Cookiemunster

Wind Tunnel in Colorado

Do farts stay in the tunnel? When we get it, we'll have to find a way to trap them inside, make it authentic! That brings up another question, do they smell different in an otter than a king air? We might have to do a little research next month . . .

Do farts stay in the tunnel?

Yep, what happens in the tunnel, stays in the tunnel. ;)

When we get it, we'll have to find a way to trap them inside, make it authentic! That brings up another question, do they smell different in an otter than a king air? We might have to do a little research next month . . .

I understand that to simulate a King Air, there will be a dozen experienced jumpers standing off to the side in the tunnel with faraway looks in their eyes. To simulate the Otter, they will add a half dozen more.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Yep, what happens in the tunnel, stays in the tunnel.

ewwwwwwwww!
hahaha goodluck by the way... i lost a few hair bands in the wind tunnel.... a few ear plugs too! (i have no idea how they found their way past the helmet)
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

I understand that to simulate a King Air, there will be a dozen experienced jumpers standing off to the side in the tunnel with faraway looks in their eyes. To simulate the Otter, they will add a half dozen more.

And the tunnel simulating the King Air must have uncomfortably small doors but power up faster

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

no no no, you people have it all wrong!!! we would all go into a broom closet and fart in an enclosed area, so it would be more like farting in a plane, you wouldn't do it in the tunnel!!

come on i can't think of everything:S
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Yeah, I had the same thought, but it's more fun to mock King Air's. Their owners take it so personally.

Edit: Actually, one of my teammates is particularly gifted in that area. Also farting. He was front float on a 16 way we were on one day out of an otter. He farted while on float position outside the airplane and the smell made the pilot swear.

Yeah, I know, lot's of bodies and the natural airflow is back inside and rotate to the cockpit, but still. The real goal is if we can make that happen while he's rear float.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Point 1 - farting in king airs vs. otters... I learned that in the otter there is an emergency exit across from the door. At least the otter in San Diego had an exit there... If you sit by the door - you are protected from farts - kind of like a protective layer of fresh air leaking thru the seals... It also protects you from your own farts, so you can fart all you want, as long as you can keep a poker face and blame someone else.:$

Point 2 - recirculating... I was in the Perris tunnel when there was an unfortunate incident between the tunnel and one of our furry friends that was naturally born with feathers and wings... I found feathers in my jumpsuit a month after the incident. Me thinks I rather smell farts going in circles than the alternative of feathers and dead birds. ;-)

Travis

Right around then......need a place to stay let me know...I live across the street.

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

Point 1 - farting in king airs vs. otters... I learned that in the otter there is an emergency exit across from the door. At least the otter in San Diego had an exit there... If you sit by the door - you are protected from farts - kind of like a protective layer of fresh air leaking thru the seals... It also protects you from your own farts, so you can fart all you want, as long as you can keep a poker face and blame someone else.:$

Here's another trick if you sit near the door(s) in the otter: Once your teammate let's one go, wait a bit for it to expand. Then open the door about 6 inches and count to 5 slowly - shut the door. It will almost perfectly place the moist air mass in the cabin just short of the cockpit.

It will be a re-circulating tunnel!!!

There will be NO FARTING in the CO tunnel :P Seriously. We have to deal enough with that on the planes.

The heat will kill you long before the smell of the fart :S:S;):D
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

It will be a re-circulating tunnel!!!

There will be NO FARTING in the CO tunnel :P Seriously. We have to deal enough with that on the planes.

The heat will kill you long before the smell of the fart :S:S;):D

Fixable, no problem! Just add an AC somewheres in the circuit. How do you expect those tunnel rats to survive in the real world if they've never dealt with the "flatulence experience"? (coming to a tunnel near you!).

Fixable, no problem! Just add an AC somewheres in the circuit.

You've obviously never been to Flyaway, omg the heat[:/]. They have an AC, it does nothing! In Vegas, an instructor lost 9lbs in one day:S[:/]:o
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

You've obviously never been to Flyaway, omg the heatUnsure. They have an AC, it does nothing!

Tunnels can be cooled ;) just need to install the right size/type of unit. Many science tunnels regulate temperature...

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

You've obviously never been to Flyaway, omg the heatUnsure. They have an AC, it does nothing!

Tunnels can be cooled ;) just need to install the right size/type of unit. Many science tunnels regulate temperature...

Okay, how big would an AC unit have to be? What would the costs be like?

Those poor FlyAway guys should have AC envy :D I guess Size does matter ;)
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Those poor FlyAway guys should have AC envy :D I guess Size does matter ;)

Well the size would have to depend on the thermal properties of the flatulence.

Without going into local ambient / structural influence etc you could guess at least 50% of the motor power would need to go into a cooling unit. Our chillers are HUGE and cost an arm and a leg - but to get a regulated flow temperature it is necessary.

Well the size would have to depend on the thermal properties of the flatulence.

This is the reason we do not allow lighted matches in the tunnel :D we need to ensure the recirculated gases remain un-harmful at least in the temperature stakes anyhow! :P

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

Hey Paige..

Just for reference.... your home cooling systems takes care of a thousand cubic feet air.. and cools it... you know about how much that costs each month..

Now a tunnel AC unit.. needs to cool over a MILLION cubic feet of air PER SECOND...

That would make it about what.. a hundred times larger & more expensive than the average home unit...:o

Although we have our own working theory... that you could use water to cool the air, instead of AC... which, if we can make it work.. will mean ALL tunnels could afford a cooling system.. B|

Pink Suits, Blue Skies & Fast Tunnels,
Dawn Suiter

:o:o:o:o:o Now that's some serious cash and AC! Thanks for putting that into terms even I can understand and compare ;)

That water theory sounds pretty sweet, would we get wet in there then? I'm sure that's the dumbest question and not at all how it would work but hey, for the sake of knowledge :D
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

When using water to cool things you need to have a relativly dry enviroment for it to be effective. A swamp cooler type of mechanism doesn't work very well in Houston or Florida if you know what I mean. Also using the water could help to thicken the air up a little, as the field elevation of this tunnel will be 5,000+ feet. I think the main reason for the recirculating design is to keep the heat in the air. This will be huge, as it it still very FUCKING COLD here right now. You lowland florida types don't get to much snow, so you become sissyfied, and spoiled with your year round jumping. OK enough ranting and raging.

Water cooling / AC / etc are all pretty much the same idea - if you have a free source of cold water then that works great! Build your tunnel next to a lake and you have no problems :D

I am guessing you mean using cold water to cool a coil or heat exchange of some sort in the air? If so its just then a question of pumping and source.....

Our lack of lake side premises means we are installing mechanical chillers (ie AC) which cool a water/glycol mix this cooling is transferred to the air via air heat exchange coils (much like a car radiator in reverse)

And as you say Dawn - is expensive! but well worth it for the quality of environment... I did consider just moving the UK to Florida - but that was pricey too!

:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk