heftee

Winter Gloves

I've read forums on suggested masks to where while in cold weather - thanks for the advise.
Now, I'd like some opinions on good winter weather gloves to get. Something (obviously) that will keep me from getting numb but will also allow the dexterity to do what needs to be done.
Brand name, style info appreciated!
~

-------------------------
"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."
David Whitley (Orlando Sentinel)

Okay brand names styles etc elude me right now, its been a while since I had to buy any....
Think layers, a pair of 'space' gloves (they are white with some sort of alum thread in them) worn under a pair of summer gloves works for me. Silk or thin thermal under gloves etc work fine as well.

Don't forget that all the blood going to your hands flows through your wrists first, so think about how you are going to protect those too. Can I say an old pair of socks?

I've seen people using 'pocket warmers' (little charcoal burning thingies) on planes, which helps keep your hands nice and toasty on the ride up, but never saw the need for these myself.

Of course a lot will depend on your definition of cold....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Nuemans, I used Coaches gloves in the winter, those are warmer not as good grip but still good enough to get all the handles pulled, but if you just need something to shield the wind in the cold, and have a nice tacky grip, the Nuemans Wide Recievers Glove.
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

try getting medical gloves, and wear them under whatever gloves you usually wear....do not get the stretchy latex gloves, the gloves you want are heavier plastic....wear these under regular gloves and they keep the air off your hands and you stay much warmer, along with the fact that you are not having to bundle up what is on your hands so you are not losing dexterity of hands....

$0.02 from a monkey

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

One good option is the thinner neoprene SCUBA gloves. I think mine were $35. Wear with thin polypropylene liner gloves to absorb the sweat. These won't have quite the feel of some, but I'm used to jumping in gloves anyway so for me it's not a problem. I usually wear leather gloves with thinsulite insulation in cool/cold weather but bought the SCUBA gloves for a zero degree millenium midnight jump.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

scuba gloves do work well, however along with that thickness is a lack of "feeling", i'm not comfortable if i can't feel the hackey.....with the plastic med gloves as liners, i can wear just a pair of easton batting gloves over them and my hands are not cold....

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

I use a pair of "Pipe" gloves from Burton snowboarding. They are lightweight and have good overall feeling, but they are super warm. Try a snowboarding/ski store. Or, check Burton.com for a list of dealers in your area.

The other gloves I have used are made for SCUBA diving. they aren't as warm, but they do work. You can add a second layer to improve warmth. Some people use latex gloves under their regular gloves, while other folks buy an extra large pair of gloves as an otter layer.

Whatever you do, please make sure you can feel your handles and grip everything you need to reach, including toggles. Try the gloves in the store, then try them again with your actual gear on the ground.

Tom Buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Water skiing gloves also work well. Several brands are neoprene with leather on the palm and inside of the fingers. Nice and warm and you still have pretty good sensitivity where it counts (on your fingers)

A bonus is they come in all kinds of different colors if you want to get a pair to match your rig/jumpsuit.

One thing I recently descovered are winter cycling gloves. They are great becauase all the padding is on the back of your hand, and not the palm. Plus mine have leather on the palm adding good grip. These are warmer then my Neumans by far. (The Neumans are thinner though and for cool (not cold) weather I prefer the added feeling) I think not being able to feel my hands under canopy is a definate hazard so I consider the small loss in feeling a good trade.

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

My favorite pair of winter gloves are Thinsulate lined Isotoner knock offs. Yes, I do mean the ones that you see at Christmas every year. Thin but toasty warm, lots of feel.

Mine were made by a hosiery company. I doubt that brand name matters much; it's the Thinsulate lining that does the trick.

(Note - I jump in southern California so what works for me may not work for you...)

Of course a lot will depend on your definition of cold....

-30° F. :S

And the Burton pipe glove recommendation = good. I have some Da Kine gloves for snowboarding, but are too thick (even for snowboarding) for my tastes. I need to pick those up.

- Mac

I've been known to jump in deep snow. When it's below freezing at ground level, trust me - it's DAMN cold at altitude.

I wear a normal pair of ski gloves. Specifically, a pair made by Kombi, which were a hold-over from my racing days.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I've tried baseball gloves with liners, wind-surfing gloves, bicycle gloves, several variations of insulated leather gloves, but have been wearing ski gloves on the seriously cold days (-20 degrees Celcius).

The real key is keeping your body core warm so that there is enough warm blood to keep the fingertips flexible. Long underwear, turtlenecks, booties, beards, etc. all help, but hte best protection is still hiding behind a tandem student.

"Mechanix" get my nod. They are a great choice, warm, tough and readily available at most any Autoparts store. They cost about $25 and come in a wide variety of sizes. The palm and fingers of the gloves provide for a great grip. IMHO they are better than Neumans.

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

If you can, find a pair of Spring downhill racing gloves (downhill skiing).

They are expensive (try 80 dollars and up). However, they are extremely dexterous (sp) yet warm. ...truely the best set-up out there I believe.

Also, if your thin gloves are not warm enough, put a heatpack on the back of your hand (make sure you can still grip shit though...it might make the glove too tight.

IMHO scuba gloves don't work. Thats what I'm using now, and they barely even keep my hands warm on the way up. Plus, mine just have a plain leather palm, which isn't very good for grabbing the strut. I'll try the latex gloves under them and see how that goes.
sudden thought- are you all talking about wet suit gloves, or dry suit gloves? maybe thats my problem...

What I sometimes do is put a second thick left handed glove on, and this at least keeps one hand warm, and since I pull with my right hand, the loss of mobility doesn't affect much. Also, I do the two-handed-pull reserve drill, so that hopefully shouldn't be a problem.

MB 3528, RB 1182

> IMHO scuba gloves don't work.

I second that, more or less. I use bicycle gloves that are basically scuba gloves. The palms are synthetic chamois, which is good for dexterity, and handles water fine, but the gloves are not airproof so when my hands sweat up (my autonomous skydiving reaction) these gloves let the air evaporate the sweat out, chilling my hands.

However, let me say that they're better than no gloves. Freefall from 10k and a canopy ride from 3.5k may leave my hands burning with a bit of warm-back-up pain on the ground, but it's still better than I would be without gloves, and I can reach, feel, and pull all my pully bits great.

On one of my early jumps (I was S/L progression), I did my first jump with these gloves. It was a hanging exit. I got out there and hung and looked left, and promptly slipped off the strut because synthetic chamois doesn't hang onto polished metal all that well. That was a nice jump. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.