skygod7777

HOOK TURNS!!!!!

ok, who here does em. i mean real ones, not carves. i know a lot of people are starting to get into carves, but i guess i'm saying, if you get flat with the horizon, then it's a hook (may be a carve to you, but for matter of discussion). i know that i did a poll about this before, but it isn't too clear.

so if you do over a 180 degree hook, post it here.

or if you don't do over 180 degree hook, maybe just 90, say something here.
if you carve put it here (don't ever get totally flat with horizon).

and if you could, post your type of canopy, wing loading, and jumps under canopy. and how many jumps you have all together.

lets see what some dz.com'ers canopy skills are;)

ok, and to post mine, i do 270 hooks most of the time. but sometimes, i do 180 hooks, or sometimes, i do 360 hooks. or 90, 270 (i've only done this maybe 15 or 20 times)

i have a 84 fx, 2.25 or 2.3 wing loading, 600 jumps under it and 1800 jump all together.

later

90 carve followed by 90 that tends to be steep, sometimes hook. If I am high it is more carvey as it is easier for me to complete my turn smoothly. but usually the second 90 is more hookey:D

I totally adjust my turns left or right based on obstacles and outs, I think I m close to ambivalent now though I think I am a little more accurate with a left.

900 + jumps VX97 (at about 2.15) I didn't skip any sizes either;)

bloo skies
ramon

P.S. if a hard swoop is unwarranted or there is traffic I will get in the pattern and do a carving 90. I got no problems calling off my swoop, in favor of a straight in.

"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

I usually do 180 carvers, but I get on it from time to time. done a couple 270s, but not enough to really count. most done under a 149 crossfire, also jumped 119 crossfire, 109 crossfire, 105 crossfire 2, cobalt 120, and soon to be under my new crossfire 2 111. new canopy will be loaded at 1.81-1.83 depending on how much I gourge myself the night before (and if I have shit or not:) 350+ jumps total most under 149 crossfire.

-yoshi

Right 270's the great majority of the time toned down to a 180 if the corridor does not permit it, or 360 if I am high, yet traffic won't let me get where I need to be to do my 270.
3200 jumps with about 500 on a CC or H-mod 75 Cobalt at 2.34; a CC 65 at 2.6; or a Xaos 69.5 at about 2.4 something.

Chuck

HOOK IT BABY! B| I used to do about 50 degrees right followed by hard left 140 degree (to net ~90 degrees from original base leg to final). This would definately get me parallel to the ground. I have found however, that I a carving 180 to 270 degree (favor the left hand pattern) gives me better/longer swoops. It could be that my technique has much improved, but I find that this way I build up just as much speed and it definately gives me much more lattitude with reguards to height at which I begin the hook/carve. I currently have 300+ jumps on a Xaos-21 108 loaded at 1.9:1.

--Jairo

Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

Left 180 carve or so i thought until i wore a belly mount camera and was really surprised to see the horizon disappear behind the canopy!! Xaos21-108 loaded at 2.1, 300 jumps on this canopy - 2300 in total.

If you watch Pier medias 'Swoop' video there is an interview with Drew Lipinski who is saying that people are moving back away from the carve to the hook - although the carve is still useful.
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

i don't hook all the time (mainly 'cause i'm still not used to the canopy and on time to time have a load of shit in my FF suit, which is btw white and orange on my but, so it's pretty much visible ;)
prefere 90° left carve, but I gradually bild up speed before that
jump an Ace 100 by AtAir, loaded at 1,4; till now made some 100 jumps on it, before that some 100 jumps on ZP elipticals from 95 - 150 (mostly Ace, Viper, Impulse, all by AtAir), loved the most the Impusle 120, and ofcourse, the smallest: 95

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

If you watch Pier medias 'Swoop' video there is an interview with Drew Lipinski who is saying that people are moving back away from the carve to the hook - although the carve is still useful.

i do remember this video, and the interview. but what i'm saying the "carve" that most people do, is still a hook. your getting flat with the horizon, and that to me is a hook. the difference, to me, is that you can be a lot smother with a carve, and a hook(hard hook) will snap you around very quickly. if you look at all the pd guys, and icarus guys, and all the good swoopers, you see them flat with the horizon, and they all say they carve. it's really is just a tamed down snap hook. but this is just my opinion,
and
opionions are like assholes..................everone has em................and they all stink.

later

A friend of mine does a very aggressive front riser 180 on his Velocity 90. He nails it every time.
After hes'd done the turn though you can see the speed bleeding off him as the canopy is plaining out, people who carve seem to be keeping much more of that speed lower down and generally seem to go further - this is how it appears to me anyway!
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

I do a 180 either left or right most of the time.

However I also do at least once a weekend...trafic permitting, and I am not team training.

270's left and right,

And as it was called years ago a "Super Sonic Dig"

90 left then 270 right or 90 r, 270 l.
Just to stay in practice.

I also work on flying straight in and landing in the peas.
(I just requalified for my PRO on my V96).

I have a Velocity 96 at 1.9, a ST107 at 1.7, and a Sabre 107 at 1.7.

Over 2,500 jumps total.
600ish on a ST120
over 1000 on a ST107
around 120 on the V96
400 or so on an Star Trac I/Sharpchutter.
The rest on all kinds of stuff from Raven II to Extreme 69's

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

My turns are more of a carve, but at times will get "flat with the horizon"...

my most common approach is a left 270 front riser with a fair amount of harness input, although they have been as big as 360 and as little as 0...

~400 jumps on my Velocity 103 @ 2.1:1
~100 jumps on my Velocity 96 @ 2.25:1
~1700 jumps total

I have competed in PPPB (1st Place in Int. Speed, 2nd Place in Int. Distance... have not had the time to do any of this years Pro events though qualified) and the years Pond Swoop Nationals at the Ranch (Tied for 26th)

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

So by your Deffinition of a hook,

Yes, 270's left or right depending on the wind direction and where the spot was. (started recently in the past 40 jumps).

Or 90's left or right (they are more carvish) when I get traffic, which is not often as we are 95% of the time first out.

I do not care for 180s as the site picture and traffic paterns are not as comfortable.

VE103 @ 1.85:1 ~200 jumps on it.

I have a Jedei 105 that I load at 2:17:1. 700+jumps
270 or 360 carves are landings of choice. either way..
Starting around 800 900 feet.
Sometimes the first 90 to 180 degrees are a hook depening on traffic and wether I am calling the swoop off.

I will still hook high(very high) in high traffic areas with ending a carve or a straight in approach, but that is just to stay in line of the order of landing traffic...

whats up vern.. long time no see .. you gonna be there at the winter trip? hope to see you soon.
rgroper: yeah its a little stiff for most with my jump numbers, but I assure you I am within my limits (personally).
-yoshi

i guess if i had to pick a preference for a setup it would have to be a a carving 180. i also like snapping them. sometimes i do a carving 270. alot of times when i think i'm too high for a 180. 360's are fun but the 540 is a real thrill. in fact, i think the 540 is my favorite. i don't get to do it too often since it's hard to set up for when there's alot of traffic all around. but when i can i start out real easy and gradually give more pressure depending on my altitude. i always watch my altitude by looking over my left shoulder (almost always turn left). i always watch a little ahead in the direction i'm going. also partly because i have a slight stigmitism and don't wear glasses or contacts while jumping.

325 jumps stiletto 107, 300 alpha 84, 350 fx74, 1174 in all.

levin
vSCR#17

P.S. if i'm getting low and traffic is bad i usually do a wide carving 90 -180. on a long spot i would rather hook and land off rather than fly straight in. the best part about landing off is there's no traffic or anybody to get in your way. only thing to watch out for is maybe a few obstacles on the ground.