shortyj

Most memoriable tandem student?

I was asked to do a few freebee tandemvideos for "Flying Blind" this year, Flying Blind is a group of skydiving volunteers that give blind and visually impaired people the chance to jump for cheap. The first passenger I was filming was 100% blind. I had never met a blind person before, the briefing they were given was very tactile, I thought it was very very cool everyone, jumpers and their family and friends were so cool and so happy. I thought he was very very brave, daring to jump. He was enjoying his jump soooooooo much :)http://www.paracentrumteuge.nl/component/option,com_zoom/Itemid,489/page,view/catid,36/PageNo,1/key,27/hit,1/

Later that day at the BBQ I met another 100% blind tandem passenger, a guy about 25-ish with a hobby: photography! He knew exactly what he needed in a camera even though the shop owner had no idea, he has a digital compact camera that has big simple buttons and he records a soundclip with each photo describing the picture. He was working towards a DVD slideshow.

How cool is that :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I have taken alot of very neat people with interesting stories on tandems.
Yesterday I took an 80 year old WW2 Veteran named Harry on a jump. He was a paratrooper in the War and did 26 static line jumps in his career. He was also part of a glider crew (those very scary gliders they used to tow behind C-47's). I got to take him on his first parachute jump since 1946. He made his last jump 30 years before I was born. He was an absolute pleasure to jump with and arched better than many "physically fit" 20 year olds I have jumped. I also jumped with a man named Albert this year who was celebrating his 90th birthday. He had also done tandems on his 88th and 89th birthdays.
I jumped with a man named Victor a couple of months ago who was from Russia. He was in the U.S. visiting some friends, one of whom is a recent graduate from our STP program. He spoke NO english whatsoever, but with the help of Alex his friend, we were able to teach him enough that he exited strong, was aware of his altitude, and pulled.
It was interesting in that after we left his friend on the ground and boarded the aircraft, I could not speak with him at all.
In a little over 4000 tandems I get to jump with alot of very inspirational people every year. Each of them are challenging in their own way. Those people and their stories, and the various challenges involved in getting them jumped safely, make them the most rewarding tandems students you can take.

Since I start doing tandem back in 85 I did jumps with 100% blind passenger twice, and quadraplegic or paraplegic on many occasions . Staff at the DZ always call me on those special occasions so I can evaluate the condition of the person myself.
On October 2006 I call back a person who was calling for his brother.
I realise his brother had the exact same very rare hillness my own father died only 12 months ago.
This is the ( in french SLA) in english I think it is the Lateral Amyothophic Syndrome (LAS) also call the Lou Guerig hillness.
The problem was that we where full until the end of our season. Knowing his condition I told my partners that we will open one more day the following week-end for this guy and his friends.
On THE DAY (October the 16th 2006) the weather was not perfect. No wind on the ground but 30mph at 1000 and up to 50 at 13000. Low clouds (2000') at 75% moving really fast.
In those conditions I told my passenger Richard he should go on the first load with his brother and a child because the weather might not old on.
He decide to go on the second load.
When we took off for the second load (we never stop the turbine) the ceiling was closing in and it was getting dark on the ground. At 13000 it was sunny and so bright but also minus 18. Going thru layers of clouds was very...very cold. The exit at 13000 ...Such a spectacle!!!
On our end of the year video it was our most memoriable video.
In May of 2007 they all came back.
Richard was in a weel chair and not able to jump any more.

Richard
When you think you're good...this is when you become dangerous.

There's this guy who phones me up and goes on rather dramatically about wanting to do a tandemjump at a rather short notice, during the week in what is the beginning of our off season (half way in september) He does want to do his jump ASAP since he is diagnosed with ALS.
ALS?
He explains to me what it is (you'll all be able to google it - basicly its the doctor telling you "you're screwed! - screwed irreversibly, that is...") and since the disease also rapidly deteriorates his muscles he's in a bit of a hurry to go skydiving before he's unable to.
I agree to be at the DZ and meet him to evaluate his abilities and wether I will take him on that jump - depending on wether I can control it and work my way out of the door with him.

As these things go, i'm completely preoccupied with his physical limitations so in stead of a normal briefing that starts with the parachute system (and the way the student is attached to the parachutes-not-the-tandemmaster) I start with "how am I going to wrestle an 85 kg bloke out of a C182 when he's got such limited muscle capacity to help me with the task at hand."
But we manage and though what he shows me on the ground doesn't even vaguely remind me of an arch it is satisfactory enough so we decide to give it a go.
My passenger is going to die anyway within the next twelve months, so he's got a fatalistic view towards the endeavour anyway; if I'm willing, he's willing.

In hazy and cloudy conditions we take off and much to my surprise the jump goes completely as planned. We come out stable, I throw the drogue, we make a controled turn in freefall and I pull.

Then all hell breaks lose. Well actually, it doesn't, but the main parachute malfunctions, tension knots keep a slider and an outer cell in a firm grip and I start cursing as I'm wrestling with the mal.
(You all been there: a few heavy jerks with the steering line and "phew" that was close...)
But not this time; the knots stay, and so does the slider and one side of the canopy.
So despite the hazy conditions that with some bad luck will result in hours of searching for this canopy I chop it - all the time not communicating with my passenger in front of me, who is still more or less in a free-fall body position or his best impersonation of one.
As the reserve opens and I start to stuff handles into my collar he suddenly says: "Are you still there?"
"What do you mean am I still there? But of course..."
"Well I noticed it opened and then you started cursing and all and then I felt that I was in freefall again, so I was convinced - with my luck lately - that you chopped me from the parachute in order to deal with the problem..." :)
One of the last thing my passenger did during the remainder of his life was to start a foundation / patient support group for people that suffered from ALS.

He called it "The parachute foundation"

That was my most memorable tandem passenger.

(edited to say that by a strange twist of faith we (camamel and I) were speaking about the same ("Lou Gehrig's") disease.

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

ALS is a very rare but very sad hillness.
If the diagnostic is early then you have between three and five years to go but all of thoses are not quality life.
Your brain is in top shape all the time but it is harder and harder to tell your muscles what to do.
Eventually you can't walk, second step you can't take care of your own person then you can't eat anything then liquide, you can't talk or write anymore and then you can't breathe.
On each of those steps you need more and more help but it is harder and harder for the person to communicate with the people around and is thinking
(Brain) is still 100% there. It is like being in jail in your own body. It is not easy for the familly around because a person with this hillness will eventually need 24h/day care. You have to find a good place and the right moment to go and to do so .You also have to think about it months and years ahead at least where I live...not an easy task when it is a love one.
I went thru all that with my father 3 years ago. Anyway all that to say if there is an other person with the same hillness that come to me (or any other kind of hillness) I will try my best to make there dream come thru.

Richard
When you think you're good...this is when you become dangerous.

It's hard to pick just one, but there's this one.

The Gangbangers . . .

I was done for the day at Cal City, having taught an AFF first jump course and going up with a couple of level ones when two guys showed up. I was in the office with Bob the DZO, and about to open a beer, when I saw these two peeking in the hanger door. I watched them through the glass window and they looked like they were up to no good. They were Mexican mafia types and looked like stone cold killers straight out of central casting. "Hey, Bob," I said, "either your cousins are here, or we're about to get robbed."

Bob looked up and went, "What the fuck," but it was more a statement than a question. "Well, you're the chief Instructor," he said, "go see what they want." I raised my eyebrows so he added, "go ahead, I'll cover you from in here." I'd been out shooting with Bob in the desert so when I ventured out of the office I kept my distance. "Hi fellows," I smiled, "what can I do for you?" Then behind me I heard Bob throwing the lock on the office door.

"We want to jump, man" said the bigger of the two, "what's the fare?"

I started to relax a bit and explained both AFF and tandems to them. "Tandooms!" The smaller one shouted out, "that's what we wanna do, tandooms!" Oh boy, I thought . . . The pilot had the Cessna 402 down at the fuel pumps so I called him on the hand held and got Bob to unlock the office door. Richard Park was in another part of the building and I fetched him saying, "Come on, you’re gonna love this."

I guess before going further it must be said there was nothing likable about these two guys. They were loud, foul, and obnoxious. Just tandem training them was a chore as they wouldn’t pay attention or take anything seriously. They both wore bandanas low on their foreheads and they were looking at me with their heads way back. Every once in a while I'd catch a glance of Bob in the office laughing his ass off. Richard and I suited them up and we all got in the plane. All the way to altitude these two are going on about how macho they were, how the Latinas would be loving them now, and continually yelling, "tandooms!!!"

I exited with the big guy and it went all right except I felt him squirming around a lot in freefall. Once open I asked how he was and he just mumbled something I couldn’t hear. But I knew he was starting to pass out right before he went limp. I loosened him up as best I could and took it easy on the turns. I kept trying to wake him up before landing when I suddenly felt something warm. He was peeing all over me. I unsnapped both laterals and brought my knees up to push him as far away as possible.

It was windy (good old Cal City) so I wasn't too worried about hurting him on landing but knew he was going to fall back on me all pee soaked. We landed and I unsnapped the top hooks and pushed him away. I checked to see if he was breathing and then stripped down to my shorts. I was swimming in this guy's pee. I wanted to crawl out of my skin. I've got the patience of Jove with difficult students but I'd had it with this guy. Richard landed and Bob drove up in the truck and I doused myself from the water jug. My guy finally came to and went right to telling his buddy how good he did and they went back to carrying on like idiots. I usually ride in the back of the truck with students but this time I rode up front with Bob. And he's busting a gut all the way back to the hangar. All I could do is repeat over and over, "Tandooms, fucking tandooms . . ."

NickD :)

can't decide if it was: the 77 year old retired nurse with all her friends and family watching, or the just turned 18 year old that "always wanted to fly" whose dad bought the jump and who got a huge hug from his son saying "thanks dad", or any one of the many with serious health problems that just wanted to "live"

they are all special, take your time and do it right - it is not just a tandem jump it is a memory
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

OK, I've already posted about my daughter on my 3000th, etc. Last time out I got to take a WW II Navy Vet, age 82!!

His hearing aid was out due to ear "congestion"

He's my oldest, and, wow, he was in good shape. Leo Wilcox, here's to YOU!

You You **** YOU!

:):):)

Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

4th or 5th tandem of the day, I meet the most scared woman I've ever seen. I mean so bad that as I'm checking her harness I ask quietly "Are you sure you want to jump today? You don't really seem that excited."

Before she can answer a male voice behind me says "Aw she's fine, just a little nervous, right "hon"?

The husband. It becomes clear.

I ignore him and get a somewhat resigned but confident nod from her, pause for a moment and then remember I'm not a relationship counselor, grab a rig and head for the airplane with student in tow.

She's frozen the entire ride up, fingernails are digging their way straight to the bone in my kneecaps.

At altitude with her tightened up and ready to go (I had to put the goggle on for her as she wasn't letting go of the harness) I ask again if she is ready to jump. With tightly closed eyes, I get a short nod, and a very quiet, "You do it, you jump for me."

Ok here we go.

Exit was easy, although I carried her to the doorway, and freefall was uneventful other than the constant shriek of terror and the fact that she never let go of the harness.

As the canopy snivels open the shriek changes to a panicked yell of "I can't do it, you have to". This repeats 2 more times.

With toggles in hand I ask "Do what?"

"You have to open the parachute, I can't do it, I can't move" She cries.

After a moments chucking at the situation, I reply "Look up."

Upon seeing the open parachute she goes catatonic, closing her eyes and griping the harness for dear life, only showing any evidence of life when I request her legs up for landing.

After laying still in my lap for 20 seconds or so, "husband" (probably a temporary title) runs over and helps her up screaming "Wasn't that great?!".

She slapped him.

Hard.

Then she stormed off back to the hanger leaving the two of us tandem instructors developing a hurried interest in picking up our gear in an effort to not be caught laughing our asses off at "husband".

Upon my return to the hanger, my student comes walking out sans harness, having collected her belongings. She blows right past "husband" and stops in front of me. "Thank you for keeping me safe." she says simply while handing me a $100 bill after extracting it from "husband's" wallet.

:D

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Oh I forgot to mention the group of troubled young adults that visited our dz after spending about two weeks in the wilderness. That's two weeks in the wilderness WITHOUT showers! One word.... RIPE!

I think we jumped about 30 of them that day (one of which was my first jump refusal). I am really impressed that none of us tandem instructors gagged from the stench. :S[:/]

A little old lady who felt sick under canopy.

She had eaten two slices of cherry pie. When she had finished she looked like she had mulitple gun shot wounds.

The other one I remember is a solo gear check out just befree the tandem course. Sunset load, and the otter was going to do a fly by. They asked if I had a problem with the otter coming through first before I landed (I weigh 145lbs) So. There I am. 5000ft going now where, slowly. The otter comes in low and fast....thats just about when small gray puffs of smoke appear below me quickly followed by some bangs. They were firing fireworks ! coming no where close...but I think I now know what attack pilots feel when being shot at by AAA.

3. My girlfriends tandem. Always a fun relaxing jump.

4th or 5th tandem of the day.....

Upon my return to the hanger, my student comes walking out sans harness, having collected her belongings. She blows right past "husband" and stops in front of me. "Thank you for keeping me safe." she says simply while handing me a $100 bill after extracting it from "husband's" wallet.

:D

Thats a classic ;)

Oh I forgot to mention the group of troubled young adults that visited our dz after spending about two weeks in the wilderness. That's two weeks in the wilderness WITHOUT showers! One word.... RIPE!

Oh crap, they had that group out again?:S:S I'm glad I missed it.

I did one of those groups maybe 5-6 years ago. I think my suit still smells a little funky.[:/] It's cool they're trying to learn new ways to get "high", but they should have them shower when they return to civilization.:D

One stands out for me. Last year a large group came out to the DZ in memory of a young soldier (Mid 20's) that died in Iraq. The entire group had pictures of the soldier on their T-Shirts. I spoke to a woman onthe side who coincidently, turned out to be the soldiers mother. She was not going to make a jump because she was scared to death of it. Turns out I took her son on a tandem the year prior and he went on to get cerified. His mother said he loved skydiving so much the memorial just made sense. Needless to say I finally convinced her to make the jump with the 30 or so other supporters. Well the jump went well and I opened a bit higher than normal. Once open she was crying, and started yelling to her son how she loved him and that Mommy did it. She said, he would be so proud of her. She cried the whole way down as did I. After landing she hugged me and couldnt say thank you enough. She actually said she has never felt so close to her son, since his death. What a emotional trip. Unforgetable.

One stands out for me. Last year a large group came out to the DZ in memory of a young soldier (Mid 20's) that died in Iraq. The entire group had pictures of the soldier on their T-Shirts. I spoke to a woman onthe side who coincidently, turned out to be the soldiers mother. She was not going to make a jump because she was scared to death of it. Turns out I took her son on a tandem the year prior and he went on to get cerified. His mother said he loved skydiving so much the memorial just made sense. Needless to say I finally convinced her to make the jump with the 30 or so other supporters. Well the jump went well and I opened a bit higher than normal. Once open she was crying, and started yelling to her son how she loved him and that Mommy did it. She said, he would be so proud of her. She cried the whole way down as did I. After landing she hugged me and couldnt say thank you enough. She actually said she has never felt so close to her son, since his death. What a emotional trip. Unforgetable.

beautiful...

Taking my Mom.

Again.

She's awesome. Check her out geeking the camera...
(she's 61 and didn't want her cheeks flapping :))
She's fearless. I'm scared out of my mind of course. :)

I love her with all my heart.

Karen

http://www.exitshot.com

I took a blind guy on tandem who after the jump thought it was the greatest thing ever. He is by far the tops on my student list. We did a poised exit out of an Otter that felt like I was jumping solo there was zero tension as we stepped off, a perfect poised exit with no rotation on the hill.
Memento Mori

Taking my Mom.

Again.

She's awesome. Check her out geeking the camera...
(she's 61 and didn't want her cheeks flapping :))
She's fearless. I'm scared out of my mind of course. :)

I love her with all my heart.

Karen

Aww...
Thats schweeet ;)

Your Mom looks remarkably composed in that picture all things considered B|

ps// bet you were nervous!