cybervagrant

Tunnel Time Entry in Profile.

that'd be cool...

also might be cool to have a tunnel rat forum, since tunnel work seems to be gaining in popularity and interest because of the current and planned tunnels.

I agree with both of these points.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I'm going to be the one here to disagree.

I agree that tunnel time helps with learning to fly, but it's not a replacement for a real skydive. Tunnel time doesn't teach altitude awareness or how to fly a canopy, or even how to deal with a malfunction.

Not everyone is lucky enough to afford or live close to a tunnel, and because of that, I don't thing the number of people that would post on a tunnel thread justifies having a specific forum for that.

As for tunnel time in the profile, again, I don't agree having that. This is a skydiving forum. Take for example both my sons, with plenty of tunnel time, but they still aren't skydivers. Tunnel time does not make you a skydiver, so why clutter up the profile, there is enough to read in that little space.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Why would adding tunnel time to one user's profile demean the value of the skydives another user has made? They're separate activities.

Likewise, the number of freefly jumps I've done bears no relationship to my ability to swoop. Nor does having a rigger's qualification mean that I can turn 20 points in time.

All that adding tunnel time would do is allow skydivers to share a more complete picture of their skydiving-related experience with their peers.

As for tunnel time in the profile, again, I don't agree having that. This is a skydiving forum. Take for example both my sons, with plenty of tunnel time, but they still aren't skydivers. Tunnel time does not make you a skydiver, so why clutter up the profile, there is enough to read in that little space.

Nicely put Mar. I totally agree with you. But then again, i usually agree with you...:)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Why would adding tunnel time to one user's profile demean the value of the skydives another user has made? They're separate activities.

Likewise, the number of freefly jumps I've done bears no relationship to my ability to swoop. Nor does having a rigger's qualification mean that I can turn 20 points in time.

All that adding tunnel time would do is allow skydivers to share a more complete picture of their skydiving-related experience with their peers.

I totally agree. I think it would be nice to see who the tunnel rats are and who has what time in the tunnel. I have a measly 7 1/2 minutes, but it's time. Just as freefall time is time, even if it's a hop-n-pop. It's an extension of skydiving, they are related, so I think it should be recognized somehow.

Thanks, great minds think alike.

HH said something somewhere about adding different forums would depend on the number of people that would use it. I can't seem to find it now, I'm sure HH will be here any minute to point me in the right direction, but I still don't think enough people would post on the forum. You can only spend so much time in the tunnel; it is after all; expensive. I also think you can only learn so much from the tunnel experience, so there would only be so much you could discuss in that forum. Plus, what about the number of people that don't have tunnel time? I think that number is bigger then the number of people that do have tunnel time.

Maybe when the tunnel becomes more mainstream, like having easer access to a tunnel because they are all over, but for right now, I think if some one wants to show off the number of hours they have in the tunnel, it becomes more of a bragging issue.

And yes, I do have tunnel time, in fact, I have more then a few hours:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Exactly. So is needlepoint.;)

By the way, judging by my opinions on creation of new features and forums, on dz.com, you all should expect a tunnel time entry! lol...
Remster

I don't really get your point to be honest, I would have thought that due to the fact that tunnel time is becoming increasingly more important in skydiving that this alone would make it relevant....
How many of the top teams freeflying and FS are using the tunnel (all of them), I appreciate that you can't do CRW, or improve canopy skill etc but this can be countered by the fact that you would consider someone who has only done a static line jump (no freefall) a skydiver (or I would anyway)
Hence my point is, the tunnel is now an important part in skydiving, although admittedly annoyingly expensive one ;)

I would have thought that due to the fact that tunnel time is becoming increasingly more important in skydiving that this alone would make it relevant....

IMO the tunnel is not important in skydiving. You can only learn so much in the tunnel.

The tunnel does not teach you altitude awareness. Lack of altitude awareness will kill you.

The tunnel does teach you the basic skills and fine tunes the World Class teams. After that, it's all the same.

Again, IMO, the number of skydivers that use the tunnel are far less then the number of skydivers that don't use the tunnel. I'm sure that will change over the years, but for now because of how expensive flying time is, it's not mainstream enough.

Oh, here's another thought. Both my sons can fly circles around people in the tunnel, yet they have never made a skydive. Would that allow them to have some kind of input on a Skydiving/Tunnel forum?

I just think that posting tunnel time in a profile will turn more into "bragging rights". Heck, some people that post, can't even list the correct number of skydives they have. Why would they list the correct number of hours/minutes they have in the tunnel?

Believe it or not, I know World Class skydivers that have very limited amount of tunnel time, and they do just fine on their skydives.

Heck, some people that post, can't even list the correct number of skydives they have. Why would they list the correct number of hours/minutes they have in the tunnel?

I'd be hardpressed to figure out exactly how much tunnel time I have. I never thought to keep track of it.

I don't know if that's the norm though! :$

If someone really wants to list their minutes/hours of tunnel time, they could list it under "Interests." Maybe?

IMO the tunnel is not important in skydiving. You can only learn so much in the tunnel.

Think this is very much down to the individuals involved....

For me, the only reason I skydive is the freefall time (which I can do in a tunnel much the same)

Yes, i need to be altitude aware, and safe under a canopy but I only use those as a means to an end.

Taking getting to the ground safely after my jump aside - I can learn nearly everthing in a tunnel bar tracking... which I think is relevant to my skydiving history.

As for number of people that would use or discuss the topic... just count the number of 'agrees' above your disagree ;):P

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

I'll ask the question again that no one has answered yet.

Both my boys have tons of tunnel time and can fly in there with the best. They have not done a skydive to date. This is a skydiving forum, would they have anything of value to add to these forums since this is a skydiving website?

Bottom line, doesn't matter how the votes go, there is only one vote that counts;)

I'll take a stab at an answer.... and it would be a yes from me... they could add value.

Although I dont see that as the point (as its more relevant to ask would skydivers want to talk about tunnels in relation to skydiving) rather than would non-skydivers have anything to add!

If I wanted advice on flying skills, I am sure they could advise as well as anyone who has jumped. Despite never having used a canopy.

Freefall time is very closely emulated by a tunnel and thats why I see the flight experience of both to be interchangable.

When I did AFF the tunnel played a huge role for my friends and myself.... and continues to do so for training....

Only question really is, is there enough wind tunnel specific chat to warrant a category of its own?

I would have thought, if you really believe that wind tunnel discussion is irrelevant to skydiving..... you would welcome the idea it is taken out of the forums you use, thus removing clutter.... and you wouldnt have to enter and read it in a seperate place?! :P

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

Heated denate in the suggestion forum! :D

Freefall time is very closely emulated by a tunnel and thats why I see the flight experience of both to be interchangable.

No.

Tunnel time may relate to some parts of the FF skills, but freefall time gives you a shitload more skills then being able to be stable, turn points, etc. which is what the tunnel can teach.

Altitude awareness, awareness of others are just some of the skills you can only gain in the air IMO. In fact, I'll bet that a low time jumper with a lot of tunnel time may have a skewed time and altitude awareness.

Tunnel training is great. No doubt. But its not freefall time.
Remster

Heated denate in the suggestion forum! :D

:ph34r:Not from me, I'm done with this. Afterall; I know how the big guy feels about the idea of a tunnel forum and he has finally say.

I know how the big guy feels about the idea of a tunnel forum and he has finally say.

I think you may be wronmg about this. I think a Tunnel Forum has merit. I'm not convinced about tunnel time in the profile though. At ths same time I can't see how it will do any harm.

Tunnel time to me is tunnel time. It's not freefall time but it does say something... (it may say different things to different people)
Safe swoops
Sangiro