mraviation1

heatwave to crossfire 2

I am looking for a little advice. I have about 500 jumps on my heatwave 150 and am getting pretty comfortable and confident with the canopy. I have demo jumped a cf 2 139 and really liked it, but I would like to know if it would be too much to go directly to a 129. any feedback will be appreciated

That is a fairly substantial jump. Before you do a "double downsize", first ask yourself "why am I doing this?" If the answer is that you think you can get away with it, then you may want to reconsider. I will promise you that there is nothing you can do under the 129 that you could not accomplish under the 139. What you will give up, though, with the smaller canopy is length of swoop. What you get in return is a "faster feeling" canopy which is actually only diving at the ground faster, not going any faster forward. Don't buy that 129 unless you demo one first. Not just one jump either; I am talking at least a full weekend. With the large amount of demo canopies available from manufacturers (PD has a whopping 500 in their demo fleet), there is no reason not to try before you buy.

Chuck

Chuck,

What are you opinions of instead of downsizing/switching canopies from a Heatwave, getting the H-mod done?

Funny, his response made me think the same thing...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=37989;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;
and
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=293262;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;

--
Hook high, flare on time

Chuck,

What are you opinions of instead of downsizing/switching canopies from a Heatwave, getting the H-mod done?

The first canopies I ever heard of getting H-modded were the Heatwaves that Joe Bennet and all the Georgia guys were jumping. It's a sound, inexpensive mod that will definitely make your canopy dive longer and increase your bottom end swoop distance (due to the increased speed acquired during that longer dive). Call Joe Bennet at Skydive Monroe and discuss it with him. The other option is to call Howard Adams directly. I don't have his number, but I am under the understanding that he is running a dropzone in northern Florida nowadays.

Chuck

I just got my Cobalt back from Joe Bennet with the nose mod ,Jumping doesn't start here for another month , so i can't comment on it yet , unfortunately over the winter i lost about 15 lbs which may be enough to make the mod un noticeable . I will have to slap on some weights to get the full benefit .

I just got my Cobalt back from Joe Bennet with the nose mod ,Jumping doesn't start here for another month , so i can't comment on it yet , unfortunately over the winter i lost about 15 lbs which may be enough to make the mod un noticeable . I will have to slap on some weights to get the full benefit .

Please post or pm me with the results I am very interested in the mod. Glen

What's the "H-mod"?

Triangular bracing on the nose, in front of each of the load bearing ribs. It looks sort of like the bracing on a comp. cobalt, only half as much. Named after Howard Adams, I think. It can be done to heatwaves and cobalts, for sure. I'm not sure if it can be done to the older pre-cobalt stuff (alphas, spaces, vipers), or hornets. I haven't flown an H-mod'ed canopy, but from what I hear, it's well worth the $150 or so you pay for it.

Blues

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

Remember there are also sizing issues here, as PISA measures the PD way, and Icarus measure inflated.. so the 129 is closer to a "real" 135 anyway.

Apart from that, the design philosophies are almost diametrically opposed. I found that the Heatwave had a VERY short recovery arc, and the crossfire has a longer recovery arc. (Have not jumped the CF2 but hear its further exagerated)

Also, the heatwave has a short toggle stroke, and the crossfire is a full stroke.

And the Heatwave has a tendency to hammer open while the crossfire openings can take 600ft - or longer.

So there are a bunch of changes to get used to, and for you to contemplate from a hospital bed. SM1 gives 1st class advice. Small steps. You'll get there that way.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Icarus has said that inly the Omega and U.S built SAfire1's were measured differently, everything is measured same as PD now. The Crossfires were always measured the same as PD.

I have jumped the Crossfire1, 116, 104 and the Crossfire2, 89, 108 and 149. I put one jump on a Heatwave 100. I didn't have any time to evaulate the Heatwave, it was an intentional cutaway jump.

I found the Crossfire2 to be an amazing canopy. Light front riser pressure, long recovery arc, plenty of lift.

Hook

And the Heatwave has a tendency to hammer open

what heatwave did you jump?? i have had many heatwaves, and have jumped many (i owned a 120 lots of jumps, 100 about 100 or so, and then jumped a 135 for about 150 jumps). and they all opened great. i loved my heatwaves.

weird.

later

I e-mailed Icarus and explained that this had been talked about here and if they could give me a reply that I could post so here is Icarus's reply

The Safire-1 and the Omega are measured differently to PD canopies. As a rough guide a Safire-1 or Omega is about the same size as the next size down - eg A Safire 149 is about a 135. A Safire 119 is about a 109. Use an equation of 8%.
The Safire-2 and Omni (Omni supercedes Omega) are measured the same as
PD.

All other Icarus Canopies are measured the same as PD.

The reason for the difference is due to Precision measuring their canopies differently. Icarus have always measured the same as PD however when we originally commenced in the USA, Precision were building parachutes for us under license and were doing it using their size equations and not Icarus/PD's.

We have therefore had to wait to supercede these models to change the size equation.

Only the Safire and Omega were affected.

Blue skies
Simon

Icarus Canopies
USA: 1S671 Bender Lane, West Chicago, IL 60185, USA
Ph. (630) 562-2735, Fax (630) 231-4430
Europe: P.I. El Ramassar, c/ Vallés, s/n O8520,
Les Franqueses, Barcelona, SPAIN.
Ph. (34) 938 496 432, Fax (34) 938 497 971
www.icaruscanopies.com

It was a 100. Had a built in turn too. To the left.

There is also a case which may or not make it to court where a 135 opened so hard it tore the bottom skin of both end cells. The jumper was knocked unconsious and the canopy started a weight shift spiral which it maintained to impact. The cypres (expert) did not fire as decent rate was not high enough. The jumper was current and had completed 2 succesful cutaways prior to the incident, and was within weight and speed limitations. He is currently bed ridden and hemiplegic as a result of the incident over 3 years ago.

Beleive me. I'm in SA. I see heatwaves hammer every weekend.

t

Beleive me. I'm in SA. I see heatwaves hammer every weekend.

i believe you, it's just seams weird. i've seen one open hard, but not near as hard as that (ie that one that ripped). and the one that opened hard was my dad, and he knew it was him, he slamed the canopy in the bag to make the load, and he thinks he forgot to pull the slider out, and it was quite sloppy.

oh well, every canopy is different. they all have a mind of thier own.

but if your in SA, why don't you send it back to PISA, or now aerodyne, and have them do something about it, like it could be out of trim or something.

later

The one that put the dude in the coma - they cut the lines off and grounded. They offered no explanation what so ever. The canopy was less than 6 months old, and had fewer than 100 dives.

The 100 - they had back 2 times to fix the turn, and both times it came back as though it had never been touched. Fortunately it was a demo-for-sale, so I never bought it.

t

That sucks about your friend.

I do find it odd about the Heatwaves you're seeing, though (and I know you see many more then I do), but the ones I've seen and the one I jump perform very well and open well. The 170 I have (I'm loading it much higher then you probably think) opens well (oversized slider, though) and performs very well. No built in turns, nothing of that sort. The toggle stroke is what I consider just right, set long enough to front riser hook without tail deflection. The stroke is MUCH longer then a Stilleto's factory settings. Then again, I didn't set my brakes to the factory settings either. On the first couple jumps it was that way and I lengthened them a few inches to keep the tail from deflecting on front riser turns.

There are a handful of jumpers in Texas who jump Heatwaves (that I know atleast) and they'll all say basically the same thing that I just said.:S

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."