PhreeZone

Pull up cords use while packing

Polarbear and Skydive Monkey...DITTO. It is part of my routine and has been since I started packing. Most of my DZ uses it, and noone has forgotten it yet. Guess it is just a little DZ habit. And I could seriously argue on safety here. I think teaching a new packer to use it ever time and not forget it might have less risks than a student inadvertently packing a line over, due to difficulty controlling lines. Plus, your rigger uses all kinds of gizzmos to pack your reserve. Have they been forgotten before? Probably. Should they all stop using them? I don't think so.
I work in an industry (IT) where I cannot forget. If leave a route statement out, leave a screw floating around in a server case, it could take down a production network. So, I tend to do things very ritualistically. My dad always said without a good work area you cannot do good work. This goes for skydiving too. I pack with thought EVERY time. Even Aggie Dave will rib me from time to time about packing slow, but you know each pack job saves my life, 5 more minutes is worth it to make myself totally satisfied.
And to bhale, I agree after a few thousand, maybe even a few hundreds pack jobs you wont need it. But "If you are rushing to get on the next load" sounds more dangerous for a beginner than using a tie on your lines. I would advise never rushing in this sport. I know it happens, and I know it can be done safely. I am not a rigger and this is a rigging forum, just my opinion.
Malachi

Aggie Dave's method will only work consistently if there is only one pull-up cord on the DZ and he uses it CONSISTENTYLY to both tie his lines together AND close his container.
For example, I use my molar strap 3 or 4 times on every reserve pack job.
First, I wrap it around a table leg and hook my clamp bungees to it while flaking the canopy (for a detailed explanation of this method, ask a BASE jumper).
Secondly, I use my molar strap to as a molar strap, to control the canopy while I stuff it into the free-bag.
Finally, I wrap the molar strap diagonally around my shoulders and tie the pull-up cord to it while closing the container.
The fourth use for a molar strap is compressing Racer pilotchutes.
Yes, it might be quicker to have 3 or 4 different straps laying around the loft, but 3 or 4 straps increases the risk of forgetting one inside a pack job. Needing my molar strap at several different steps in the pack job forces me to remove it from the free-bag, making it almost idiot-proof.

both tie his lines together AND close his container

That's what I do! Although I usually tie my risers together with a pull-up, but the one I use is the one that is falling apart and can't be used for anything else, so I don't close with it.
A human cannonball, I rise above it all
Up higher then a trapeze, I can fly

>And I could seriously argue on safety here. I think teaching a new packer to use
> it ever time and not forget it might have less risks than a student inadvertently
> packing a line over, due to difficulty controlling lines.
If that's the issue, then never let go of the C/D/brake lines throughout the pack job. It's not hard and it's a lot less likely to cause a mal.
Even without it, a sloppy pack job will usually not cause a mal. A pullup cord tied around the lines is guaranteed to cause a mal.
-bill von

Only if it is forgotten :)Seriously, Bill I respect you very much. But I am not budging on this one. It is something that helps me, it is part of my routine, and I collect my rubber bands and pull up cords after every pack. If one or the other is missing, I will notice. I dont advocate this as good for everyone, but it works for me. And honestly, I am not sure how everyone else packs, but for me to keep my tail rolled nice an tight on a 210sabre, it almost requires something. The canopy is long enough that my knees are too high when I lay down to flatten out the air.
Malachi

>Seriously, Bill I respect you very much. But I am not budging on this one. It
>is something that helps me, it is part of my routine, and I collect my rubber
> bands and pull up cords after every pack.
Sorry if I implied that it was no good for you - it can definitely work. I use some tricks similar to that when packing my BASE rig. I just wouldn't suggest using a pullup cord in that way to someone who is just starting to pack, or is trying to make a neat pack job out of a messy one.
-bill von

>I just wouldn't suggest using a pullup cord in that way to someone who is just starting to pack, or is trying to make a neat pack job out of a messy one.
What is wrong with making a neat packing job out of the messy one? And keeping your energy, spent on wrestling the pig, for some more productive endeavours?
Tying up line with a highly visible band is not more dangerous then forgeting to cock you pilot shute, misrouting your bridal, or forgeting to check your chest strap - all on that can happen once you race to a start after wasting your time on bagging..
Is not it?