MrHixxx

slider stashers

Hey swoopers,
I am looking for a cool system/design for the colar of my jumpsuit for wrapin up my slider. Anyone have any slick methods they want to share?
thanx, Hixxx
"Woman... Wu -mon... Whoa - man! She stole my heart and my cat"

Think CAREFULLY before you decide to somehow tie your slider to your jumpsuit.

Good question Hixxx, personally, I have a single kill line collapsable slider, and have been tucking the line in between the reserve risers on the right side after rolling until tight. I'm pretty sure if I chopped it I wouldn't have a problem, but am interested in hearing what the experienced people might say about this. I'm guessing it might not be good.
My other idea is to have my rigger install some tabs facing downwards on my risers so when I pull the slider down the tabs will lock it down until I pull the grommets back over the tabs for repacking. I'm not sure if both kinds of riggers would be able to do this or what, just an idea I had floating in my mind. If you don't understand what I'm talking about I could sketch a pic. If it sounds like a horrible idea, I'm open to suggestions.
--
Dude, where's my raft?

I do not like the idea that you attach your slider to your neck collar. Two years ago, I saw a canopy collision during the final approach. One parachutist had to cut away her damaged main. She was less then three seconds under her reserve and she had no time left to unstow her brakes.
Every second counts. You do not need something that slow downs or prevents you of cutting away your main.
I just collapse my slider, bring it behind my neck and open my chest strap as far as possible. It works very well.

I have seen the velcro on the collar thing.. But I am hesitant not knowing if the velcro would release if I had to cut away under my main. Then again you could use one stitch or something on the velcro to your collar? That would break..
The slider does seem to be a pain in the butt.. The further I get my chest strap undone the more it seems to stay down..
Blue Skies ..... ;)

I've made and used a velcro attachemnt that slides under the top reserve flap. It's nice for two reasons, 1) it is always w/ the rig regardless of what jumpsuit you are wearing and 2) if for some reason you have to cutaway after stowing your slider and if the velcro didn't release or open the reserve top flap and slide off (I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't) activating the reserve would allow the slider keeper to slide off the reserve top flap.
Hook

I make things exactly like Derek describes on both of my rigs for times when I am not wearing a jumpsuit, but I also have slider stows on all of my jumpsuits. The "rig" ones slide on and off the top reserve flap easily, but don't slide around. They take me about five minutes to make. My jumpsuits all have a 1.5" x 1.5" piece of pile velcro sewn to the collar which has a three inch piece of binding tape connected to a same-size piece of pile. Many swoopers like to sew something just like that to the yoke of their rig. That would be fine on a racer or Reflex. Don't think your slider will release? Check it in a cutaway harness; I did and it did not slow anything down.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

Slider-catchers.
Sounds like Mr. Spy is trying to re-invent slider-catchers.
Sandy Reid invented slider-catchers back when F-111 was in fashion and I built a few while working at Rigging Innovations.
They look like dive loops except for two changes.
First slider catchers are sewn on much lower, almost at the crotch.
Secondly, slider-catchers incorporate plastic stiffeners.

Think CAREFULLY before you decide to somehow tie your slider to your jumpsuit.
If you collided with another jumper under canopy and had to cutaway, would you be able to?

Agreed Paul! I like the train of thought that Derek and Chuck are following... It is nice to have peers just a click away!
thanks, Jon
"Woman... Wu -mon... Whoa - man! She stole my heart and my cat"

I have a velcro tie-off on my jumpsuits. I use a 1.5 x 2 section of hook (mounted 2 wide, 1.5 high), with a 3.5" piece of 3/4" elastic sewn under the hook. On the end of the elastic I have a 3/4 x 1.5 piece of loop (mounted 1.5 wide, 3/4 high). This holds the slider pretty securely, but lets go on occasion (maybe 2-3% of time). I can just grab my slider at the grommets and pull it up the risers and the attachment will let go. I am positive this will not interfere with cutaway.

How easily does the slider stay behind your head without anything to keep it down?

I used to use one of the slider stows which Derek made however it started beating the bejesus out of my neck on headdown jumps once I began jumping with a tshirt & pants rather than full jumpsuit.
So...now I just pull the slider down behind my head and, if I loosen my chest strap all the way, it stays quite well for me. Now my main concern is the latch on the back of my Half-Rak camera helmet. I've had the slider catch on that latch once or twice as I was looking around under canopy and I don't like the thought of it catching on that latch in the event I have to cut the main away. Has anyone else with a Half-Rak or Bat-Rak experienced the same?
-Trey

Mine doesn't unless It comes all untucked on the plane.

Your what doesn't what unless it comes untucked on the plane?
Are you saying the stow doesn't flap horribly against your neck unless it comes untucked? Into what are you tucking it?

It's that Javelin rig of yours

Probably so! I'll likely go with a Vector 3 for my next rig. 'Cause that's what all the really cool people at my dz have. ;)

I tuck my excess velcro strap underneath the strap that holds it on my reserve flap. No biggie just keeps it more compact instead of a big loop of material sticking out.
I can still reach it with my hands when I am settled under canopy.
I love that 'stash' that flappy ass slider would never stay down and would get in the way of trying to grab dive loops etc..
"wee girls on a skydive road trip on big bikes...... yikes, dykes and bikes kinda thing...... ", David McKelvie

yeah, right!......

Sorry...I should have said 'All the really cool people WITH THE EXCEPTION OF DAVE'......my mistake...thanks for catching it!

Glad you escaped database hell on Sunday

Unfortunately the escape was only temporary...I spend most every Monday through Friday stuck in db hell...it's rough but at least it keeps me jumping on MOST weekends!
Wednesday night is a definite go!
See you there!