PhreeZone

Pull up cords use while packing

Rather than trying to untie a rubberband when it breaks, you can use a pull-up cord to "saw" it off.

The closing pin is handy for prying them loose as well.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

On some rigs (like Strong tandems and my mirage) the excess brake line gets tucked into a loop of fabric on the riser. I use a pull up cord to help pull the brake line into the loop.
Vector and Mirage free-bags have a sort of "split bag" design. On other freebags, the grommet through which the closing loop goes is through both the upper and lower surface of the free-bag. On vector and mirage bags, the upper and lower surfaces each have their own grommet. I use a knotted pull up cord through the two grommets to hold them together, until the propper removal time. The pull up cord also serves to pull the closing loop through both grommets.

I tie a pullup around the tail of the canopy when I lay it down, right where the lines go in. That keeps everything together while getting the air out of the canopy. Just remember to take it off when you put it in the bag.
A human cannonball, I rise above it all
Up higher then a trapeze, I can fly

Aggie Dave,
Your idea was tried and discarded circa 1970.
The first fatality report in CSPA's files involves a guy who invented a new packing tool circa 1970. He forgot to remove the toll before sleeving his canopy. He died circa 1970. The practice of tying lines together at the skirt was deemed really, really dangerous circa 1970.

Oh well, guess my packing is more dangerous than my jumping. The DZ Dave and I jump at sometimes, probably at least 50% of people use something to keep the tail in check. Either a pull cord, or a spring loaded clamp. If you always pack with it, and have since student status, it is just part of the process to remove. You won't forget it any more than cocking your pilote chute. And just for safety, the clamp have 6' long streamers on them to make them obvious. Is it necessary? Maybe not, but packing a 210 ZP in the bag, yes things can shift as you bag it. And a tandem main? These things really help.
Malachi

Well... Forgeting to set your Pilot Chute happens all the time. I've had to reset a few on the climb to altitude since it was not set. And as for needing it to pack tandems, if I can shove a 500 in a bag made for a 384 neatly, there is no reason that you need any clamps or anything. If you can't get a ZP canopy in the bag cleanly, then just practice more until it is easier instead of using potential dangerous techniques.
Using them like that is like using a Molar strap, its fine if you remember 100% of the time but the 1 time you forget..... its not going to be pretty....

I remember hearing stories back in the 70's of some jumpers who used to tie a line around their lines at the skirt of their round canopy when packing. This is not a wise thing to do (especially if your memory is like mine). The rigger who's helping me get my back rating also uses a molar strap. I've heard a few stories of people forgetting these also, so I don't think I'll use one. I know they are big and colorful and how could anyone miss one, right? Now what was I writing about? Oh now I remember. I once assembled and packed a belly reserve. The only problem was that I had forgotten the cross connector between the butterfly snaps that attach to the D-rings on a harness. This is a major mistake. If one of the snaps had come unhooked it would be like cutting away two of your risers. Fortunately I got to thinking about this, the same day, and took it apart before anyone jumped it. I felt like manure knowing that I had done this and fortunately I was able to recall what I had done before putting anyone in danger. It just made me realize not to leave too much to memory, because I'll forget. I don't put too much trust in my memory because I know it can fail. I've always kept this story a secret because it's something I'm not proud of. But at the same time it's an example of what can happen. I think my name is Steve

there is no reason that you need any clamps or anything

Yeah, I don't need a pull up cord on the tail to pack, but I prefer it. It makes life easier. Will I forget about it someday and have to cut it away? Probably not, its pretty hard to miss that the way I put canopies in the bag, but sure it could happen. I could also forget to cock my PC or route my bridle wrong or a 100 other things that could go wrong or be done wrong.
Personally, I will continue to use this technique to help me pack, just like I have for the past 100 pack jobs or so, does anyone else have to do the same? Nope. Packing mains tends to be more of an art then a science and everyone has a slightly different way to do it. :)A human cannonball, I rise above it all

Using them like that is like using a Molar strap, its fine if you remember 100% of the time but the 1 time you forget

Don't forget. Many riggers use a Molar Strap; I know of no cases where one was left on and killed somebody.
If you can't remember to untie the pull up cord from the lines every time, how can you remember to cock a pilot chute every time? To set your brakes every time? To unstow the slider every time? The whole point is to establish a routine. If tying the lines as mentioned above is part of the routine, why is it more likely you will forget it?

After you pack, it's always a good idea to do a flightline-check on your kit. Make sure when you do this check, that you have the strap / pullup in your hand. If not, where is it?
When you participate in sporting events, its not whether you win or you're loose, its how drunk you get.

Rather than trying to untie a rubberband when it breaks, you can use a pull-up cord to "saw" it off.
Just put the pull-up cord behind the knot in the rubber band and pull it back and forth a few times.

I've seen that.. it's a nasty technique. Tons of rubber particles all over the place. Lot's of heat generated which can't be good for the stows on the bag.
I find this works well. Grab the long end of the broken band and pull it as tight as possible. Then use your tshirt to grab the band as low as possible and pull it hard. It will snap, the shirt will prevent it from hurting your fingers at all and the band will come right off.

I will use my pull up to put small rubber bands on to my d-bag. I've got big fingers and have trouble with the small bands. I use the pull up to thread the rubber band through itself.
And Dave: Tieing your lines scares me. I can introduce you to three people who lost three different friends years ago by doing this...
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

And Dave: Tieing your lines scares me. I can introduce you to three people who lost three different friends years ago by doing this...

We've all lost friends from doing various things, you know? With me, it helps me keep everything nice and together to make my packing quicker (for me) and easier.
Like it was stated before, if this is something that you do everytime, the chances of you forgetting is much less then if you only did it everyonce in a while. Sort of like closing your container correctly, cocking your PC or anything else in you packing steps.
If we ever meet, watch me pack sometime and you'll understand what I'm talking about and that there really isn't any cause for concern. :)A human cannonball, I rise above it all

I too use it to put small rubber bands on, other than that and for the closeing loop thats about it....I have my own mat that was made with snap straps to go around my risers when packing!! (they also work good for shoe laces).....:)jason

I saw a lady use the pull up cords to tie her pony tail.

Like it was stated before, if this is something that you do everytime, the chances of you forgetting is much less then if you only did it everyonce in a while. Sort of like closing your container correctly, cocking your PC or anything else in you packing steps.

Be careful with that, remember always to do that extra check with the pull up cord in your hand. I once saw a person (had 200 jumps) get all excited for a free jump that he went running to the plane and when he asked for the final check here is what he got "STUPID! go back and put on your rig!" yeap, he forgot his rig; and others forget goggles, helmet, altimeters, to turn on AAD or reset the AAD, to reset the kill line PC, etc...
Just be careful.
"Life is full of danger, so why be afraid? be extreme"
drenaline