Cookiemunster

Wind Tunnel in Colorado

Because...

I did at one time offer my couch to anyone flying in to use the tunnel. All I ask for is a couple minutes.

I don't wanna hear your excuses!!! pictures, get to it;)

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Norm Rosendale was nice enough to give me a walkaround of the site this afternoon. I am very impressed. I knew there was a lot of new technology that went into the skyventure wind tunnels, but I was amazed at what I saw out there.

Here are some pictures I took:

sideview - the tunnel as it stands today.

turnvane2 - a closeup of the fans and the turnvane which directs the air down the return air tower.

insidetower - in the basement looking up through the return air tower at the turnvane.

lookingup - looking up from the basement at the fans through where the flight chamber will be. Where I am standing in the basement will be dedicated to turnvanes and airflow.

turnvane1 - the turnvane that will sit at the top of the diffuser between the fans. It is big enough that I could stand up in it without having to duck!

turnvane2 - a closeup of the fans and the turnvane which directs the air down the return air tower.

This is interesting. Maybe all the pieces aren't in it yet, but the turnvanes just look like a piece of the
wall set at a 45 degree angle. The turnvanes I know about usually involve several curved pieces in the
middle of the duct. I think they reduce turbulence as the air goes around the corner. They are pretty
common in the ductwork of forced-air heating and cooling systems:

http://www.offroadvw.net/tech/brad/fanshroudtech.htm
http://www.suncoastweb.com/aerodyne/assembly.htm
http://www.suncoastweb.com/aerodyne/installation.htm

Do you know if there are going to be more pieces inside those ducts, or do the pictures show their
final configuration?

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

The turning vanes are several aerofoil shaped curves. The purpose of these is to redirect the air around the 90 degree bend. They offer an amount of turbulance reduction.

Check out the UK's website as their are some better photos of the vanes for you to see www.airkix.com - their tunnel is the same design as Colorado

:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

The turning vanes are difficult to see in the pictures. As someone else said, they are curved, airfoil shaped pieces of metal (even though they appear to be 45 degree slats). One of my first questions when I got there was if there were large energy losses in the turn vanes. Norm said that usually energy losses associated with turning air is enormous, however with the skyventure design, they have reduced the energy losses considerably. They had a number of experts in the field work on the design and this was the final product. Apparently what they caome up with was so innovative that NASA is interested in the technology.

And yes, Norm said they are looking very good for a December opening!

Lucky for me!!!!!!!!! :ph34r: I work about a mile from the new tunnel and live about 6 miles from from it. I pass it every day. I had no idea what it was until the fans were installed. Does anybody know if there will be coaching available? I have never done any tunnel work, but am really looking forward to it since it's ALOT closer than the DZ for me. It could make for some fun / expensive lunch breaks.

by any chance did Norm mention if everything was moving along as scheduled, or did he maybe say they'd be open early:D??!!

Norm told me they are on schedule.

Grant asked:

Does anybody know if there will be coaching available? I have never done any tunnel work, but am really looking forward to it

Yes, there will be coaching.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Does anyone know why the Airkix (Milton Keynes, UK) and Colorado tunnels are so superficially different to the Perris, Orlando, and Eloy tunnels?

Perris, Orlando and Eloy are open air tunnels, they are all located in climates that are pretty well stable temp wise. Airkix,Colorado and New Hampshire (i think that is the other one going up) are recirculating tunnels that are in climates can be colder. Making them recirculate they can use the heat off the motors to heat the air in the chamber. The temps can be controlled by opening and closing the outside air intake to bring in more cool air as needed.

Least that is my guess ;)

Edited for typo and shitty spelling, im sure there is more I missed too :D
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Does anyone know why the Airkix (Milton Keynes, UK) and Colorado tunnels are so superficially different to the Perris, Orlando, and Eloy tunnels?

The "standard" design SkyVenture tunnels are all "total loss" systems. They suck air in from the bottom, through the venturi (flying chamber) and blow it out the top after it passes the electric motors. The Colorado design is a recirculating tunnel, as is the one on Fort Bragg (though it looks totally different) and, I am assuming, the Bedford tunnel.

Chuck

Anyone know if the recirculating tunnels are quieter? The Perris tunnel struck me as being just a little too noisy for a built-up area.

I know that there is quite a bit of noise dampening built into the diffuser. Norm had me walk up to one of the diffuser pieces (they are the big metal pieces in the foreground of this picture) and yell into it....It completely absorbed the noise - there was absolutely no echo whatsoever. How much noise it will make remains to be seen, but I have to imagine it will be much quieter than a non-recirculating tunnel.

The majority of the noise in open tunnels comes from the air passing over the net, the re-circulating tunnel will still have the net but it won't have the one at the bottom of the opening like the open ones do, so one less net may very well greatly reduce the noise.

I would love to fly in a tunnel quiet enough for other people to hear me swearing when I bounce off the walls:P
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Speaking of nets. Norm was telling me that the wire (if that's what you would call that) on the net has been changed out at the tunnel in Florida and it seems that the material used for the net added to the noise level. The Colorado tunnel will be using the same material that is being used in Florida's tunnel.

Dawn, I too stood in the area that Dave was talking about and yelled. I was shocked how quiet it was. You'll just have to head out this way this winter and give it a try and then hit the slopes with me. You do have a place to stay;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

The difference in the new type of wire is that there is an extra cable coiled into it in a way that allows air to pass more cleanly around it. Or so I've been told, I didn't get to go into the Orlando tunnel before it was change but it is definitely quieter than the bragg tunnel which has a bunch of ropes going across it.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Dont want to throw the cat amongst the pidgeons too much....

But majority of the noise will come from the fan blades for sure! Interesting talk on the net though :P

The noise output from the blades is directly linked to the number of blades/rpm of the fan. With this you get the frequency of the noise which is also a key factor...

:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

fan blades don't tend to make as much noise as props do although I remember something about bearings I think it is that makes the fans loud.

all nets sing at high speed, that's what I call it anyway..

we know the SV net is a major source of noise because without it the tunnel is refreshingly quiet;) the new net has a cable wrapped around it (each strand).. reminds me of the thread on a screw.. works very nicely..although I haven't heard it installed I only know about the testing before hand.