which maneuver is flown. even when you perform a full rear raiser stall

blues
Frank
provehito in altum

when looking at the nose again (and not to be a pain I am just trying to understand it) the airflow inflate the canopy on the leading edge between the bottom skin and the top skin (the nose) it looks as if it is a completely formed nose that the inles is jsut a small area at the bottom of the nose, but it doesnt look like there are any inlets on the bottom skin to inflate it. the top skin looks like it completely forms the nose yet the openings to the cells are still in between the bottom skin and top so I would say it is not completely closed.... when looking at the second picture I can still see the ribs thru the front of the canopy (what I think are the ribs in yellow)... I guess I just dont get it... just looks to me like the cell openings are just not as "tall" as most cell openings... please dont take this badly I am jsut confused about the explanation and what it looks like in the picture... if you could take the picture and circle the inlets to help explain it I would really appreaciate it...

also the canopy look much thinner (to skin to bottom skin) than convensional 9 celled canopies.. is this true? I would think if it was it would make it more areodynamic...
cant wait to hear more about it..
-yoshi

Hi

yes, the inles is just the small area at the bottom of the nose. it is just 3 cm high (a bit more then an inch) and a little bit behind the nose.
like an airintake at a F16 Falcon.
then the air will be directed to the nose

and yes the canopy is not also looking much thinner,
it is. just 13 cm high (5.1 inch)

blues
Frank
provehito in altum

Yep, Flight Concept's new nine-cell elliptical looks nearly identical to a Crossfire 2. There are actually three of them here at Raeford being test jumped by different people. Seems OK, but I am not about to trade anything I have for one.

The R.A.G.E. canopy that is pictured looks like the one that Paratec (or some other German manufacturer) had displayed at the PIA. It looked cool, but I never saw it fly.

Chuck

I'm sorry.. Without a partially closed off nose like the VX, FX, Xaos, Crossfire the front of that canopy is going to be a speed brake. Sure it will keep air in but it looks to me like the nose design will be highly counter productive to lowering drag and increasing speed..???????

Rhino

Nope, Rhino. The nose on the German canopy was fucking nuts. It's totally closed off except for inlets, much like an F-16, on the bottom. I thought the design was cool. As for the Flight Concepts Rage: it looked nearly identical to a Crossfire2. Check the Flight Concepts website and see for yourself.

Chuckie

The R.A.G.E. canopy that is pictured looks like the one that Paratec (or some other German manufacturer) had displayed at the PIA. It looked cool, but I never saw it fly.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

yes, the R.A.G.E. is from Paratec
i will get a video tomorrow and place it in the net.
what i saw was very impressive

blues
Frank
provehito in altum

Nice. Those guys had a red/white/blue 85 (as I recall) on risers at their booth, plus had a portion of one setup with a fan blowing into it. The display had clear panels sewn into it so that you could see the lack of turbulence in the canopy while inflated. The guy gave a good presentation.

Chuck

How would it act as a speed brake? If anything by having a more shaped nose it allows the wing to fly faster. Instead of it scooping air the whole time like a conventional canopy it only skims the air needed to stay at the correct internal tension levels. A closed nose does no good if it is getting distorted the whole time in flight. Partally closed noses (Crossfire, some of the Xbraced canopys, etc) are nice since it helps to shape the nose into a better airfoil but they still distort. Look at the picture of the Xaos nose and its slightly distorted. A nose and internal presuring schema like the RAGE has keeps a fully inflated nose profile the whole flight, the faster you go, the higher the pressure thats applied from the inside to the nose to keep it in shape.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Problem area circled.. Air flow is arrows.. Squiggly line is the air in question. THAT IS A SPEEDBRAKE.

Seems to be to me anyways?

The Xaos nose is cleaner it seems to me. Some portions of the nose being completely closed off.

Rhino

I do not know if the canopy (freefly68) is talking about is the Flight Concepts canopy that Red is having me jump right now.

I haven't flown one yet but I do know the guy that built it. He started jumping the one he made himself last year. The one thing that impressed the shit out of me was watching it fly on windy days. Every other canopy.....from 9 and 7 cell standards to even stuff like velocity waivered around in the wind. This canopy was always ROCK solid. No accordian or distortion what so ever. Very impressive. He has already sold a couple at SD Atlanta. So far everyone loves them.

Yep, Flight Concept's new nine-cell elliptical looks nearly identical to a Crossfire 2.

FCI's Rage is fun to fly and cheaper than a X-fire 2. I've not flown a X-Fire 2 so I'm unsure how their flight compares. Rage's glide angle is steeper than Stiletto, but not as steep as FX/VX. Also recovery arc is a good bit longer than Stiletto, but shorter than FX/VX loaded similarly.

Chris