freakflyer69

white canopy and uv

What's to notice? No colors to fade.

Since there are no colors to fade it will look better longer, if you don't get it dirty! I don't believe that the fabric longevity will be significantly different. But the dyes will fade in a colored canopy and the white will get dirty in a white canopy.

Don't worry about UV, keep it out of the sun, and get what you want.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

i have always been led to beleive that darker colors absorbe uv more readily where as lighter colors reflect it more. As the sun is nylons worst enemy I have always steered towards the lighter colors.:)

That's not necessarily true. By definition, light colors are reflecting more visible light than dark colors. However, ultraviolet is a different part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Materials can be reflectors of visible light and absorbers of ultraviolet light. I have come across such dyes in my line of work. I doubt this is specifically true of canopy fabric, but it is within the realm of possibility.

Practically speaking, most of us seldom keep a canopy for more than a thousand or two thousand jumps. There is considerable field evidence that zero-P canopies last much longer than that when given a reasonable amount of care and that goes back to the early fabrics. The fabric commonly used today by the major/popular canopy manufacturers has improved UV resistant characteristics, so it will last even longer. Bottom line, for all pratical purposes it is unlikely you will still have the canopy if and when it begins to show evidence of significant degradation due to UV exposure unless you make a habit of leaving it lay out in the sun.
alan

>By definition, light colors are reflecting more visible light than dark
> colors.

However, the issue is not how much light is reflected, but how much passes through the fabric. If it were just reflection, fair-skinned people would never get sunburns, and darker-skinned people would burn like crazy. The reason they don't is that the pigment in people's skin blocks UV and prevents it from reaching the living part of your skin.

Not much different in a canopy. Ever look up under a white canopy and notice light diffusing through it? That includes UV that's damaging the inside of the fabric, and even the lower skin. Compare that to a black canopy, that allows no light through. Light is more attenuated by the time it gets to the center of the fabric.

>Materials can be reflectors of visible light and absorbers of
>ultraviolet light.

While this is true, it's also true that white nylon is generally undyed, and thus will be the most translucent to all parts of the spectrum. Pigments can only attenuate light, not amplify it. Of course, some materials (PABA for example) specifically attenuate UV.

but how much passes through the fabric. If it were just reflection, fair-skinned people would never get sunburns, and darker-skinned people would burn like crazy. The reason they don't is that the pigment in people's skin blocks UV and prevents it from reaching the living part of your skin.

True, but the fact that a pigment absorbs visible light does not mean that it must absorb UV, or vice versa. Visible light and ultraviolet are different parts of the spectrum. Melanin happens to absorb visible light as well as UV, so people with melanin are dark. UV absorbing compounds can also reflect visible light, or be translucent to it.

Not much different in a canopy. Ever look up under a white canopy and notice light diffusing through it? That includes UV that's damaging the inside of the fabric, and even the lower skin. Compare that to a black canopy, that allows no light through. Light is more attenuated by the time it gets to the center of the fabric.

The fact that visible light passes through a material does not mean that ultraviolet light passes through. Witness glass, for example.

While this is true, it's also true that white nylon is generally undyed, and thus will be the most translucent to all parts of the spectrum. Pigments can only attenuate light, not amplify it. Of course, some materials (PABA for example) specifically attenuate UV.

Now this is more relevant. If undyed nylon is translucent to UV, then dyed nylon is more likely to be resistant to UV because of the pigment.

white zp is a color...

what i mean is that the raw fiber is actually yellowish. to make white courmarin dies, sometimes called brightners are used. these brightners actually absorb uv light and reemit some light in the blue range making the fabric look whiter. this dye does degrade over time and the fabric will return to a yellowish color. the fabric strength is not effected by the color change.

sincerely,

dan<><>
atair aerodynamics
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Man, this weekend the pack room got full, mostly from people dumping their shit and then going off to chat and taking forever to get their pack jobs started, so I went outdoors and did one pack job in the grass. It was a bit sunny.

I sure got treated like the Antichrist when I went back inside! One pack job out in the sun is not going to kill your canopy, is it? I pull high quite a few times and that puts more UV exposure under flight than it would ever get for me having the thing exposed for 15 minutes while I flake, seperate, roll, and stuff. :S

I have an all white stilletto 107. It has 800 jumps on it (I know cause I have to log all jumps on it.) And it is holding up great. I also have a demo colored velocity (fluorescent orange, yellow and Blackberry). The velocity has around 200+ jumps on it and the fluorescent colors are a lot worse off than the blackberry. Noticeably different! But my all white stilletto is holding up great.
Noting that the fabric is great but the color is a little different. I just got new lines and they are really white, I never realized that my canopy was so yellow until I got new lines, So White canopies definitely don't hold their color as well. So you get a trade off, longer lasting canopy shorter lasting color. You decide what you would rather have.
Oh yeah I am a little sick of people asking me what kind of malfunction I had when I was landing my main.

Ray

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Oh yeah I am a little sick of people asking me what kind of malfunction I had when I was landing my main

Since sooo many reserves have a D-bag and collapsible, throw out PC on them...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've done that, with people that have Orange or White canopies, but I'll usually watch until I see a PC trailing or not. That'll give me the chance to look up and around to see if their main is still in the air or not and go chase it if it is.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The grass would do more damage to your canopy then 15 minutes of sun exposure

Really? I've heard that the absolutly best surface to pack on is grass, but maybe european grass is different to yank grass ;) (assuming its ONLY grass you'e packing on)
Try this thest. Make a buttslide on the grass and then make one on the mat you pack on.

Or only light and smoke it AFTER you packed your chute on it ;)
chris